Hey everyone, i'm gonna be painting a guit pretty soon and i've been coming up with ideas for schemes, and i thought of one when i was watching miami ink they had gone to a bike shop and one bike'e fender's paint job looked like a drawing was underneath the colour in black. I was wondering if i were to put down a white primer and taped out my design and sprayed black, then when that dried throw on a coat of red or blue or sumthing in semitransparent lacquer. Would this make the black from underneath come through or would it be a waste of black paint?
And would it matter if i use semitrasparent or not for the top coat? like could i use a regular tinted lacquer and still have the black come through in a darker shade?
thanx for any advice i can get!
I'm not quite sure what you're looking for. Do you think you might have any pictures about what you're looking for?
Quote by bertskarzi196
Hey everyone, i'm gonna be painting a guit pretty soon and i've been coming up with ideas for schemes, and i thought of one when i was watching miami ink they had gone to a bike shop and one bike'e fender's paint job looked like a drawing was underneath the colour in black. I was wondering if i were to put down a white primer and taped out my design and sprayed black, then when that dried throw on a coat of red or blue or sumthing in semitransparent lacquer. Would this make the black from underneath come through or would it be a waste of black paint?
And would it matter if i use semitrasparent or not for the top coat? like could i use a regular tinted lacquer and still have the black come through in a darker shade?
thanx for any advice i can get!

Yeah, in theory this would work. What you'd have to watch out for is that your mask doesn't peel up your primer coat. Airbrush frisket would be better than tape. Depends what kinda paint you plan on using as well.
Last edited by ban rap at May 8, 2006,
I'm sure *algee* would appreciate it if you punctuated, capitalized, and otherwise typed like an intellegent human being. Its just a waste of time for him otherwise. Because Algee's such a god (Not at you AlGee, at these n00bs)

*AlGee* might also appreciate it if you used both this and/or this.
As well as maybe checking the stickies.

But ignoring all that, common sense should let you know that it all depends on the opacity of the top coat.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
i think it could just be red with the darker shade sprayed on. Not this funny business about semi transparent lacquer
yeah, but i'm not going for a sprayed on top look, i want the 'wow, one colour looks like its beneath the other" look!
and thanx P.Q., not to be hostile but you know, punctuation is always my top priority when i'm asking about paint in a forum with kids who type 500 million times worse than myself.
^Just saying, if you want help, it benefits YOURSELF if you type well.
And you'll find that in the more intellegent forums, the typing is actually quite a bit better. Pit n00b
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Looks to me like standard airbrush work in a darker red over the bright red, with clear varnish on top.
thats just lightly painted overtop...possibly a light dusting of solid red over top of that to lower the contrast if the artist put it on too heavy by accident. pretty much only possibly with an airbrush
Hey riff, do oy uhave any pics of your work by chance? jsut out of curiosity.

Btw, that looks like it was just airbrushed on top. Other then that, some relative idea to how shadows work, and a nice flat clear coat on top.
Quote by bertskarzi196
i don't have an airbrush so thats out of the question but i'll find sumthing for reference
how about his this is sort of the idea i'm going for, how the drawign seems like tis under the paint kinda in a different shadehttp://kozmicdreams.com/v-web/gallery/Detroit-Autorama-2004/faded_skull_paint_job

The way to do that would be: Red-->Black and White-->Clear

You would put the graphic on top of the finished red coats, not the other way around. And for this type of graphic you would really need to use an airbrush, although you could get away with transluscent vinyl from a signwriter or custom graphics shop.
ok thanx for all your responses! i don't have an airbrush so i'm gonna have to wing this ****! and sorry P.Q., i didn't mean to be so aggressive towards you! sorry
yeah here is some of my stuff. i dont have digital pictures of the other 2 bikes i have done but i could scan them i guess...the other stuff is just done on illustration board

this is a 1983 harley davidson sportster. it isnt my most impressive work...nor was it really challenging but it was clean and simple and that is wut the owner wanted. the first pic shows the tank b4 it got clear

this was my first airbush drawing...wish i had a bigger pic of it but i sold it
Wow, that first one is amazing. That car is really nice too, I wish I was that good.