Page 1 of 2
I've been reading on UG for a while and people here seem to hate his tone. And yesterday I read a column on UG and he says his tone is a tone that most 16 year old kids into metal would hate. He says this happens because it sounds bad turned down as opposed to being turned up. Anyways I was pissing around with my amp and my band yesterday and turned my mids up all the way and cranked the amp, to my suprise it cut through very well during solos. Has anybody else ever tried this?

Sorry if this thread is stupid, I'm bored and I was just wondering.:P
yeah tried it, have to have mids in a band situation to cut through - the high end frequency is dominated by cymbals, and bass obviously by the bass, so mids go to vocals and guitars
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
well, many ug'ers are 16 year old metalheads, after all.
meh, im 13 and i never really disliked or especially liked his tone. hell, i never realyl paid attention.
here's his equipment for his tone:

technique
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

^Fingers are critical to your tone, man.

Anyway, yeah, I always boost my mids and highs for solos.
yeh, his tone's also pretty damn good for someone who uses EMG HZs and solid state amps
Ibanez RG1570
Epiphone Black Beauty
Line 6 Spider II 112
BOSS CS-3 Compression Sustainer
SS amps? Really.....could you be more specific?

And with the HZ's, he says he uses them because it allows him to use a built in gain booster more effectively...he complained of the overload of gain that it gave him with active EMG's and the booster, so he went with passives.
^Yeah, no matter what Mr. Laiho says, I can't stand HZs. I played them in an Epi ZW Les Paul, which is an awesome guitar by the way, and they sounded so weak...
Quote by Danno13
^Yeah, no matter what Mr. Laiho says, I can't stand HZs. I played them in an Epi ZW Les Paul, which is an awesome guitar by the way, and they sounded so weak...

Eh, Epiphone guitars are garbage unless you're a beginner, so don't make assumptions based on them. You gotta play HIS guitar to hear how good they sound...
It though he used JCMs not sure which model tho
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
Quote by Stratwizard
Eh, Epiphone guitars are garbage unless you're a beginner, so don't make assumptions based on them. You gotta play HIS guitar to hear how good they sound...

I generally agree with you, but the Wylde, and mosst of their other sig guitars, are quite nice.

IMO they'd sound worse in his guitar, which as far as I know is Alder, and since the H4 is voiced like an 81, it would be ear-piercing.
Quote by Danno13

IMO they'd sound worse in his guitar, which as far as I know is Alder, and since the H4 is voiced like an 81, it would be ear-piercing.

Well, I played it through a VHT amp and it sounded wicked!
what I mean about technique is that I can make a spider 2 sound better than 99% of people could on it.

Fingers is the MAIN factor in tone IMO. Look at this, if you buy a dual recto, do you not suck? no, you still do. even if you can play with no feeling, it's not gonna make it sound good now

Laiho is basically an older version of my mind

i was influenced by his playing style before I even knew who he was. he understands more about the musical instrument than anyone on this site. I'm getting off topic, but a big chunk (I know not all of you are) are just teenagers playing guitar to be cool and don't understand ANYTHING about music. Laiho played violin before guitar. interesting coincedence, you think?

edit: also, about his gear related tone, the h4 is great for him. he has plenty of distortion you goons, and gets amazing riffy tones from it. also, he only uses a bridge pickup, for high fast stuff even. an 81 would be way too harsh, it'd get way messy and not articulate how he is. also, he's said he has "a distortion boost" on his guitars, which I don't really know what he means, but the 81 would cause mass feedback/mess

if you haven't noticed, Laiho knows what he's doing, so he knows what's good for him

off topicy- does anyone know the price of his LTD version sig? lately I've been using the bridge pickup for everything because I agree with him that it just has way more power and clarity in a way. it's way heavier, and for solos makes it scream harder

that's a big post

edit 2: I heard he used SS amps life, but tube amps in the studio. to be honest I've never read anything about what's specifically in his rig besides guitars.
I'm not racist.

Last edited by SpIkE27Z at May 6, 2006,
Quote by SpIkE27Z
what I mean about technique is that I can make a spider 2 sound better than 99% of people could on it.

By saying that you just proved you can't make it sound any better than anyone else.

