I dunno if this thread is in the right area...but oh well.

I was just wondering if theres a way you can get that kinda scratched/muffed up look on stratocaster type guitars. The kind where the finish seems to have been worn off and you can see the plain wood. I've seen a few guitarists with guitars like it and just think it looks pretty cool. Is there any way I could achieve this? a quicker way than 'using it for years' would be nice.
i agree with the sanding but i also think that the concept is gay...u want to have a worn guitar u play the **** outta it...just a thought tho...otherwise try using a knife to chip headstock or wutever for the full authentic look
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

so you wanna take a guitar...and make it look like its been used heavily for 30 years...in about 5 minutes?

sandpaper.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
so you wanna take a guitar...and make it look like its been used heavily for 30 years...in about 5 minutes?

sandpaper.

Yeah its only a stratocaster copy, not my best guitar, thought I'd just give it a try
the way I see it is that a guitar has to earn those markings over time. The wear and tear makes the guitar more endearing and it shows that its held up over time.
I don't know how to do this, but on maple fretboards, notice how parts of it darken when you play it alot. Look at Stevie Ray Vaughn's guitar for an example.

Also, if you're going to mess up a new guitar, remember that the value will drop like a stone. But if this guitar is your pride and joy, then don't worry about it. Don't know why you'd want to abuse it, but yeah.
If its a cheap strat copy, the finish will be like concrete so it wont have the same effect like if you did it on an expensive strat or les paul with a nirto-celulose finish.
Quote by gwitersnamps

if you're going to mess up a new guitar, remember that the value will drop like a stone..

or you could manage to con someone by saying you have on original 50s strat

(in the russian site I posted they started of with a regular Squier and when completed, they managed to trick a few competent players into thinking they were playing the real thing)
treat your guitar like **** and it will come in time

anybody who fuc|<s up a perfectly good guitar needs to get fuc|<ed up themselves, people in third world countries are making instruments out of a 2x4 and used tampon strings, meanwhile your sitting at home rubbing sandpaper on your guitar to make it look ****ty on purpose.

like someone up there ^ said, you kind of have to earn it. the longer you have it the more you will cherish ( hate that gay word) it,despite how ****ed up it is.
MY GEAR :
2000 Jackson SL-3 Soloist
Roland Cube 60
Boss Metal Zone
Dunlop 535q Wah
Shitty DS-1 (AKA Teh Pap3rWeIgHt)

Quote by Nole07
i have like 30 bucks to spend. and i wanna know from first hand experience does it make pp's huge? thanks
Last edited by Jackson > you at May 6, 2006,
I think you can get the guitars you speak of on ebay from the far east yeah?
Last edited by jonnyguitarman at May 6, 2006,
frusciante's guitars are like that, most of the time. I think he does chipssomeof the paint off and scratches it all up, cause they still sound perfect.
"All Randy ever wanted to do was play the guitar."

Quote by Xenn99
Or...were you playing Fallout Boy? Because then it's obvious what happened. Your Low E String committed suicide.

"I don't fucking eat donuts"
Hmm...ways to make a guitar seem as if it's been used for years...ok...here are a couple ideas that will work.

Use the guitar for years?

Buy a used guitar that was used for years.

Seriously. Don't trash a guitar to make it look like some famous person's. That's really idiotic.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Raising_Hell
frusciante's guitars are like that, most of the time. I think he does chipssomeof the paint off and scratches it all up, cause they still sound perfect.

he's got 1962 strats or thereabotus that have been gigged heavily, I think its natural
^But usually, you can't do that on guitars with poly-whatever finishes.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30