I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here's what I want to ask.
I was just listening to me playing and I realised I get an awful sound on high gain settings. It sounds fine at first but from a distance or on recordings it has no depth. It's more of a screech rather than a thick distortion.
While I'm thinking along the lines of Slayer or Pantera for my tone its very screechy.
Is there anything I can do about this? I realise that it could be the fact that I use an SS amp but surely It's still possible to get the sound I'm after (Slayer and Pantera).
My gear is:
A Vintage Superstrat (Jackson Soloist ripoff)
and a Marshall MG100DFX
I'm getting a BK Warpid (pickup) soon but I know that that won't fully solve the problem. So... any advice on thickening my sound?

PS I've tried turning up the bass
PPS It's not just me with this problem; I've noticed it on other people.
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
Pantera and Slayer have VERY different sounds. Slayer boosts the mids, while Pantera boosts the highs and lows while cutting the mids.

You could buy a distortion pedal.
And get rid of the god-awful MG.

The amp simply can not sound good.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
get some thicker strings... i recently started buying 10's instead of what i usually buy (9's) and i deffinatly noticed a more fuller sound. next time i need new strings on my electric, im going to buy 11's and experiment with that. but thicker strings deffinatly does it.
Quote by vikramkr
I am trying to shred using power chords
A lot of recordings are fattened up by double-tracking the guitars. Some bands use more than a dozen guitars dubbed into the mix to get that thick sound.
I use .13s in standard tuning, you don't need ones that thick though.

Also, I would recommend boosting your mids. The bass will probably not cut through the mix of your band, so all you'll get are the screeching highs.