so i have a ****ty-ass squier stratocaster that i love to hate. the action is wayyyy too high on it and i want to lower it. everything ive tried results in ridiculous fret buzz. any tips?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Sell the squire for firewood and get a better guitar?
Who's dumber?
The cat that plays with a piece of string for 30 minutes,
Or the guy who dangles the string for 30 minutes?
adjust the screws on your saddles(loosen them)

i did, and i even screwed the tremolo springs all the way into the body.

lousy piece of ****. Boy do i look forward to a mew guitar.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
If the body is made of alder you could just stick some new pickups in it and maybe get some new tuners and you would have a strat.
i remember getting one of those for free, what a piece of ****. i ended up smashing it cause it sucked that bad. easily the worst guitar ive ever owned, along side a bronze warlock.

my advise to you is get a new guitar. smash the squire so you parents have to buy you a new guitar, plus its fun and looks cool if you get it on tape.
^^^destroying any guitar regardless of the brand isnt right. Squiers may not be the greatest guitars in the world but starting out you dont need anything better. Buying an expensive guitar and letting it collect dust is by far the dumbest thing you could ever do.
And he also might just be bad at setting it up. There's a lot more to properly set action than just the saddle height And when you say "high" do you have a measurement?
Hi, I'm Peter
i've got a squire strat that i don't play anymore since i moved up a bit to another electric, but i took it in to get some other stuff done and also had the guy lower the action, he actually got it pretty low, other than the saddles i dunno how to do it but even squires are capable of having low action.
maybe you need truss rod adjustment to get your neck straight before trying to optimise the string height.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
or you could just take it to a shop, and tell them what you need. Pros are probably better than you at setting up your guitar, especially if you're new to it.
^yeah cause u want to spend $40 on a guitar u hate.

u need to measure the neck angle and adjust the truss rod. (like a couple of guys said between the needless spam.)

if u want direction, then repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
LAf, i hate putting the time into a thread when the TS isnt into it, but in case anyone else hasnt seen this or is wondering.

if uve already adjusted ur action at the bridge, and leveled a trem bridge, and still cant get ur action low enough, without buzz, ur neck might be off.

to check all u have to do is...
fret the low E at the first fret. at the same time,
fret the low E at the 17th fret, about where ur neck meets ur body.

while those two places are held, look at the middle frets, 7-8th.

if the string lays on the fretwire there, then u dont have enough gap.
if the string is more than a credit card thickness up from the wire there, u have too much gap (neck bend)

if ur string height seems high, then theres a chance that u have too much bend. and straightening it out will make the board seem closer.
u could straighten the neck out a bit then readjust the action.

but with a low end guitar, there's a chance u have one or two high frets. and those frets are throwing off ur whole board. in that case ull experience buzzing on some strings and not others.

so u measure the neck and see where that is.

and u repost for further instructions.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

^Sweet! My friend's mom is a Customer Service trainer and she wrote process flows for trouble-shooting in PowerPoint! There's this cool app in MS Office called Visio and I showed her it.

*volunteers Jenny to write a trouble-shooting guide with pics using Visio*
I must have gotten a better end squier, my bullet stays in tune for a little bit, the action is ok, and the pickups weren't in upside down. but if yours is as bad as my friends, then just wait for a new one. Nothing beats that new guitar feel, I <3 my schecter.

P.S. jenny, do you work on guitars profesasionally? because if not, you could probably look into it. lawlz.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Last edited by MuffinMan at May 7, 2006,
LAf, yeah, im actually in the process of changing my profession. ^
thought about getting a job in a small shop but,

the large chains and online stores tend to squeeze out the small shop owners around here.
im sure i can supplement my income nicely working out of my basement tho.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I think you got jipped with your Squier, mine is amazing... what Squier do you have, Fat Strat or Regular?
Quote by MuffinMan

P.S. jenny, do you work on guitars profesasionally? because if not, you could probably look into it. lawlz.

Not saying that Jenny is an idiot or anything, but it's very normal that guitarists have basic set-up skills (such as trussrod and action adjustments).
^ you'd think so, but from what I've seen not really. My friends dad has been playing 30 years and I wouldn't expect him to ever work on his own equipment, and I need to replace a tone pot and im probably going to end up dropping $15 for them to do it for me because I wouldn't touch my own stuff.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by MuffinMan
^ you'd think so, but from what I've seen not really. My friends dad has been playing 30 years and I wouldn't expect him to ever work on his own equipment, and I need to replace a tone pot and im probably going to end up dropping $15 for them to do it for me because I wouldn't touch my own stuff.

