Page 1 of 2
a six string has six strings E-A-D-G-B-e
a seven string has seven strings B-E-A-D-G-B-e
it just has a lower string so you can hit some lower stuff without detuning
Quote by scorpion618^
a six string has six strings E-A-D-G-B-e
a seven string has seven strings B-E-A-D-G-B-e
it just has a lower string so you can hit some lower stuff without detuning

lol you are detuning just that its ment to do that, i have a baritone btw its a 6 string but a 28 scale neck and i tune it ADADGB down a half step so if you wanted a 6 string to detune they can go even lower than a 7 string
yeah, but a 7 string will have better tension with the strings. i.e. it wont be as floppy, thus generalyl more comfortable to play.
I'd say the seventh string would be the biggest difference!
GEAR:
Fender USA Lefty Telecaster
Custom HSS Lefty Strat
Samick Hollow-body
BOSS DS-1
BOSS SD-1
BOSS CE-4
BOSS DD-6
USA Big Muff PI
Peavey MACE 160w Head
Peavey MACE 410 Cabinet
Yamaha FG-450S-L
Eleca DAG3LN Lefty Acoustic
Quote by Mushok413
lol you are detuning just that its ment to do that, i have a baritone btw its a 6 string but a 28 scale neck and i tune it ADADGB down a half step so if you wanted a 6 string to detune they can go even lower than a 7 string

What the hell are you talking about?! I'm so confused by your post. Are you saying a Baritone can be tuned lower than a 7 string? Your post makes very little sense ot me...

and to be honest, I'm a little suprised by the lack of flaming in this thread, maybe UG has made some sort of step up.
I listen to music and I don't need your opinions about what I listen to.
Hey, speaking of extended-range guitars, did you know you can buy a 7 string baritone neck from Warmoth?, That is some seriously low tuning.
^ That is one ugly son of a gun.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
You also (can) use different shapes for scales & chords.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Basically seven strings are more badass and effective.

I hate drop tuning guitars. The strings get loose which I hate and it's flat out annoying.

With seven strings you can get the low sound and the high sounds.
seven strings are useless.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by sashki
More strings, anyone?

Conklin Sub-contrabass

i saw pics of people having that bass....they all look like fags and looks like they stay home all day and play their bass together and shoving it their anuses.....
Quote by sylent
i saw pics of people having that bass....they all look like fags and looks like they stay home all day and play their bass together and shoving it their anuses.....

OR, they love the instrument they play, and wanted to take it to the next level.

Dont be a prick.

EDIT: I just realised, the thing I just said could be interpreted two different ways. The way I intend, ''To the next level'' is, more strings...not the anus thing... .
Baritone guitars don't have looser strings, they have a longer scale neck. And yes, a baritone guitar is tuned lower than a seven string.

Most guitarist who use seven string guitars don't really make use of having the extra range (especially Korn and Slipknot). They're ideal for shred/80s types though. I prefer a detuned sixer.
well first of all korn uses ibanez k7's as in 7 sring guitars. secondly i have a seven string guitar and it's a pain in the ass. the humbuckers break all the time. it takes getting use to to. also i would definetly never buy a 7 string after owning this one
^^^ a crappy guitar is a crappy guitar

so you would never buy a six string again if you had a six string that kept breaking down?
Quote by Ihearthetfield
^^^ a crappy guitar is a crappy guitar

so you would never buy a six string again if you had a six string that kept breaking down?

nope, you wouldn't. you're a quitter.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
yes btw a 6 string baritone can go lower than a regular 7, and they get much more neck tension when down tuning do to the extended scale, and yes esp makes stephen carpenters signature 7 string baritone, its nasty! it has some active 81-7 emgs and a 27' scale neck!
hmm wow so u can play atleast the high a note if you play around 25-27 fret. Damn thats some high pitch.
Quote by Mushok413

You can tune whatever you want, wether it's on a 7 or 6 string guitar. It's not about either being able to go lower than the other one... The 7 string is just more versatile. The baritone you have is tuned in A, a 7 string tuned like that would be tuned in D plus a low-A string, a-la KoRn. A normal 7 string is BEADGBe, which is standard plus low-B, and there are 7 string baritones, for example the Stephen Carpenter sig, which go to some sub sonic tune that I can't recall. And there are 8 strings too, which would be... G#BEADGBe.
So, the more strings, the better.

