I linked my crybaby up to my bass and everytime i tilted the pedal back it started picking up radio. it was really fuzzy so i cudnt hear what station it was, but it wasnt my imagination.

does any1 know why its doing that or if thats normal?
It sometimess happens to me when the knobs arent cranked.

If you have lace sensor pickups, that might have something to do with it
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
I've picked up a few spanish radio channels on my strat knockoff, quite funny to quit playing, put the guitar down, hear upbeat latino tunes, then have 5 guys randomly dancing to said music

it's a disease i tell you
"but i don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"oh, you can't help that," said the Cat. "we're all mad here."
~lewis carroll
Yeah - i've had that happen. Weird, isn't it! Being in the south west of England it happened to be a Spanish channel. Is it a single-coil pickup? Because it hasn't happened with my guitar (HH), only my bass (PJ pickup combination)
it was a silvertone strat copy, i had the cheap stock single coils in it, i believe it was on the bridge pickup, strange none the less, thouh quite amusing
"but i don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"oh, you can't help that," said the Cat. "we're all mad here."
~lewis carroll
never happened to me but i dont have a cry baby so i guess thats why
you cant spell manslaughter without laughter

Quote by ACG
I like my women how I like my cookies. Smothered in diarrhea.
If you have cables that are coiled or just tangled they can act as an antenna... Shut up you... a ss? well, *** is probably right.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
Quote by poochy
If you have cables that are coiled or just tangled they can act as an antenna... Shut up you... a ss? well, *** is probably right.

lol!!! ass isn't censored
Actually, I remember what it was - I've got a cheap p-bass copy and the bridge was earthed - if i wasn't touching any of the strings I either got hum or (occasionally) the radio. I just cut the wire.
Quote by smb
Actually, I remember what it was - I've got a cheap p-bass copy and the bridge was earthed - if i wasn't touching any of the strings I either got hum or (occasionally) the radio. I just cut the wire.

That was a bad idea. By "earthed" I assume you mean grounded. Cutting that wire increases the chance of you getting electrocuted, whether it is fatal or not is unpredictable. I don't know why electric things need to be grounded, but I think it has something to do with getting rid of excess electricity.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
I've been electrocuted enough not to really care anymore. Besides - I don't see my strings charging up hugely when I play. It's certainly going to be far less than the mains 240V, and that doesn't hurt too much!

But being serious, I'm a physics student and your strings aren't gonna charge up enough to give you anything really noticable. If you are getting noise but want your bridge earthed (as it's generally called here) then put a resistor between it and the jack.
Quote by smb
I've been electrocuted enough not to really care anymore. Besides - I don't see my strings charging up hugely when I play. It's certainly going to be far less than the mains 240V, and that doesn't hurt too much!

But being serious, I'm a physics student and your strings aren't gonna charge up enough to give you anything really noticable. If you are getting noise but want your bridge earthed (as it's generally called here) then put a resistor between it and the jack.

Still man!

"Leslie "Les" Harvey: Age 27
Stone The Crows
(b. 1946, d. 3 May 1972).
Leslie Harvey younger brother of Alex first recorded work was on an Alex Harvey LP called " The blues" in 1964 when Leslie was 16 years old. He joined his brothers band and from then until the formation of Stone The Crows in 1966 . The quintet's early blues-based albums were notable for both Maggie Bell and Jimmy Dewar's expressive vocals and Leslie Harvey's textured, economic guitar work. However, an inability to match their live popularity with record sales led to disaffection and both John McGuinness and Dewar left on completing ODE TO JOHN LAW. On 3 May 1972, Leslie Harvey died after being electrocuted onstage at Swansea's Top Rank Ballroom. Although the group completed a fourth album with Jimmy McCulloch from Thunderclap Newman, they lacked the heart to continue and broke up the following year. "
http://elvispelvis.com/electrocuted.htm

It could happen to you!

This is an interesting link. http://sound.westhost.com/earthing.htm
I'm sure many more people die as a result of drink, fags, dope and driving yet I don't avoid any of these. You can be over-cautious.
Fair enough. Though I've been playing bass for 5 years now, and have owned a number of basses. I have never been electrocuted by a bass or any musical instrument, not even static.

All I'm stating is that what's happening to you is not normal. It's not about not playing your bass, it's about fixing it.

It's like driving a car with a broken seat belt. Why risk it when you can get it fixed inexpensively.
Last edited by shut_up_you_*** at May 7, 2006,
Quote by mouldysandwich
I linked my crybaby up to my bass and everytime i tilted the pedal back it started picking up radio. it was really fuzzy so i cudnt hear what station it was, but it wasnt my imagination.

does any1 know why its doing that or if thats normal?

LOL. Yeah, I get it sometimes through my amp. If you go to the Jim Dunlop site and onto the FAQ's they tell how to get rid of it, but it ain't that much of a problem
Spector Legend 4 Custom
Ashton AB-2
Dunlop 105Q Crybaby
Ibanez PD7 Overdrive
SWR LA 15 (dead)
Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II
Gallien-Krueger Neo 212
yeh smb im not goin to cut my earth wire, i kinda agree with shut up you ***. ill try lookin at the jim dunlop site n see what it says - less of a chance of killin myself
It's caled Radio Magnetic Interference, or RMI. It's the same thing that happens when your cell phone rings in the car and the radio makes loud noises.
in the room we practice my bridge pick up seems to go for whatever's on the cable tv at the time, where as my gutiarist picks up radio 1. It's normal I think, try foil shielding whatever you think is picking up the fuzz.
slammed my penis in the toilet seat when I was 7-8yrs old,when I tried to run away,it got caught and stretched out, now it is huge,and I have the good ol shxtter to thank

Member of the Anti-Hotpunksk8rgirl club. PM X Alkaline 3 to join