I'm looking at the Carvin Legacy 2x12 and 4x12, and I was wondering what the sound differances are. Obviously, the 4x12 is going to be louder, but how much louder? I do a couple shows a year, but I'm mainly just playing at home. I have a fairly (Ok, it's actually rather large...) house with lots of open room, so I can crank up a bit. But not too much. I do have parents.

I've heard that the 2x12 has a slighter tighter bottom end. Is this true?
Any other information about the differences between 2x12's and 4x12's will be much appreciated

It'll be going with a Laney GH-50L head. [All tube]

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Meh.

Last time I went to the Carvin store ( about a week ago ), I tried out some of their amps for about 10 minutes. . . Didn't like the V3 or the Bel Air. I didn't get the try the Legacy, but if it's anything like the other amps. . .

As far as the tightness - the 2x12 seems to have a little port under the speakers that would isolate it from the ground, which could help with the tightness, but i've heard some people don't like that. I wasn't fond of the heads, so I don't know how well the cabs were performing.

Sorry.
Go 2x12...4x12 isn't gonna be much louder, and they should sound pretty similar.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
The 4x12 would allow you to distribute the volume more evenly, especially towards your head level.

But I would still buy a 2x12 - 4x12's are too impractical for a gig or two every year.
^ Thanks much, both of you. I'll probably order it in the next week or so.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Cool. Keep us updated.

I was also interested in that Laney, but it's a single channel, isn't it? That's what put me off.
Quote by Mascot
The 4x12 would allow you to distribute the volume more evenly, especially towards your head level.

But I would still buy a 2x12 - 4x12's are too impractical for a gig or two every year.

It's not like it gives you anymore volume. So why not invest in it? If you have the money, go for it. I mean, sure, it might be a bit of a pain to carry around, but if it gives you a better sound, why not?
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
i have both....i like the 412 for the bass, but HATE moving it around...i LOVE the mids/trble abd bass of the 212 plus its ezer to move..my vote will be for the 212.
Oh I must've skipped that part...the 4x12 DOESN'T give more volume? I don't want any extra volume, but I am willing to pay the money.

But I am lazy lol, and I'd hate to have to move it around a ton...

Yeah, I've only had a couple chances to actually play through the GH...I really like it, so far. Tonally...it's awesome. I don't need a TON of wattage, so 50 watts is really pretty good. I Would've liked to have a clean channel, but Gilbert's head (well, the 50 watt ver.) for $650 on ebay, in good condition, was too good to pass up.

EDIT:
Question: I'm going to be going to the Carvin outlet near me this upcoming weekend: Would it be worth my time to check out the MTS 2x12? It's a lot cheaper [>$300 list] but if it's not even on par with the Legacy, then it's not really worth it.

Anyone here every played it/owned/own it? I'll test it out, but it can't hurt to have a little peer response first...

Last edited by ChurchNSkate at May 9, 2006,
Quote by EaRSh0T
i have both....i like the 412 for the bass, but HATE moving it around...i LOVE the mids/trble abd bass of the 212 plus its ezer to move..my vote will be for the 212.

i go from bandpractice to home all the time with my full stack and i have no problem with the extra load. i got a nifty little device from the hardware store called a hand truck.

also. i like the added bass and fullness of the 4x12.
Quote by ChurchNSkate
Oh I must've skipped that part...the 4x12 DOESN'T give more volume? I don't want any extra volume, but I am willing to pay the money.

But I am lazy lol, and I'd hate to have to move it around a ton...

Yeah, I've only had a couple chances to actually play through the GH...I really like it, so far. Tonally...it's awesome. I don't need a TON of wattage, so 50 watts is really pretty good. I Would've liked to have a clean channel, but Gilbert's head (well, the 50 watt ver.) for $650 on ebay, in good condition, was too good to pass up.

EDIT:
Question: I'm going to be going to the Carvin outlet near me this upcoming weekend: Would it be worth my time to check out the MTS 2x12? It's a lot cheaper [>$300 list] but if it's not even on par with the Legacy, then it's not really worth it.

