I know there been alot of best guitarist threads out there... but who was the best musician in classic rock... ???

Personally im thinking Jimmy Page... he not only wrote practically wrote all of Zeppelin songs with Plant, but also had a really diverse sense of style, and was always innovating himself in different ways
Rex Carroll from Whitecross is best in my books, You should check out some of his guitar solos. He's also a great song/music writer
I think The Beatles were the best "musicians." That is if you define "musicians" as "song writers." I can't argue against Jimmy Page, though. It's just The Beatles cranked out HUNDREDS of songs and so many of them were Number Ones or Top Forties or Top Tens. And they did it all at the beginning of Rock history.
Quote by zeppelin68
I know there been alot of best guitarist threads out there... but who was the best musician in classic rock... ???

Personally im thinking Jimmy Page... he not only wrote practically wrote all of Zeppelin songs with Plant, but also had a really diverse sense of style, and was always innovating himself in different ways

Don't get me wrong, Jimmy Page is my ****ing HERO. But I think that once you get to a certain level in music you're just good and can't be compared to other musicians, unless make more specific criteria other than just "best musician". I suppose there are always those musicians that "stand out".

However, If I had to pick my top classic rock musicians it would be:

1. John Lennon and Paul McCartney
2. Jimmy Page
3. Jimi Hendrix
4. Eric Clapton
5. David Gilmour
6. Jim Morrison

Musical skill, innovation, songwriting and improvisational abilities were considered and weighted when creating the above list. Also I'm sure the list might have a few flaws to it... I might go back and edit it after giving it more thought.
Last edited by Four Symbols at May 7, 2006,
For best musicians i would say any one from Rush. Not only are they at an amazingly high level at their instruments, they also write some of the most diverse and complex songs to ever come from the pen of a classic rocker. Dont get me wrong, but compared to nearly all other classic rockers Rush crush them in terms of technical ability and musicianship.
Hmmmmmm
Why is there this fixation with labling a "best"? Let me explain to you who is the "best", alright?

No one. There is no such thing. Never was, never will be. Ok? This is a question that can not and can never be answered. Ever. Is it that difficult to understand?

And yes, I said this at the risk of sounding narrow-minded. But I don't care. This is something that you people have to understand and accept.

Those of you who already acknowledge this can just go right on and ignore this though. This is soley targeted at the ones with this unhealthy fixation on labling.
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Brian May Gutarist, Singer, Piano player
QUEEN+PAUL RODGERS 3/10/06
roger waters 9/8/06
the who 9/16/06
eric clapton 10/03/06
the who 12/2/06
Mika 6/13/07
Rush 6/27/07
Roger waters 7/10/07
Elton John 3/??/08
The Who 10/24/08
Iron Maiden 04/02/09
Iron Maiden 07/12/10
All the guys from Queen, they can change key signature, time signature many times in one song and their operatic bits are incredible that most band cant do.
^ agreed every one multi tasks
John deacon- Bass, Piano
Roger Taylor- Drums, rythym guitar, singer
Freddie- Singer, Piano, Acoustic guitar, etc..
they all do there part to make amazing songs that other bands probably couldnt do
QUEEN+PAUL RODGERS 3/10/06
roger waters 9/8/06
the who 9/16/06
eric clapton 10/03/06
the who 12/2/06
Mika 6/13/07
Rush 6/27/07
Roger waters 7/10/07
Elton John 3/??/08
The Who 10/24/08
Iron Maiden 04/02/09
Iron Maiden 07/12/10
I'm resisting having a tantrum at the 70% of posts in this thread which contain Page in them. Anyone who knows anything about music is smart enough to look past such stupidity anyway.

Musical genius for me? There are actually very few classic rock ones, mostly because my musical heroes are Jerry Reed, Bert Jansch and Davy Graham. But anyway, probably Garth Hudson from The Band, Peter Green and Rory Gallagher as guitarists and Paul McCartney, just because hes an absolute legend.
Great to see another thread made by some kid looking for a new way to kiss Jimmy Page's ass.

Hardly anyone in classic rock was a good musician. In terms of arrangement, style, dynamic and composition (to name a few) most were really generic, and few really even attempted to get their hands dirty.

That said, Rush (more specifically, Peart) are likely the best Classic Rock musicians. But best musicians in general are found elsewhere. Mainly in classical where composition is everything and you CANNOT half ass it.

Yep, Classical is the shit.
Quote by Wikipedia
Niccolò (or Nicolò Paganini, (October 27, 1782 ? May 27, 1840) was an Italian violinist, violist, guitarist and composer. He is one of the most famous violin virtuosi, and is considered one of the greatest violinists who ever lived, with perfect intonation and innovative techniques. He is also widely regarded as the first ever virtuoso violinist.

I like what I've read, I'll admit to that.
For some reason, whenever it comes to "best musician", "best guitar player", "best ...", I almost always find that those people all belong to the same band...

The Allman Brothers Band.

I think that Gregg Allman and Dickey Betts, the two main writers of the band, wrote some of the greatest music ever. That's not to say they did all the work, obviously some of the stuff was come up with by the other guys, but these were the men that laid down the foundation for the great music these guys produced.