Hey guys.

I've been using ultimate guitar for tabs for quite a while now, but I am brand new to this forum, so please bear with me.

I've been playing guitar for about 3 years now. My first was an acoustic Yamaha F-310 P, which has served me well. I also picked up a beginner electric, a behringer, about a year afterwards, but I have found that I always tend to gravitate more towards my acoustic.

With that in mind, I think my ear is evolved past what my yamaha can give me. I have gotten a ton better and I can do some songs that I would consider difficult. I'm not an expert yet... but i'm not a beginner. I'd say i'm intermediate. And i'd like to purchase a new, nicer and more advanced acoustic.

My friend just bought his first guitar, an Art & Lutherie, for 300 dollars, and, being solid spruce, it sounds quite good. Mine is laminated so the sound quality is apparently diminished quite a bit. Hearing his, I realized that it's time that I upgrade.

I'm in the process of shopping around right now, but the selection around my area is fairly limited, so I was hoping you guys could recommend an acoustic for me that would be good for an intermediate like me based on the following specifications:

-Looking for really good sound quality. That's my most important part. I want it very deep and rich and beautiful, and I think in order to do this I will need a solid top, un-laminated solid wood guitar.
-I would like to obtain a cutaway, so I can get at those upper frets easier for some more advanced playing.
-Six strings (steel)
-My yamaha is a jumbo, so wouldn't have a problem with my new one being similar
-I'm not really opposed to an electric-acoustic, being that I don't have a ton of knowledge on them. My cousins have one that they use to play live at clubs, but i'm not sure at all whether I want one for myself or not.
-I'm willing to pay pretty good for it, but I should probably try to keep it under 1000 dollars.
-No problem with it looking nice, either.

Hmmm... I think that's all i've been thinking of. If I think of any more features I would prefer in a guitar, I will post them, or if any of u have suggestions I will be very grateful.

Thank-you guys so much, hope you can help.
I don't think that Yamaha F310s come in jumbo, maybe you are thinking of a dreadnought

but I would like to suggest to you a Larrivee guitar. They are absolutely amazing, and quite good looking. http://www.notableguitars.com/FORMgallery3.htm They may be a bit out of your range though (about $1200-up to $5000) but even the $1200 acoustics are amazing.

Or perhaps a Guild acoustic. I have played some in a music shop, and the sound is amazing. Guilds are relatively good priced, about $600-$1000 and their sound is very rich and deep.
I think the model I played was a GAD-30 Auditorium http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=513141

Alvarez acoustics are also very good, as I got a lower end Alvarez, and the sound quality is amazing. The sound can be compared to $800 guitars, even though it was $200. I would assume the higher end models have an even better sound.

You may also want to look into Taylors and Martins (the usual suggested ones), but I just wanted to give you some more options with the other brands.
Years ago I was in the same situation as you. My 'intermediate' guitar was, and still is an Alvarez. The wood quality, craftsmanship, and electronics (if you're looking for an el-acoustic) are all very good. Some of their mid range guitars 300-500USD or so are absolutely amazing. Check out their website, look at the woods available, the styles available, pick out what you want it for. I still use my 'intermediate' guitar for gigs because of the amazing versatility of the 600 series preamp on it. Give it a shot at a local store and see what you like.
I also really like Alvarez guitars. If you are looking to spend under $1000 and still want an amazing guitar, I really suggest you check out the Alvarez MD90. Its the guitar I play...all solid wood (englemann spruce top and indian rosewood sides and bacK) for only about $700! Very punchy midtones, great bass response, and a nice ring on the top end of things. If you get a change to play one, I really recommend it. If you're interested in a cutaway and electronics, I know they sell that version for between $900 and $1000. Happy Hunting!

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Thanks guys! Those are really good suggestions. I did some searching around and had a look at all of the guitars u recommended, although it doesn't help much without me being able to hold them and try playing them.

It's pretty tough too to find Taylors and Martins that are below a 1000 dollars, only a couple from each company it seems.

It looks, however, that you guys all agree on alvarez. I had a look at the MD90 that roamingbard suggested and it looks quite nice. I was a little suprised at first to see no pick guard on it... will have to be extra careful with the strumming. I'm gonna find the nearest store carrying alvarez and give them a test. If they sound as amazing as you guys describe, i'm sure I'll want it quite badly.

I do want the cutaway, but as for electric acoustics, my assumption is they are more expensive, so two guitars of equal price, one being elec, and one being normal, I would assume the non-elec would be a higher quality guitar. Am I right?

I'm thinkin about possibly gettin the elec, and using it as a regular guitar, and then get an amp if I choose sometime at a later date. I would like to perform eventually, and I might need an el acoustic to do it I would imagine... I would like it to be the best quality non-plugged-in guitar I can get for the price, and I suppose there's nothing wrong with keeping my options open for plugging it in if I choose to in the future. But... we'll have to see about that.

Thanks for the help guys... any more suggestions?
Quote by MrSixString

It looks, however, that you guys all agree on alvarez. I had a look at the MD90 that roamingbard suggested and it looks quite nice. I was a little suprised at first to see no pick guard on it...

