Ok Guys, well heres the deal.

I have been playing 6 string guitar and piano for a while, and I would be interested in buying a bass guitar, and sort of teaching myself/learning from here etc.

I dont have alot of money, so I would be wanting something cheap.

Does anyone have anyrecomendations of a good cheap bass? Should I get 4 of 5 strings? Are there any things I should know about? If so, please say

Thanks guys
If i were you i would get a 5 string bass, I reackon you would regret not getting it, and also to save for an average bass, its worth the wait
RED BLOOD HOT SUGAR CHILI SEX PEPPERS MAGIK
i love it this questions asked every day lol um maybe a peavey 4 string milleinuem bxp? or the regular mill, the 5 string version or 4 string but obvoisuly start with the 4 as for amps maybe the fender rumble 25, 15 i dont know what your budget it is bro
I dont have a very big budget. Probably under $200 Australian. I'm not sure how that compares to other currencies.
^ I was just about to mention SX. good stuff, good stuff. and do get a 4 string, it's an easier transition for a guitar player. the neck is relatively similar in width, and besides, that low end string isn't necessary to playing well, no matter what anyone says. ask geddy lee!
for some reason i hav my doubts that sx basses are as good as ppl make em. i can hardly see how a $100 bass compares to a $400 bass, regardless of place of manufacturing, but if ordering online is okay and thats where ur budgets at, by all means, its a great bass for ur situation then.

honestly any of these following basses will work fine, just try each out to see which sound u prefer more: squier pbass starter kit, ibanez jump start (gsr190), squier standard series, squier p-special, ibanez gsr200, peavey millenium bxp, peavey milestone, musicman olp.
all of those cost around $200-$300. seeing as you already play 6 string guitar you should have an udnerstanding of pickups, which is the major difference between all those, and what you'd be paying attention to when trying them out. the first 2 are packages so that'd be a good start.

be aware of the bias in this forum, one person has a bad experience, tells another person, that person takes their word for it and so on.
get a silvertone
My Equipment:

BC Rich Mocking Bird
Peavy EXP Raptor
Hohner Acoustic
peavy Amp
Marshell Amp
Digitech Effect Pedal
Bad Dog Distortion Pedal
there better then nothing and there cheap
My Equipment:

BC Rich Mocking Bird
Peavy EXP Raptor
Hohner Acoustic
peavy Amp
Marshell Amp
Digitech Effect Pedal
Bad Dog Distortion Pedal
Quote by Jiimy
Go to www.rondomusic.net and check out the SX basses. Honestly they play as well if not better sometimes than Mexican Fender products, and are better than anything in that price range.

Unfortunatly they don't ship to Australia. (I'm assuming he's Australian cause he has a budget of $200AUS.)

For $200 Australian you'll be hard pressed to find a decent bass, best bet is to look for 2nd hand.

Are you looking to get an amp as well in that price range?
Last edited by ShaggyDan at May 8, 2006,
Quote by ShaggyDan
Unfortunatly they don't ship to Australia. (I'm assuming he's Australian cause he has a budget of $200AUS.)

For $200 Australian you'll be hard pressed to find a decent bass, best bet is to look for 2nd hand.

Are you looking to get an amp as well in that price range?

I wasnt planning on getting an amp. Can't I just use my normal guitar amp?
Quote by ShaggyDan
Bass through a guitar amp may damage the speaker. Guitar through a bass amp is fine though.

Thats lame. Oh well, I can probably get a second hand bass. Is there a standard tuning for bass?

And just out of curiosity, why does bass on a guitar amp break the speaker?
Guitar amps are not built to handle the lower frequencies of a bass.

There's some cheap bass guitar packs on ebay, eg.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-ELECTRIC-BASS-GUITAR-40-WATTAMP-BAG-PACKAGE-BLACK_W0QQitemZ7412725820QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Comes with stand, gig bag, amp, lead and bass for about $200. Don't expect great quality though.
Quote by ShaggyDan
Guitar amps are not built to handle the lower frequencies of a bass.

There's some cheap bass guitar packs on ebay, eg.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-ELECTRIC-BASS-GUITAR-40-WATTAMP-BAG-PACKAGE-BLACK_W0QQitemZ7412725820QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Comes with stand, gig bag, amp, lead and bass for about $200. Don't expect great quality though.

Yeah thanks, but I dont get stuff off Ebay. I will when I can get a credit card though. I might look in Cash converters (I assume you know what that is).