Page 1 of 2
Okay, after buying mediocre/low end equipment for 3 years, I have had enough, lol

Buying new stuff satisfies my craving for about 2 or 3 months, then I realise I havent really got any closer to what I really wanted. So I have decided to front up a lil extra cash, and buy the best.

In a couple of months I will be in possesion of a Deluxe Fender Stratocaster, as well as my current favourite electric (An Ibanez JTK-2, which is actually a remarkable guitar for the money, by far my best ever purchase, and even with the stock pickups sounds great!!!)

Anyway, getting to the point, my current amp is a Line 6 Spider II 75watt.
I'm looking to make the transition to a tube amp, but really have no idea which amps I should be looking at. Basically I am looking for something for predominately bedroom use, although ideally would be loud enough for band practise, so enough to compete with unmiked drums.

I am guessing from what I have read that I am looking for a tube amp of 20Watts maximum, but really have no idea.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Music styles are fairly generalised, as I play a bit of everything, but alot of classic rock, Dire Straits, Free, AC-DC, that kinda stuff. Although also play stuff like RHCP and Metallica as well, so looking for a fairly general sound.

Thanks for reading,

Bob
Playing guitar is an addiction, only without the liver damage and rehab clinics.
I've been reading reviews of Fender Blues Junior, and the Vox AC-15, any comments on these?
Playing guitar is an addiction, only without the liver damage and rehab clinics.
They're both great amps. Send Jenny (jj1565) a PM, she owns a Blues Junior, and I believe she has some clips on her Dmusic.
Both really, but at the end of the day, I could live with mediocre cleans, if I got a great crunch kinda sound. What I am really craving is a rich, natural overdriven sound.
Laney LC-15 is starting to look quite nice, although its alot cheaper than all the aforementioned ones, does this mean it is not quite in the same league?
Well, I'm in the UK, so my absolute max budget is probably £400, which is about $700 roughly.
Well, the AC15 sounds like it would be a great choice, but you'll also need to buy an overdrive pedal with it. That way you can boost the distortion for Metallica tones.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
as i see it... these are your options

Fender Blues Junior: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=341

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (if you can get another £69): http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=9794

Laney LC30: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=382

Laney VC30: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=380

Laney LC15: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=9545

Peavey Classic 30: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=447

Peavey Valve King (not as good cleans as the others but a better built in OD/Dist. channel though this amp is not for everyone): http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=68977

Vox AC15: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=69345
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

if your in the uk then sod the peaveys, their WAY overpriced. as for the dsl combo, it sounds a lil, i dunno, thin to me.
Thanks for all the responses guys, they are much appreciated. Think I am starting to lean towards the Laney ones now, although this is all just based on online research, I know I'll need to try them in a store first.

Whats the main difference between the Laney LC30 and the Laney VC30, anyone know?

Again, thanks for all the continued input!
the pignose gv40 is a really great small tube amp. Not enough people reccomend them here but they're good.. They give a great rock or overdriven sound and they arent too loud for bedroom or around the house practice... The cleans are meh, but I believe thats just due to the tubes in the thing and the lack of effects due to none being built in.

EDIT: I suppose it wouldn't be all that great for europeans as I hear its harder/more expensive to buy em out of the USA.
Quote by .50 Caliber Bob
Thanks for all the responses guys, they are much appreciated. Think I am starting to lean towards the Laney ones now, although this is all just based on online research, I know I'll need to try them in a store first.

Whats the main difference between the Laney LC30 and the Laney VC30, anyone know?

Again, thanks for all the continued input!

The sound, mosty, something you'll have to decide about yourself.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
VC30 is supposed to be a "Poor Man's AC30", if that helps at all. It's basically got less gain the LC30 and a better clean channel I believe.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
here's the thing.

the blues junior is loud, all 15W tubes are. they are hard to use in ur bedroom.
the problem is getting a "good" metal tone out of it. not just a digital metal.

ive heard, the laney15 has a few quality control issues. a fuse problem and in the states are hard to get fixed. but they offer the gain ur looking for.
in the UK not a problem.

the new tube crate series is fine. i tried them out, bought the blues jr, but u might want to give them a look. they arent expensive and offer gain.

peaveys are 30W way too loud for bedroom use.

i also just picked up a 5W epi head. (im running thru a combo amp speaker.)
i mention this because they are easier to use in bedroom, are $99 shipped, and u can stack a couple of them on a cab if u need more power.
strange but fun.

traynor makes a 20, and a 40. i only got to try a few used ones but they make a pretty good amp. the 40 is better, but way more than u need.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by SamDking
VC30 is supposed to be a "Poor Man's AC30", if that helps at all. It's basically got less gain the LC30 and a better clean channel I believe.

I know some people that prefer the VCs over the Vox ACs. It's all taste, and they're both quite similar.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Jenny- You're right about alot of things, especially the wattage issues.

