If I am just playing in my room, is there any reason to have a big valve or tube amp, or will something like a vox 30w valvetronics be enough to get some decent sounds for practising? I have played through a couple of orange stacks, and the sound is awesome but that is in a soundproof room, so it probably wouldn't be very practical. Also, if an amp head has a speaker in it, can you just play that for low volumes without the corresponding cabinet?
you absolutely DONT need matching heads/cabs. most people dont match them on purpose to customize their sound even more.

a 30w walvetronix at max is more than sufficient for bedroom practice. at max people WILL tell you to turn it down.

i think it you can get some pretty good sounds out of a valvetronix. they wont be as authentic or have as much character as the real things they model but the sound is anything but bad imo.

if you have a bigger budget you could get a secondhand tube or even a firsthand one depending, but i think you probably dont have to look far past a valvetronix for what youre looking for.
^Agreed. 30watts will be fine, there's no need for a really nice amp until you want to start gigging really, evben then your Vox might still manage.
So the sound quality of the valvetronix is OK? I haven't really had much of a chance to play it, but the orange stack I played was just really amazing, with just a gibson SG plugged straight into it
i have the 30W Vox and I love it. Pretty good dirty sounds, and amazing cleans. It is plenty loud for me, but I only play at home.....you can leave the master volume at full blast and just adjust the wattage on the back of it to control the volume, that way the tube is always being pushed. I never go past 3/4 the wattage on the clean channel or 1/2 the wattage on the distorted settings.
Keep in mind an Orange stack is worth probably worth close to 2,000.00. And has really high end Celestion speakers in the cab, as well as high quality parts in the head itself. You can't really go comparing the sound of your 30Watt Combo to an Orange Stack, strictly because they are on two completely different levels. Like the feel of driving a Honda Civic is going to feel completely different then the feel of driving 911 Turbo, because both cars are in completely different categories that you really can't compare them.

I think you'll be fine with the 30Watt as long as it's got a comfortable sound for you. If you get bored add some pedals, experiement with settings. And eventually go for an amp that may be better for what you want.

Thats my 2 cents.
Yeah, I know the orange stack is going to be a lot more expensive, I'm just wondering how well the vox simulates those kinds of sounds, obviously it is cheaper and easier to make a sound processer than to make a full tube amp stack, so the digital simulator is going to be a lot cheaper than the real thing, I'm just wondering how close the valvetronix comes to those sounds, if it is comes remotely close, for 1/10th of the price of a full stack, I would be happy to get the valvetronix
Quote by rubberbullets
So the sound quality of the valvetronix is OK? I haven't really had much of a chance to play it, but the orange stack I played was just really amazing, with just a gibson SG plugged straight into it

They're very straight-to-the point rock'n'roll amps, I love them.

The Vox's are very good at what they do, but personally, I'd save up more and buy a valve amp.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30