Hey all,

Is there a way to guarentee that a Made in Japan Fender strat is actually an authentic strat and not one thats chopped and only with the Japan neck?

Reason being, i saw a used MIJ fender strat (88/89) selling for $350 Canadian, and they usually go for a lot more than that. Wuddya guys think?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by fsb_ben at May 7, 2006,
Quote by fsb_ben
Hey all,

Is there a way to guarentee that a Made in Japan Fender strat is actually an authentic strat and not one thats chopped and only with the Japan neck?

Reason being, i saw a used MIJ fender strat (88/89) selling for $350 Canadian, and they usually go for a lot more than that. Wuddya guys think?

Thanks in advance

There are small details which will tell you if it's real; do you have any pictures?
is it worth it tho? Here's the ad:

FENDER STRATOCASTER 1988/89 model, Serial Number H014807, made in Japan, with high quality hardware: Seymour Duncan in bridge position, German Schaller double locking tremolo,Gotoh locking tuners,very good condition,sounds fantastic,will include hard case.

350 Canadian

Last edited by fsb_ben at May 7, 2006,
It looks authentic. Make sure to check the truss rod before you buy.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Its Got A Floyd, Buy It:d
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
I'd get it. ****, even if the truss rod was broken, you could still part that out on ebay for more than $350.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Get it. Get it now. For $350 Cdn, that's practically giving that guitar away. I see these things used in shops around here regularly selling in the $500-$750 range, depending on how well they're equipped. That's a really well equipped guitar, and that bridge (identical to a real Floyd Rose in every way - real Floyds are actually made by Schaller under license) is after-market and top-notch. That JB Jr in the bridge is also after-market.

Seriously. If you don't like it, you can easily make your money back selling it.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Dude, GET IT NOW. It's got a Schaller trem and Seymour pickups. You can EASILY get $350 for the parts alone if you don't like it.
Definitely get it. They go for 400 ? here at least, even when you buy second hand!
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.
i'll go and slit my wrists for you so you dont have to.

Alright i think im gonna go for it.

Anything i should specifically be looking for while im testing the guitar out? Someone mentioned a truss rod up above, what exactly should I be looking for? I'll check to see fi the neck is straight but thats bout all i know :P

HELP GUYS!! much appreciated!
I'm not entirely sure, but I think the only way to check the truss rod is to actually use an allen key. What I usually do is try adjusting in both directions... it should loosen gradually and tighten gradually depending on which direction you turn the nut. Before you do anything, make sure to loosen the strings so there is no tension on the neck. Then slowly loosen the truss rod in small gentle adjustments of about 1/8 of a turn. Then tighten the same way in the opposite direction. If there is no resistance when you try to tighten it, then the truss rod is broken.

But like said, even if the truss rod is broken, it's still a great deal. You can always get a brand new replacement neck for about $100US.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Last edited by Armored Artist at May 8, 2006,