Page 1 of 2
So i takle bass lessons and my teacher said he has come to a complete stand still because he doesnt know where he wants to go with me. he asked me to pick out some songs that i wanted to learn. i was wondering what are some good punk/ska bass lines that would be helpful for me to learn. i was thinking about rock the casbah but im not sure yet. not just something stupid and simple with like 4 notes but something good and difficult to play.
the clash
Quote by GuitarHobbiest
What exactly is a powerchord?

Quote by laid_to_waste
My trouser snake is friendly. If you pet him, he might even do a trick! think I'm going to hell for that one.
learn anesthesia(pulling teeth) the metallica bass solo

also go download videos or somehow see videos of Victor Wooten of Bela Fleck and The Flecktones, He is the best bassist alive, also listen to some Jaco Pastorius, It's all not really ska but its crazy bass playing
The Clash (as previously mentioned) have some good ones ie: wrong em boyo
Dead Kennedys - Let's Lynch the Landlord, California Uber Alles, Forest Fire, Viva Las Vegas etc.
Black Flag - TV Party, Six Pack (actually I think Six Pack is really simple) but Chuck could lay it down.
The Specials- Gangsters, and many others
Operation Ivy - Take Warning

plenty of choices there.
Red Hot Moon-Rancid, Journet to the End of East Bay-Rancid, and any Reel Big Fish or Op Ivy song too.
gang control by leftover crack is probably a fun song to learn, probably wont be a problem for you to learn to play. the tabs arent 100% correct for it though... pretty close you can get the gist of it.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
Dead Kennedys - Let's Lynch the Landlord, California Uber Alles, Forest Fire, Viva Las Vegas etc.
Black Flag - TV Party, Six Pack (actually I think Six Pack is really simple) but Chuck could lay it down.

plenty of choices there.

i second these choices.
My two have already been said, but I'll say them again.

All songs by Operation Ivy and the Minutemen.

Also, Little Big Man by JFA has a really cool fast part with lots of notes.
everyone has spammed the hell out of operation ivy and the minutemen already, so I wont mention them, except for spillage, god, watt rocks on that song.

the clash has a plethorah of great bass lines, as you should know; as do the dead kennedys

Id try its up to you by the specials, and concrete jungle.
WHY DON'T YOU CONSULT EROWID FIRST?
Quote by doggy_hat
It's sad how the love drug is corrupted with so much bullshit
i play bass and like to play
the clash
operation ivy- anything matt freeman is a ****in god
rancid- see above, listen to axiom maxwell murder blows compared to it
minutemen- spillage has a fun line
less than jake has some good old stuff
the suicide machines- all of destruction by definition
anti-flag- die for your government
against all authority
dance hall crashers
the distillers
rise against
Kick Ass Ska from the New Orleans Area

Quote by jetfuel495
Quote by DamageMachine
Could be Super AIDS

omfg like in resident evil 4? with the tentacles coming out of his head?

LAS PLAGAS!

Quote by LadyHellraiser
I like boobs
Damn, i sound like a rugmuncher today, haha.
Not a fan of Rancid but Matt has talent.

Try playing Axiom and Maxwell Murder by Rancid and you'll blow your teachers head off.

Probably not a bass line but it has to be one of the fastest bass solos I have ever heard.
Last edited by MadMetalManiac at May 7, 2006,
On Maxwell Murder, the solo isn't too hard its just played really fast. Even harder if you use fingers, like me.

Also, I want your girlfriend to be my girlfriend by Reel Big Fish is easy and fun to play.
Bone Idol by The Drones. Or Neat Neat Neat by the Damned has a cool little bass line.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords

plenty of choices there.

What you said.
date rape by sublime
"Where the Beatles wanted to hold your hand, the Stones wanted to fuck your sister or daughter"

My profile
I like playing Jimmy Jazz and Police & Thieves by The Clash. Pressure Drop is also ok. They're all quite easy though.
Quote by JesusOfSbrbia
\"Maxwell Murder\" by Rancid is, imo, the best punk bass song in history. Matt Freeman is my hero... Learn that one and I\'ll worship you as well.

Meh... it\'s easy. It\'s easier than the rest of the damn song

I learnt it note for note the first day I picked up a bass, and at the time I couldn\'t solo decently (on guitar) for fuck.

You might blow your teacher\'s head off if he\'s some kind of musical retard.

Having said that, playing the solo is probably a good way to get chicks, so I\'ll give Freeman the benefit of the doubt.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Meh... it\'s easy. It\'s easier than the rest of the damn song

I learnt it note for note the first day I picked up a bass, and at the time I couldn\'t solo decently (on guitar) for fuck.

You might blow your teacher\'s head off if he\'s some kind of musical retard.

Having said that, playing the solo is probably a good way to get chicks, so I\'ll give Freeman the benefit of the doubt.

the solo is rather easy, but i learned the rest of the song first.

axiom on the other hand is some crazy ass ****.
Kick Ass Ska from the New Orleans Area

Quote by jetfuel495
Quote by DamageMachine
Could be Super AIDS

omfg like in resident evil 4? with the tentacles coming out of his head?

LAS PLAGAS!

Quote by LadyHellraiser
I like boobs
Damn, i sound like a rugmuncher today, haha.
Not punk, but check out American Life and Jerry was a Race Car Driver by Primus; that's some seriously ****ing hardcore bassplaying.
Black Flag - Six pack, T.V Party
Stiff Little Fingers - Gotta Get Away

ONly ones i can think of atm
How strange is it to be anything at all
I know the Rollins Band doesn't realy count, but you should hear Liar, and let that devil out.

Good Basslines in both of those, especially Let that devil out.
Page 1 of 2