Because of what note they're based on. If you're playing a G5 power chord and it doesnt match the song, then obviouslt that G5 isnt in the scale. When playing a song, try and find the root of the key as the power chord. So if you can tell that the same G5 is the most natural note of another song, then chances are it's in the key of G Major.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Just come up with a riff, i suppose. There's no real way to "write a song with power chords". You just play what sounds good.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Gitar crazy
no i mean because they r not major or minor how do u write a song with power chords

by knowing that 7 out of 8 chords in both the major and natural minor scale are based off a powerchords, with everything besides a viidiminished (major scale) or a ii diminished (minor scale) have a powerchord base due to the R-5 being in the chord.

basically, 7 out of 8 chords are based off of R-something-5, and because of that, 7 out of 8 chords in a standard key could also be done as powerchords.

However, if you're going to go so far as learning keys... use the real friggen chords.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by Gitar crazy
no i mean because they r not major or minor how do u write a song with power chords

The tonality is implied in the context of the song. Even if you have a bass line like, say, U2's With Or Without You, you can still hear the changes from major to minor.