Firstly, its a practice amp. A bedroom amp. Its nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get a 'cranked' metal tone at bedroom volumes. You can get close...

If volume is an issue at under 40w you're going to be looking at speakers, really. A 40w tube amp with an 8" speaker is MUCH quieter than a 40w tube amp with a 12" speaker.

Classic 20 (used)
Classic 30
LC/VC 30 (I wouldn't want the 15w version, not enough control imo)
Pignose GV40
Blues Junior
Delta Blues

Those are the basic 15-30w tube combos that I know of.

Now, they can get a clean tone, and throw down a pedal and you'll have a nice distortion tone, too. It wont do rectified tones, but it'll hit all the way up until you get to metal.

For metal you have a couple options- an EQ and TWO overdrives or a high quality distortion pedal. I'm talking about most likely a modded distortion or OD pedal or a high quality Distortion Pedal such as a Krank or Mesa/Boogie pedal.

You have to remember- its not Distortion through tube amp that sounds bad, its a slight tube breakup THEN adding a cheap distortion pedal that sucks.

A recap-
Wattage is a factor, however, in my opinion speaker size is the biggest factor for bedroom practice. a 30w 1x12 is louder than a 40w 1x8. You can layer OD pedals rather than crank your amp to get a decent metal crunch as long as you buy a quality pedal

The biggest issue, as with practice/bedroom amps, is the metal tone. Make sure you've got a guitar suited for metal, with a nice cutting and tight pickup, make sure that you watch your distortion or OD level, not your gain. Distortion = Fuzz. Gain / Level = Cut. If you have a tight amp, run a tight signal through it, you'll get a tight tone. Stay away from tons of distortion or OD if you want to play metal, for rock its fine and you can tune it accordingly, but getting a metal tone out of smaller amps is tricky.
genocide, I understand everything you're saying and I can see you know what you're talking about but am I the only one who thinks it's a little over-the-top for bedroom practising? Sure everyone wants a nice tone, but at low volumes, this can be acheived reasonably well with a modelling amp.

A tight metal tone is what you require at gigging volumes, but tbh just in your bedroom it's not really necessary.

Just my opinion.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
And you're almost entirely right.. but if he wants a tube amp he wants a tube amp, I gave him the best answer I could, lol.

Personally I don't like SS/modeling amps that much, I'd much rather have a nice tube combo for practice but I can't afford one.. So I juse my half stack when I plug in

remember, with OD pedals and a bit of boost you dont HAVE to crank your amp.

I also reccomended the GV40, which has a master volume control, which is VERY VERY helpful in attaining a decent tone at a low volume- in all honesty I just might buy one for practice.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
And you're almost entirely right.. but if he wants a tube amp he wants a tube amp, I gave him the best answer I could, lol.

Personally I don't like SS/modeling amps that much, I'd much rather have a nice tube combo for practice but I can't afford one.. So I juse my half stack when I plug in

remember, with OD pedals and a bit of boost you dont HAVE to crank your amp.

I also reccomended the GV40, which has a master volume control, which is VERY VERY helpful in attaining a decent tone at a low volume- in all honesty I just might buy one for practice.

I have to agree, a master volume is very useful. When I plug into my Traynor for bedroom practice, a push the tubes pretty hard, but the tones are great. The master does tend to make a bit more noise, + you can end up with some subtle break-up of the clean channel, even at low volumes. However, it makes your tone a lot more natural sounding and very forceful. If you're after Metallica tones, a master volume is a great option to have (an attenuator is even better, but they can be pricey).
Well with a small wattage amp like a 15 or 30w you could probably get away with one of those 50w weber attenuators..? they're a decent price arent they?
Yeah, that would probably work. I had a THD Hotplate in mind, since they're ever-so reliable. They would work wonders with a smaller tube amp, but they're a little more pricey.
eek, atenuators are kind of expensive. probably what he needs but some are as much as the amp.

i dont know, are there cheap ones?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
This maybe?

https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/weber/minimass.htm

Its half the price of a THD.. and well, its a Weber, so I'd assume its of the highest quality.
has the Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20th Aniversery been mentioned yet?

20watts, all tube. and its about 700USD.

everyone seems to overlook that amp...but he mentioned he wanted that luch overdriven crunch..which this amp does perfectly.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
has the Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20th Aniversery been mentioned yet?

20watts, all tube. and its about 700USD.

everyone seems to overlook that amp...but he mentioned he wanted that luch overdriven crunch..which this amp does perfectly.

Its pretty pricey, though, for a 20w tube amp.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Its pretty pricey, though, for a 20w tube amp.

price=quality sound with that amp though.

and after all his budget is about 700USD. you can the H&K for cheaper if you bargain right.
You can uber- lowball it and get one of epiphones valve series. Supposed to be good, don't know about metal though.

He he, bedroom warrior . I feel like a 12 year old.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Page 1 of 2