Our band is about 3 months old and we've done a school performance which went better than we expected, after 1 month as a group.

We're getting paid for a Bar Mitzbah (our first with $$$ involved) in a little over a month and we're a bit concerned about his amp, a Behringer Ultrabass BX1200. He's the most solid player in our noob group and keeps every player in time, etc. He manages to get our noob drummer to sound better, gets him to play in synch, if that makes sense.

The problem is that his amp is "lacking" compared to our tube amps. I have the same bass amp when I first imagined I could be another John Entwistle ... kinda gave up on that. Our bassist has the chops so my motivation to play more bass just dwindled.

Question: Is it possible to jury-rig the 2 bass amps together to get it to match the sound level of the 2 other tube amps? Or are we stuck to lower volumes on the guitars so he can shine through? Thanks.
Just stop sucking so bad so you won't have to make him the centerpiece of the band.
I'm back, now with special sauce.
Quote by Unforgiven Otlw
Last thing the world ever needed is some retards with speech impediments telling kids how cool it is to be in gangs, talk a lot of ****, carry guns, and treat women like nothing more than sluts.
I don't see any reason why you could not run through both amps simultaneously, with a "Y" splitter or some such.

While it will not bump the wattage up on either amp ( or total wattage whatsoever), if you place each amp on either side of your stage, it might achieve the desired effect until he can upgrade his gear.
Avast Ye Scurvy Scalawags!

Pirate Gear:

Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Series 10 5-String Bass
Vintage 70s Ampeg SVT/SVT 8x10 Cab
Ibanez GSA 60 Guitar
Roland Cube 15 Amp
Yamaha DD-55 Drum Machine
TASCAM 424 Portastudio
just mic his amp and run it into a p.a.
"but i don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"oh, you can't help that," said the Cat. "we're all mad here."
~lewis carroll
or...run a line output from the first amp into the input of the second amp, most bass amps i've seen have some sort of line out
"but i don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"oh, you can't help that," said the Cat. "we're all mad here."
~lewis carroll
Quote by hydriplex

That would be the ideal situation, but it seems that this particular group is just starting out, and likely do not have a huge P.A. system to work with.

( I always used a "Direct box" to go into the P.A. myself, but with an AMPEG SVT behind me, the P.A. never had to do much of my heavy lifting. :P )

If you play a club with their own house P.A., that is the best solution of course.

Pirate Gear:

Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Series 10 5-String Bass
Ibanez GSA 60 Guitar
Roland Cube 15 Amp
TASCAM 424 Portastudio
You could just run him through the PA with the mics. Your tube amps will sound great anyway. Then to play a bigger gig you can just mic up some of the drums so they cut through better and turn everything else up.
Quote by MarkTremonti
Just stop sucking so bad so you won't have to make him the centerpiece of the band.

That's a nono.

Yeah, there is definitely a way, but I haven't any clue of the specifics. Get enough money to upgrade his rig.
Member #8 of the "I Love Waterbears" club!! PM Phantom lord363 to join

Member #2 of the "I love Mexican food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join.

Machine-gun tappist of the Bass Militia. PM Duff_McGee or IndieMetalhead to join.

LOL @ RABBIT
Quote by hydriplex
or...run a line output from the first amp into the input of the second amp, most bass amps i've seen have some sort of line out

Quote by hydriplex

don't double post, please. There's an edit button on the bottom right hand side of every post. You can use it to fit an idea you got in the first post right after posting instead of posting a second time.

Quote by MarkTremonti

please, keep these kind of comments to yourself. No one laughed.

the only way I know of is the Y-cable idea because its two combos. If you had real rigs that could be real sick.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Thanks gents! Although we don't suck, our bassist is simply at another level. Once we hit HS, hopefully we would've improved just enough so he doesn't bail on us. He's just fantastic and therefore has the "authority."

I'm gonna do further research on the Y-splitter and the input/output cable connections and see if that is possible on the model we have. And if these are possible, placing the 2 amps at both ends will kick so much a55!!!

