First I was looking into a Peavey 6505 Head, but it was to less versatile for me. I'd like to play punk like Offspring, Bad Religion, classic rock like ac/dc, but most of the time I'd like to play metal and nu-metal like metallica, slipknot, papa roach, A7X, Bullet for my valentine...
It schould have some nice cleans too...

I was looking at the Peavey XXX Head. Is it good?
Any other suggestions?
Price range is under 1200US$
could I get a nice metal sound out of the marshall?
I wasn't able to get a good metal sound out of the marshall I played, I don't know the model right now
is the 401 only a combo or does a head version exist?
cause on musiciansfriend they only have a dsl401 combo, bu I'd like to have a head
marshall does a 50 and 100 watt head version of the DSL 401, and yes they can do metal.

matt heafy from Trivium uses a DSL100 with a maxon OD-808 as a boost, and if trivium arent metal i dont know what is.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

^ That was a joke, right...?

Vox has some really versatile amps...
GEAR:
Washburn x10 "Washy"
Ibanez S470DXQM "Kimberly"
BC Rich NJ strat "Sydney"
Roland Cube 60
Vox V847
Boss OD1
Boss CE2
Digitech Death Metal
Russian Big Muff PI
DOD Deth Metal
Ibanez SM9
You'd probably want the DSL50, 100 watts is retarded.

And Trivium are hardcore. The next album MIGHT be metal if he stops screaming and works more melody into the riffs, but for now, they're hardcore.
it would probably actually be good for you. it's got a bright sound, which probably more suits your style of music. yet, it'll do metal well too.
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

Quote by hairball
marshall does a 50 and 100 watt head version of the DSL 401, and yes they can do metal.

matt heafy from Trivium uses a DSL100 with a maxon OD-808 as a boost, and if trivium arent metal i dont know what is.

Seem trivium a few times an Matt's always using a couple of 5150's
i have a XXX. i don't think you want it. it doesn't to classic rock. which is a reall bugger.

if i were you, i'd go for a used ENGL screamer combo.
there's sound clips and such here ( www.rocksolidamps.com ) and you could check ebay for some good deals.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
The Peavey JSX is a really cool amp. Loads of sounds. You can run the master volume flat out and use your gain as volume. It gives a pretty good marshall, AC/DC kinda sound like that, or run it as normal and its molten metal all the way and everythin in-between. One of the guys in Arch Enemy uses one. There a little unreliable though. A friends got one and its been back to the store THREE times coz it kept giving up.
^ the guy from arch enemy used 5150's, now he uses Krank. the jsx is more of a shred amp than anything.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

ah.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

yeah, i think it sucks. sounds either fizzy and solid state with the treble up. try to turn it down and get the fizzy out, it turns to pitch-black mush. like a fat kid in a winter coat is standing in front of the speakers. way overpriced too.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Sorry to ruin your life even more, but he's not kidding. Krank's are horrible.

Threadstarter....IMO, the XXX is much more versatile than people give it credit. Though its classic rock and clean tones are not the best, they are definitely usable.

But it does excel at high gain tones.
eh, some people love them. i've heard SOME good tones out of them (arch enemy). but that's it.

eric: he, it's got to much gain for classic rock, imo. i can get maiden but nothing really lower gain. the cleans i think a great. squat compared to my fender, but i'm more than happy with them.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Last edited by gpderek09 at May 7, 2006,