maybe if u worked it out so that ur playing each bass with a different effect? that way u could tell what each bass was playing a lil better. that might be really cool. especially if u found two effect that really mesh well together.
Ever hear of Big Bottom on "This is Spinal Tap?" 3 Bass guitars. You can definitly do it, BUT...its all a matter of getting each bass guitar to a separate general frequency, one really low, one mid, and one treble.
70's Japan Greco SuperPower
Amps: '65 TRRI - Peavey Classic 50 4x10 - Epiphone VJ Head (Modded) - 2x12 Celestion Greenback Cab
FX: BK Tube Driver - EH Small Stone - MXR CC
Acoustics: Breedlove ADSM20 - Alveraz 5021 12-String
^ but even then I think on Big bottom it only harmonizes at the chorus, and even then one of them is doing powerchords I think. But its been a while since I heard the words "big bottoms, big bottoms, *something something* poundcake, my girl's got 'em!"

Harmonization is a matter of putting all the pieces in the chord far apart. You could do it and do it well. It's not that difficult if you write a decent enough chord progression and all stick to different positions.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
we used to do it in our band(we had two bassists...we kicked one out pretty quickly) it didnt sound horrible...just not great...
Quote by Wolfdarrigan
we used to do it in our band(we had two bassists...we kicked one out pretty quickly) it didnt sound horrible...just not great...

now Im not going to judge your situation too quickly, but I bet you only harmonized in fifths and octaves.

Which won't work.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
it could work. just dont let teh rest of teh band play too low or you'll hav a muddy sound. you need to maintain to sound spectrum balance majigger thing.
maybe, with like 8ve+ stuff maybe, how mwny basses you thinking? and would guitar be involved?or re you just wondering?
Quote by UtBDan
now Im not going to judge your situation too quickly, but I bet you only harmonized in fifths and octaves.

Which won't work.

haha, nope, forths and octaves...but yea, it didnt work.
...going up in 4ths doesn't make sense chordally. Which is why it didn't harmonize well - because there was no real chordal harmony.

Fifths and octaves work, but only if you use them hand in hand with thirds. You could do straight thirds and it'd harmonize decently, but not as well as properly using octaves, fifths, thirds, and if the chord calls for it, sevenths. It's all a matter of music theory.

And I was just guessing (and guessed properply) that that attempt at harmonizing, had no idea had to harmonize.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
Harmonizing on a bass can be done, just look at all the double tracked songs that Micheal Manring does.
one bass plays chords, one solos, one plays a bass line?
^ that wouldn't be harmonization, that would be 3 basses playing 3 different parts.

Harmonization does have a meaning other than "lets play together!!!1111111!!"
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
no, at the time we knew no theory...now, our current bassesist knows much, much more about theory, i havent taken the time to learn completly...so i just dabble at it here and there....if i have a question, i just ask him...
so since this is kinda the same thing...howcome whenever you try and play 2 lower notes and it sounds like there not in tune...but if you play them an octave higher it sounds awesome??is it because when the sound waves are closer there easier toget lined up and when there further apart they could be outa line...like if you looked ant one of those things that make a picture of sound waves(i forgot the name) like there not centered together??
"The grass is always greener on the other side..."
Quote by tetsuma
Bass work is just as important as guitar work, its people who dont understand this who fail.
its because they're so low they blend together much easier. Its in essence what you just thought, yes.

The reason 4ths and 5ths work so well are because one's soundwaves happens 3 times every time the root happens two times, and one happens every 2 times while the root happens every 3. They match up very frequently, which is why they work in most every musical situation.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
of course its possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! duh, but the quality might not be great
i think it would sound better the higher up the neck you played

of course im not a bassist so i really wouldnt know
Why have a cacophony of ****ty players when you can, like, use effective chordal tones by yourself? lol.
Member #8 of the "I Love Waterbears" club!! PM Phantom lord363 to join

Member #2 of the "I love Mexican food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join.

Machine-gun tappist of the Bass Militia. PM Duff_McGee or IndieMetalhead to join.

LOL @ RABBIT
proper harmonization on a bass would be virtually impossible to do live by yourself.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
All depends really on what harmony you are playing. Certain harmonies will stick out better. I play a harmonies with my guitarist at live shows in breakdowns on certain songs and to make to notes stick out more for the harmony I tend to play slap.
The only 2 types of women that don't bitch and moan are gifs and jpgs.........
Quote by UtBDan
proper harmonization on a bass would be virtually impossible to do live by yourself.

Two handed tapping?
well, I suppose then it would be possible; but even then a real case of harmonization has atleast 3 voices.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
Yes, like everyone else says, it is infact possible. You just have to find something good to harmonize. Certainly if it's not a good thing to harmonize, it'll sound like crap and it will be like one big loud noise...

ALSO you coulda just tried it...
Quote by Bumper
A looper, plus two handed tapping.

right. So, if you play one line first and don't change it throughout the whole song, and then keep the second and third parts simple enough for it to be played one handed on seperate strings while you play simulataniously with your other hand, yeah, great, you have harmonized.

Did I mention that when I said it's not really possible alone, I didn't mean with tapping or after buying effects I meant while playing bass like it were a bass? Oh great. Thanks for taking the time to prove me wrong.

I really don't think many people here actually understand the term harmonization. Harmonization is the act of building a chord across many voices. It can refer to the way in which you play a C major chord on piano and it can refer to the note you hit when singing background vocals.

If you're just playing a bassline and you get someone to play the same line an octave above you... that's not harmonization.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
Come on Dan, don't get mad....You totally made me feel stoopid like 5 times in a row the other day, just let me have my moment of glory...please.
If you had three fretless basses I think it might sound interesting, using chordal sliding or something like that (it's not a real term I just couldn't think of what else to call it).

I would probably use open voicings, though. By open, I mean the notes are not all within an octave of each other. A normal C chord in closed position is C E G, but if you move up the E an octave, so its C G E(up an octave) there's more room and the chord can sound less muddy.
Of course you can! You just need to know how tastefully. If you are talking about two guitars and one bass.
I don't want any gripes about the band, but have you ever heard the song "Orion" by Metallica? It is possibly my favorite song by them and it is definately my favorite bass part. It starts at about 6:35-6:36 into it. Even if you hate Metallica or instrumentals (this is both) please listen to it. Cliff Burton all the way.
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Founder of the Soundgarden Fan Club (Louder Than F*ck!). PM me to join.
POUNDCAKES!? DAN, for shame!!

buncakes thats why its in a song called BIG BOTTOMS

great ****ing movie.
period.