In a few weeks I'm gonna buy myself a new axe and i was thinking of maybe replacing the pickups in it a couple of weeks after that maybe, all i really want to know is how well the EMG passive pickups compare to the active ones, 'cause i know i can't be bothered with active electronics, batteries aren't nice to me.

In case it helps i intend to play metal, like metallica, megadeth etc and some hardcore/metalcore on this guitar.
kirk uses the active pickups (85 and 81 i believe).I cant really tell you about the passive ones though
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
dont get hz's ...if you play metal you wanna go with the active ones like 81-85 set, 81-81, 81-60 or 81-89
if not...they make mustaine active duncans now which kinda look like emgs, theyre supposed to be sick
and if you wanna go with a passive pickup...avoid the invader, go with a dimebucker
"what are good intermediate classic rock covers?"
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix
and maybe war by meshuggah

/runs
I know a lot of metal guitarist nowadays use the active ones, and i'm pretty sure Alexi Laiho from Children of Bodom plays using a passive pickup, but i heard somewhere he also uses an afterburner aswell to boost his signal, which, once again, requires batteries...which i don't do...

Thanks for trying though
Passive Pickups sound good but Active pickups sound so much clearer and pick up heavy crunch sound so well. Heres what its like Passive Pickups are like eating a burrito, and active pickups are eating a burrito with hot sauce(or whatever u put on them) it just makes it twice as good. Oh and Active Pickups sound delicious with METALLICA!
Ok, maybe some duncans then, Di'Marzio do some high output pups though don't they? anyone know anything about them?
^X2N? Maybe? Dunno much about metal pickups.

Might want to look into Bareknuckles or Swinesheads.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
kirk uses an 81-81, battery life on emgs at 3000-6000 hours. just dont leave it pluged in the jack u will only have to replace like once a year.