I do want the cutaway, but as for electric acoustics, my assumption is they are more expensive, so two guitars of equal price, one being elec, and one being normal, I would assume the non-elec would be a higher quality guitar. Am I right?

I'm thinkin about possibly gettin the elec, and using it as a regular guitar, and then get an amp if I choose sometime at a later date. I would like to perform eventually, and I might need an el acoustic to do it I would imagine... I would like it to be the best quality non-plugged-in guitar I can get for the price, and I suppose there's nothing wrong with keeping my options open for plugging it in if I choose to in the future. But... we'll have to see about that.

Thanks for the help guys... any more suggestions?

The guitar comes with a pick guard...you just have to put it on yourself. I never used it, it really detracted from the looks of the guitar. I am looking to see if I can get a thin clear pickguard for mine though.

When it comes to holding an acoustic guitar that is a $1000, and an A/E that is $1000, the one without a pickup will be a much better guitar. Figure that a pickup and preamp will add around $200 to the price of a guitar. When it comes to performing, it is so easy to mic the guitar to use it, or you can get a soundhole pickup for less then $100 that will do the trick for the occasional gig. If you perform more often, you could spend the $200 or $300 later and buy a nice preamp and acoustic pickup.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Cole Clark are an Australian brand of guitar, very new company but are making incredible guitars, I don't know where in the world you are but I would definately consider getting one shipped out, they're very cheap for the amazing quality and are getting rave reviews all over, the acoustics are called Fat ladys, there's a FL1, 2, & 3, and the prices are something like 1300 1700 & 3000, ($au)
The mind is not a vessel to be filled, it is a fire to be kindled.
I went to the guitar shop today to test some acoustics out, and I was amazed by some of the Yahamas. The Yahama DW for example costs £379 (roughly $600) and sounds similar (but not the same) as my £700 Taylor. Very very good projection, and even though it's a dreadnought, it fingerpicks like a beauty.

I then tried a Avalon legacy series and I was speechless... if you ever get the chance to try one of these, do. Every single note played on it has the resonance a crystal glass has when you flick it...amazing guitars.

But I highly reccoment the Yahama DW, it's such a solid guitar.

htpp://www.olivergoldingmusic.com
i have an avalon silver series, quite a bit lower down than the legacy but a very nice instrument nontheless. could be quite hard to get a hold of, but worth trying if you have a chance
"Anytime but now
Anywhere but here
Anyone but me
I've got to think about my own life
The world is not our facility
We have a responsibility
To use our abilities to keep this place alive," said ian mackaye
i also love alvarez acoustics, but my favorite guitar in your price range is the breedlove AD25-SR Plus (clicky). they are generally tagged right at a thousand dollars. the guitar has a solid spruce top and a solid rosewood back. it has a cutaway and comes with a fishman classic 4 pickup system. you said you don't know much about acoustic-electrics and/or pickup systems but i assure you that you will find that the general consensus surrounding fishman electronics is that they are fantastic. the best thing about the guitar is the tone. these guitars are incredibly full sounding with really deep and boomy bass tones. breedlove also makes a similar guitar, the AD25-SM (clicky) with a solid mohagany back, so you might wanna check that one out also. i think the mohagany ones are about $200 cheaper and i actually came across one mohagany that sounded AT LEAST as good, if not better, than the rosewood models. based on appearance AND tone though, i don't think you can beat the AD25-SR Plus for the money. it is a BEAUTIFUL looking and sounding instrument! if you have a guitar center nearby go and check these two out. the three guitar centers i have been to all carried and stocked breedlove so i think you should be able to come across one.
Quote by Luke2
Cole Clark are an Australian brand of guitar, very new company but are making incredible guitars, I don't know where in the world you are but I would definately consider getting one shipped out, they're very cheap for the amazing quality and are getting rave reviews all over, the acoustics are called Fat ladys, there's a FL1, 2, & 3, and the prices are something like 1300 1700 & 3000, ($au)

Hear hear!!! Cole Clarks are extremely nice - get one if you can!
I played a AD25 Plus last weekend and was pleased with the sound. I went in to play a Taylor 410 CE, and both sounded nice unplugged. But when I plugged each into an amp, the Taylor was nothing compared the to Breedlove. But then the salesman showed me a Martin Custom (MMV GC model or something) for $1100 which sounded pretty darned good, and had more volume than the others I played. But I just may pick up that Breedlove. It was easier to play than the Martin.
College. ... ? . !!
There's no need to talk when we have medicine.
I have a Zager Zad 80 which I love. It is pretty basic but sounds great. It sounds like you would like the Zager Zad80CE which has the venetian cutaway and and custom electronics. They are on sale right now for $745 at Zagerguitars.com. They have a professional set up on them and have a lifetime guarantee.

If you don't like it you can return it and they pay the shipping.

No I am not being paid to say this stuff. I've had mine for a few months and am so pleased with it I want to spread the word. I paid $600 for mine. If you would like to hear it go to my website and listen to the top 4 songs in the rotation as they were recorded with my Zad 80