Hey guys, I'm looking into getting an SG soon, but I need help. Which SG is better, the Gibson Faded SG or the Epiphone Elitist SG? I'm thinking that the Elitist would be, but I need a second opinion.
My rig:

2005 Blue Flame Agile AL-2500
2005 Sage Green MIM Fender Strat
VOX AD30VT
No, I'm a little reluctant to do eBay and I've never seen an SG of any kind in my local pawn shops. Also, I don't want to be going high up on price, so I'm not going for one that's higher than a grand.
My rig:

2005 Blue Flame Agile AL-2500
2005 Sage Green MIM Fender Strat
VOX AD30VT
Last edited by madmax51 at May 7, 2006,
Okay, check your local newspaper section classifieds (got a sweet deal on a Peavy amp from there) or else just go to your local gibson dealer see snd what **** they got
The Faded SG's are really nice. Personally I prefer the faded finish and the simplicity. The only thing I don't like are the open coil humbuckers -- they look really really bad on this particular model. They look like they could fall out of the guitar at any moment.

I recommend the Faded SG, but it's a personal preference. The Elitists have headstocks that kind of look out of place.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Quote by FlyOn88
Have you looked at getting a used standard gibson SG?

yerp.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
No, the Faded is not crap. In terms of build, feel and playability it's every bit as good as the Standard SG.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

^No it's not, it's a Special series, which is lower quality.

It's the Studios, Standards and Classics that are all the same, quality-wise.
The Epi is better than the Gibson. It looks **** and it's a special so nowhere near the quality of a standard.
I got a mint condition SG standard for $800 when I went to the US.....have a look round, relentlessly phone all guitar shops in a 2 hour drive radius.
Other than the finish, the main difference between the SG Standard and Special/Special Faded is the the bridge PU, the Standard has a slightly hotter 498T PU. If you prefer the traditional/true Gibson headstock over the slightly goofy Epi, go with the lower end Special.

It'll probably be a while before you fully exploit the regular PUs on the Special, but if you do and you want something hotter, you can catch some pretty good deals on the hotter 498T PU on eBay, new .... or you can go with the traditional classic sound of the '61 RI by getting the '57 Classic buckers or Burstbucker Pros. I've seen those as low as $40 at end of auction.

BTW, if you're getting yours from GC, prices are negotiable.
whatever you do please dont buy the faded special sg. most people on this board can tell you that guitar isnt very good. when i played it the guitar was so rough. it played like crap and the pickups looked like they were about to fall out. also its a very cheaply made guitar. get the elitist
xxx

my rig:
-gibson les paul studio (sh4-bridge)
-peavey valve king 212
-electro-harmonix english muff'n
-roland micro cube
-digitech digidelay
-digitech grunge
-rocktron hush pedal
-fender pedal tuner
Quote by FlyOn88
Have you looked at getting a used standard gibson SG?

What he said, or the Elitist.
"It's easier to believe than it is to think. Hence we have far more believers than thinkers."-?
"Ive been busted, discusted and couldn't be trusted"-Woody Guthrie
Gibson S1 Marauder
Epi LP Classic Quilt Top
Epi LP Standard Plus Flame Top
Quote by madmax51
No, I'm a little reluctant to do eBay and I've never seen an SG of any kind in my local pawn shops. Also, I don't want to be going high up on price, so I'm not going for one that's higher than a grand.

If you're buying at GC or another big store you can probably negotiate a standard down close to $1000 if they have a few in stock. Just don't budge on your offer and they'll eventually get the manager to come over and s/he can usually work something out.
dude, ive got the SG special faded, the D tuner broke twice while i was playing, no reason as to why it broke, and the headstock snapped when the case fell, im pissed.

i also have a SG Standard, its a pretty amazing guitar, especially with burstbuckers, i suggest checking out used sg's, like at daddys, or guitar center or something