If you don't have a soldering iron, I can understand; but if you do: wtf?
Quote by mr_hankey

You'll be amazed how some just have this mental block about soldering and working with the guitar electronics. My friend's dad is the same way and he's just happy I could solder so I get to keep some of his boutique PUs which I replaced. Be thankful.
Quote by Johnnyboy66
Drop it, it can only go up from squier.

the Squier basic Strat is ****.
Ill give you that.
But Squier is a fantastic brand that too many people overlook because of that one guitar.

I've owned MANY guitars (jackson dinky, Gibson SG standard, RR5) and the only one I constantly go back to is my squier.
for $700 it is the best guitar I have ever bought. perfect sized frets, HUGE tone even with stock humbuckers, fast neck, highly accessible high frets.
Im not here to just be a Squier fanboi, but dont generalize all squiers as **** just because they make a couple horrible beginner guitars

Sunburst ESP Viper-400 with EMG combo
Ibanez Talman Elec-Acoustic
1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
Quote by mr_hankey
Not saying that Jenny is an idiot or anything, but it's very normal that guitarists have basic set-up skills (such as trussrod and action adjustments).

HEY DID YOU JUST CALL ME AN IDIOT????
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by JanickClone

for $700 it is the best guitar I have ever bought. perfect sized frets, HUGE tone even with stock humbuckers, fast neck, highly accessible high frets.

Just wondering; where does one buy 700$ squiers?
Quote by mr_hankey

yeah we probably have one, and you would be suprised at how often i screw up thigs that should be easy or burn myself or others. I'd just assume leave it to somebody who else, who knows what they're doing. Now if i was to replace something on my squier, I'd do that myself homez.
get a new guitar
Gear:
-Brownsville BMAG3 (acoustic)
-Fender 70s Reissue 60th anniversary Stratocaster
-Line 6 Flextone III
-Crate RFX30 RetroFex
-Line 6 Tone Port UX1
-Roland Digital Piano HP-4500
-(other stuff)
Quote by mr_hankey
Just wondering; where does one buy 700$ squiers?

anywhere that sells em?
I bought mine at axe.. the biggest name guitar store in calgary.
Its the master series esprit.

Sunburst ESP Viper-400 with EMG combo
Ibanez Talman Elec-Acoustic
1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
Quote by lp_dude_2

my advise to you is get a new guitar. smash the squire so you parents have to buy you a new guitar, plus its fun and looks cool if you get it on tape.

It really DOESNT look cool, it makes you look a total prick.
Quote by Ryzar
If the body is made of alder you could just stick some new pickups in it and maybe get some new tuners and you would have a strat.
No, cause its probably crappy alder. Thats why I ignore cheap guitars (like Agile) even if it says something like "Mohagony Body", cause it could be cheap mohagany, softwood or from an unhealthy tree.
Quote by Epiphany
^^^destroying any guitar regardless of the brand isnt right. Squiers may not be the greatest guitars in the world but starting out you dont need anything better. Buying an expensive guitar and letting it collect dust is by far the dumbest thing you could ever do.

i never said anything about buying an expensive guitar if your just starting out. but if you start out on a guitar you hate playing, itll make you not want to play and you wont get anywhere. he should get a better guitar, but im not talking like a PRS or something. maybe like a Schecter Omen 6 or an Ibanez RG321. something like that.

Quote by tomslespaul
It really DOESNT look cool, it makes you look a total prick.

oh like youve never had the urge to smash a guitar. same to you Epiphany.
Quote by JanickClone
the Squier basic Strat is ****.
Ill give you that.
But Squier is a fantastic brand that too many people overlook because of that one guitar.

I've owned MANY guitars (jackson dinky, Gibson SG standard, RR5) and the only one I constantly go back to is my squier.
Im not here to just be a Squier fanboi, but dont generalize all squiers as **** just because they make a couple horrible beginner guitars

If you keep going back to your squier, thats your problem, not mine.
Quote by lp_dude_2
smash the squire so you parents have to buy you a new guitar, plus its fun and looks cool if you get it on tape.

Don't smash it, give it to some beginner that can use it..
or sell it. There are so many people who can't afford their
own guitar that would love to have one.. even if its a piece
of crap, it's still better than nothing.
My totallyawesomeness gear:

-Ibanez GRX40 *die*
-Peavey Valveking 112 50w Combo *yay*
^ for true