Quote by SpIkE27Z

i was influenced by his playing style before I even knew who he was. he understands more about the musical instrument than anyone on this site. I'm getting off topic, but a big chunk (I know not all of you are) are just teenagers playing guitar to be cool and don't understand ANYTHING about music. Laiho played violin before guitar. interesting coincedence, you think?

He also studied jazz, but hell, there are people on this site who know more about music and theory than him.
^I'm not one of those people, but I'm certainly not just playing to be cool- I'm $1500 in, that's a bit much to "seem cool", no?
people that memorize theory, no one understands it an puts it into context like he does, or makes as creative lines.
you might want to re read what I said to, what I said was that I could make it sound better then 99% of people could on it. meaning, I make it sound better than 99%, and 1% maybe could make it sound better than me.

he did violin first, and took classical lessons. I'm willing to bet he pwned at it too. coincedence? NO

edit: danno, that wasn't directed at you, if that's what you're thinking
I'm not racist.

Last edited by SpIkE27Z at May 6, 2006,
Quote by SpIkE27Z
I make it sound better than 99%, and 1% maybe could make it sound better than me.

he did violin first, and took classical lessons. I'm willing to bet he pwned at it too. coincedence? NO

edit: danno, that wasn't directed at you, if that's what you're thinking

You're pretty damn arrogant... I'd love to hear your playing.

Well, he played violin as a kid. He got his first guitar when he was 11. So, I don't know how much he pwned at it. He also had mental problems as a child.
I never said you didn't know what you were talking about stratwizard. judging by the funny quote in your sig, you probably do know something

i made a recording of some far beyond the sun after I'd played for 4-5 months. try to find it, I posted it in covers once. I haven't heard it in a while but I remember it being pretty sweet for how long I'd played
I'm not racist.

Quote by AsShadowsRemain
What kind of mental problems? I've never heard of this before.

As a kid he often had problems with teachers and other pupils. He was also pretty lonely. He was dismissed from army due to mental problem, and he tried to commit suicide during the recordings of the first two COB albums.
wtf? really? I've never heard of any of that. He always seemed like a pretty happy dude to me. He's always smiling at thinks and having a good time in those instructional videos he's in.

I guess he just really turned his life around
I'm not racist.

Quote by SpIkE27Z
wtf? really? I've never heard of any of that. He always seemed like a pretty happy dude to me. He's always smiling at thinks and having a good time in those instructional videos he's in.

I guess he just really turned his life around

I've seen couple of Finnish interviews and I can tell he's pretty ****ed up.
I got to try one of the ltd alexi 600's today and it was AWESOME!!!

the ltd version goes for $1,099 in the US

i played it through a peavey XXX super 40 and i thought it sounded really good despite what ppl say about the HZ
Spike, there really are a few people who know theory and how to use it better than Laiho, as well as a few who can outplay him technically.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by The 1
I got to try one of the ltd alexi 600's today and it was AWESOME!!!

the ltd version goes for $1,099 in the US

i played it through a peavey XXX super 40 and i thought it sounded really good despite what ppl say about the HZ

Amp is 90% of everything, I had the EMG HZs in an agathis wood LTD M200FM and it sounded really good but then I plug in my USA Hamer with Duncan JB/Jazz pups and suddenly the sound becomes great vs. really good. Its that last 10% of tone you strive for with pup swaps and choice of woods.
Quote by Prophet of Page
Spike, there really are a few people who know theory and how to use it better than Laiho, as well as a few who can outplay him technically.

I can't think of any current band that uses it as well as CoB

in the general metally genre

The 1, how'd you like that amp? I'm about to buy one..has it got enough for metal like cob without further pedals and things?
I'm not racist.

yup, I know, i've just never played one, and I'm gonna have to order it before I try (deals gonna be gone)
but like, I just wanna make sure it's got enough distortion..for any metal. like, metallica...maybe an A7X tone

it should be good, I just need someone to convince me before i make a big purchase
I'm not racist.

Quote by SpIkE27Z
I can't think of any current band that uses it as well as CoB

in the general metally genre

one word...
OPETH
I know you were all worried about the peavey xxx thing I asked, but

I JUST ORDERED ONE OMFG YES!!

I'm so excited right now
I'm not racist.

Quote by Gopher636
one word...
OPETH

I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by Gopher636
one word...
OPETH

Lol there are a lot of others too. Norther, Dimmu Borgir, Old Man's Child, Dream Theater and so on.
Page 1 of 2