When I improvise, I tend to just play trough scales. Is there any other way to play, without making the guitar sound so monotone?

Thanks

- @zzasin
Last edited by @zzasin at May 7, 2006,
try like a call and response method

play one say 4 bar phrase then hold out your last note then play something after that thats kinda responds. this method has been used all throught the history of music so its a good one!

also dont just play boxes..know the key signature of the scale and play notes according the the key sig

arpeggios as well!
Originally posted by skeptopotamus
Well, me and my lab of expert scienticians have created an ingenius device that will capture one's flatulence and transport it to a nearby foe's rectum, thus attributing any foul odors towards your enemies, mblavin.
could you give us a basic rundown of that Melodic Phrasing vid Stratwizard?
Quote by rayIII
could you give us a basic rundown of that Melodic Phrasing vid Stratwizard?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/phrasing_for_dummies.html
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Lol, nah, it's okay... It's just the column forum

FP basically took the concept of Melodic Phrasing and turned it into a text lesson.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
I used to think that each major scale mode should be used for different keys, and so I tended to get stuck in one mode and one pattern. Recently I realized that, liek the minor pentatonic boxes, the mode boxes are all connected all over the fretboard. Learn how to connect them and soon you'll be shredding up and down the entire fretboard unconciously.
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

Quote by bangoodcharlote
Learn your favorite solos and steal...er...borrow some licks.

I highly recommend AGAINST doing that. You'll never be able to develop your own style if all you do is steal licks from your favorite players. Pick a couple scales and come up with some decent licks. Then as you're improvisng just throw in the licks you've created every now and then.
Quote by Archaon
I highly recommend AGAINST doing that. You'll never be able to develop your own style if all you do is steal licks from your favorite players. Pick a couple scales and come up with some decent licks. Then as you're improvisng just throw in the licks you've created every now and then.

Your own style is a combination of your influences.

Conclusion: you will easily be able to develop your own style, as long as you're not a robot and it's all you do.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance

Conclusion: you will easily be able to develop your own style, as long as you're not a robot and it's all you do.
^^agreed^^

you can borrow a few licks (most people you borrow em from aren't original anyways) you just can't stand their and play lick after lick (lol it's easier to notice when you fvck up )
Quote by Resiliance

There's a difference in allowing your influences to shine through your style, but DIRECTLY (I think this is where we miscommunicated) stealing other licks and just piecing together a frankenstein isn't too great. Am I right?
^Probably, but that's obviously not what was ment earlier in the thread, I'm puzzled as to where you got that meaning out of it.

I still wouldn't necessarily agree though. You'd still play it with different dynamics, small things like vibrato, etc... Unless you mean really really really copying everything... Which is just plain unrealistic

Click.