Anyone here every played it/owned/own it? I'll test it out, but it can't hurt to have a little peer response first...

The MTS 2x12 will sound similar to a Marshall 2x12 because of the speakers. If you want a good 2x12, go with an Avatar.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Quote by Ambulance X
It's not like it gives you anymore volume. So why not invest in it? If you have the money, go for it. I mean, sure, it might be a bit of a pain to carry around, but if it gives you a better sound, why not?

4 speakers will sound larger than a 2 speaker cab.
^That's not really a big issue for me?if it sounds "larger," well, whatever. I'll just go for the 2x12. Easier to take around, cheaper, minimal sound differences...yeah.

The difference is anything but minimal. The change in tone is drastic. You dont get the depth of a 4x12.

You don't get the precieved volume, either. The sound doesn't seem to be distributed as evenly, especially up further into the air unless you put your 2x12 cab up on something a few feet in the air.

As far as transportation goes I don't understand whats so bad about a 4x12 if you hardly have to move it. I have no problem tossing my 4x12 cabs around with my 5'8" 150lb Body.

with a 2x12-

It will be 'easier' to move, you'll still have to move the same number of pieces/parts

It will be shorter, thusly taking up less space (at least vertically. You can stick it under something if you needed room... horizontally they're the same size as a 4x12 usually)

You will get a bit more 'punch' over a 4x12

with a 4x12-

You'll get more volume. More air moved = more volume. 4x12>2x12

You'll get more depth.

You'll have more bass.

Your tone will be more 'rounded' and possibly less shrill (due to the depth)

If portability is a problem get casters (wheels) or have a bandmate help you haul it around. If your bandmates are too sissy to help you move a cab they should get kicked in the nuts (Unless they're wheelchair bound, then make them pull the cab around with their char )

They come with handles and ****, usually, so I wouldn't be too worried. Casters arent much.. Personally I like my 4x12 over my 2x12. I don't have a problem with volume (keep the master around 1 or 2 for bedroom practice) and yeah.. if its that bad get an attenuator I guess.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at May 10, 2006,
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
The difference is anything but minimal. The change in tone is drastic. You dont get the depth of a 4x12.

You don't get the precieved volume, either. The sound doesn't seem to be distributed as evenly, especially up further into the air unless you put your 2x12 cab up on something a few feet in the air.

As far as transportation goes I don't understand whats so bad about a 4x12 if you hardly have to move it. I have no problem tossing my 4x12 cabs around with my 5'8" 150lb Body.

with a 2x12-

It will be 'easier' to move, you'll still have to move the same number of pieces/parts

It will be shorter, thusly taking up less space (at least vertically. You can stick it under something if you needed room... horizontally they're the same size as a 4x12 usually)

You will get a bit more 'punch' over a 4x12

with a 4x12-

You'll get more volume. More air moved = more volume. 4x12>2x12

You'll get more depth.

You'll have more bass.

Your tone will be more 'rounded' and possibly less shrill (due to the depth)

If portability is a problem get casters (wheels) or have a bandmate help you haul it around. If your bandmates are too sissy to help you move a cab they should get kicked in the nuts (Unless they're wheelchair bound, then make them pull the cab around with their char )

They come with handles and ****, usually, so I wouldn't be too worried. Casters arent much.. Personally I like my 4x12 over my 2x12. I don't have a problem with volume (keep the master around 1 or 2 for bedroom practice) and yeah.. if its that bad get an attenuator I guess.

Amen dude.

Seriously. Dont commit yourself to a 2x12 cab just because its less expensive and easier to haul...which...its not. If you wanted a 2x12 cab so badly then get a COMBO.

Its one thing to want a 2x12 because you truely like the sound better...which is perfectly fine. But its another thing if you want it because youre lazy.

I prefer 4x12 cabs. More chunk, volume, pushes the tubes harder thus a fuller more pushed tone...etc.

Whatev.
Yeah, combos are waaaaaaaaayy more effective than 2x12 cabs, my friend has this sucky Spider II 2x12 cab........ dude i didn't even knew spiderII had 2x12 cabs...... they still suck !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!