I'm not familiar with the PA and mic things and the rest of the group probably aren't either. Sounds like more equipment than we have. Anyway, this first paid gig will be outdoors but we'll be in the covered veranda surrounded by stucco walls ... should be ideal for projecting the sounds. We don't want to make more mistakes than necessary but I'm sure we'll have a blast as soon as we address most of the potential gotchas. Thanks again!
I think the Y-Splitter cable is the most cost effective solution to your problem, not to mention, some amps don't like being "daisy-chained", and you might blow up one or both of them., so i advise against trying that until you get advice from your local music store.

Good luck with the gig, and keep your bass man if you can, a good bassist is not easy to find.

Pirate Gear:

Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Series 10 5-String Bass
Ibanez GSA 60 Guitar
Roland Cube 15 Amp
TASCAM 424 Portastudio
Quote by Ampeg J
I think the Y-Splitter cable is the most cost effective solution to your problem, not to mention, some amps don't like being "daisy-chained", and you might blow up one or both of them., so i advise against trying that until you get advice from your local music store.

Good luck with the gig, and keep your bass man if you can, a good bassist is not easy to find.

Thanks for the warning about daisy-chaining. I'll make sure we do comprehensive research and if in doubt, check with the pros.

BTW, no doubt about keeping him, the question really is: Will he wait long enough for the rest to catch up OR will he just bail us and go with the more experienced HS bands.
i tried plugging in my bass amp into guitar to have two amps working, at the time was learning anesthesia, and all i heard was wauling from my guitar amp, but thats me personally may i did something wrong and the input/output idea with two amps really works :S
Good luck - and let us know how it goes!

My friend blew his Marshall "daisy chaining" it. Thank god for warranties!
How do you get to broadway?

"Practice, practice, practice".

I've played with musicians both above, and below my skill level. It's all about making things interesting for all the players concerned.

Keep improving your own skills, and he'll stick around.

Pirate Gear:

Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Series 10 5-String Bass
Ibanez GSA 60 Guitar
Roland Cube 15 Amp
TASCAM 424 Portastudio
I think there's an other way to do this.
My Ashdown combo is basicly just the amp built in a speakercab, you can see the backside of the amp. There's a cable stuck in the out that leads into the cab. The other out I use to connect mine 15" cab. If you can unplug the cab from the amp and plug it in the other amp you've got yourself a rig.
'Have you felt the trembling in your stomach, the bass that leads us there'
ok with the bx1200 in the back you have a bunch of plugs and stuff you'll see amp in preamp out etc. take a 1/4" cable and plug it into the preamp out and into the amp in of the other amp. now whichever one has the cable into the preamp out is gonna act as the head and thats the one u plug the bass into.

but just to let you know, i only read the manual for my bx1200 once and thats what i remember of it (over a year ago). what i suggest to you is to read ur manual again and it'll hav a whole section on hooking up extension cabs.

what im concerned is first if both speakers will power if you hook it up like this, and second if the preamp is strong enough to power both speakers etc.

read ur manual in other words.
If you have a set of speakers or something along those lines why don't you plug the bass into them using n adapter from like Radio Shack or something? Of course im not sure if you can really change the tone much...
okok just to explain this (hopefully) correctly... if you have the signal from a music instrument (fex. Bass) its going to be processes in the amp like this:

Bass Signal (~ <10v) --> Amp Input --> PreAmp (the Signal will be amplified slightly, effects and EQ will be added at this stage) --> Power Amp (amplifies the signal "really") --> Speakers.

And the "Recording Out" will give the "Pre-AmpED" signal. If you now connect the "Recording Out" with the "Input" of the other amp, the signal will be waaaaay to "strong" and maybe blow the amp.

If you Connect "Recording Out" with the "Line In" (or CD-In or something) it should work, although i really recommend to turn down all the settings and only slightly rise it just for security.

And, don't try this at home, i don't wanna be responsible for you blowing your amp
i love it when you hate the world ~ Zuko