Ive been playing guitar for 6 and a half years now and there's always been a problem that bugs me and im wondering if i can get some advice. Maybe this sounds stupid but sometimes when i play for long periods of time, my thumb is rather uncomfortable and hurts. I think its because of the position i put it on when im playing, its kind of pressed against the neck. I was wondering if there is a kind of position you but the thumb in when you play (being self-taught i wouldnt know).

Thanks in advance,
Trepkos.
PLAY.LIVE.MUSIC
i wrap my thumb around the neck its just more comfortable for me
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
My teacher was initially taught classically so my thumb resides square on the crown of the back (the highest point right in the middle). I used to play John Mayer style with my thumb hanging over but I think if you try both ways the classical means allows for greater speed and control and more fluidity in your motion. Ultimately it is a matter of preference.
Generally speaking, the thumb should go behind the neck unless you're using it to fret notes or are bending strings.
The thumb is ideally behind the neck for everything but bending so you can get more power into your fingers, some pentatonic stuff where you're using only your first 3 fingers and playing regular open chords.

You practically can't do barre and power chords without the thumb behind the neck. And having it behind there allows you to use your pinky much easier which is great for soloing (you've got that finger so you might as well use it)

you'll probably find yourself switching between the 2 postions without even noticing
Open chords: thumb over top
Everything else: Thumb on back of neck
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by frenchyfungus

i do just that
Quote by frenchyfungus

Open chords, barre chords, vibrato(sometimes) and bending should be there.
Need.New.Sig.