EDIT:
Quote by smb
Baritone guitars don't have looser strings, they have a longer scale neck. And yes, a baritone guitar is tuned lower than a seven string.

Most guitarist who use seven string guitars don't really make use of having the extra range (especially Korn and Slipknot). They're ideal for shred/80s types though. I prefer a detuned sixer.

A normal baritone is BEADGb. And Slipknot never used 7 string guitars.

I don't know what is thought to be a baritone in here.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Last edited by jmag at May 7, 2006,
There is no standard baritone guitar tuning. Some manufacturers suggest B, some A. Look on different guitar manufacturer websites and you'll see I'm right.

I thought the Mick Thompson sig was seven strings - but looking at the Ibanez site it isn't. Must be the text on the neck confused me!
7 string guitars are used more by jazzers, who usually tune the bottom string to A.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by jmag

A normal baritone is BEADGb. And Slipknot never used 7 string guitars.

I don't know what is thought to be a baritone in here.

A normal Bariton is tuned to

BEADF#B

It's the same as standard tuning just down 2 and a half steps
I like the idea behind the 7-string guitar, but in practice I can't get used to it. The necks just too thick for me. I'd probably get a baritone if I wanted to play really low. Heck, just get a 6-string bass if you wanna be a real tough guy.

Here's a pretty sweet 7-string (though out of stock): http://www.rondomusic.net/septor.html
what happened to the proposed Kirk Hammett flamenco album?

His acoustic didn't sound good with wah pedal, I suppose.
Quote by Ihearthetfield

I hate drop tuning guitars. The strings get loose which I hate and it's flat out annoying.

That's why they make thick string gauges.
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
Quote by Stiffy Maximus
well first of all korn uses ibanez k7's as in 7 sring guitars. secondly i have a seven string guitar and it's a pain in the ass. the humbuckers break all the time. it takes getting use to to. also i would definetly never buy a 7 string after owning this one

Maybe it's just because you have an entry level guitar?

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Quote by smb
There is no standard baritone guitar tuning. Some manufacturers suggest B, some A. Look on different guitar manufacturer websites and you'll see I'm right.

I thought the Mick Thompson sig was seven strings - but looking at the Ibanez site it isn't. Must be the text on the neck confused me!

He tunes his guitar super low. Drop B?? Btw i hate when people say mick thompson plays seven and cant count strings on the guitar......!!!!

I bet his string gauge is like 18 :P

EDIT: oh and mick also said it to himself that 7 string guitars are GAY
Quote by sylent
EDIT: oh and mick also said it to himself that 7 string guitars are GAY

Yeah, I figured 7 string guitars had sex with other 7 string guitars of the same gender.

I tend to not listen to people who wear masks in public.

EDIT: He said it "to himself"? So he wears masks in public *and* talks to himself. Sweet.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at May 8, 2006,
Gay is having to sit through Slipknot so you can see System of a Down after being blown away by Black Sabbath the night before. With the exception of Joey Jordison's solo (which is worth seeing once) they are really bad live.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Yeah, I figured 7 string guitars had sex with other 7 string guitars of the same gender.

I tend to not listen to people who wear masks in public.

EDIT: He said it "to himself"? So he wears masks in public *and* talks to himself. Sweet.

lol those people these days. I wasnt really syaing that i agree with him that seven is gay. Now if seven is gay, why does steve vai pwn the 7 string guitar? :P Lol nu-metal is just dead now.....
Quote by sylent
lol those people these days. I wasnt really syaing that i agree with him that seven is gay. Now if seven is gay, why does steve vai pwn the 7 string guitar? :P Lol nu-metal is just dead now.....

I say only if you can make full use of a six string should you play a 7 string. I think Mick would prolly make the exception of guitarist who actually use all 7 strings on the guitar but most won't, most will simply use them for the low end
Page 1 of 2