hey i was wondering, would it be possible/practical to have a moving pickup?

this the crappiest picture on earth, but i put it together in record time :P

and either way, has this been done before?

i would just like the idea of it because you could change your tone, and anchor your thumb (im a bassist btw, this would be on a bass if done) at any position between the fretboard and bridge.
Hm, I guess that coudl be possible, like mount tehm on a ball bearing slider or soemthing?

I dont' see any serious problem with it, as long as you can find a decent pup that sounds good in all positions.
Cool idea, and quite easy. Instead of just screw holes for the pickup to mount in, make a long cut through the plastic, and then cut out the center of the plastic too, so you can slide the whole thing around.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
It is a good idea indeed. Post pics if you do go ahead with it.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
you gotta find some way to lock the pickup in place though so it doesnt slide around

otherwise, pretty nifty idea. use a Jazz Pickup or a Humbucker
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
i dont have the money for this project right now :P and besides my parents wouldnt let me now anyway cuz they need me to help with their kitchen reno.

if i do decide to go ahead with it, no doubt ill post it up here.
also, the pickups would either need a large amount of wire, or be connected up to say (a) metal rod(s) that runs along that is connected to the pots etc
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Or he coud lattach the wire in the center of the whole route and leave enough for hte pup to move the the far ends of both sides. when he gets to the middle, there might be a bit of wire coming up, but ti's shoudln't be too bad, as long as teh wire doesn't touch the string. Unless you wnat it to look professional, then I guess yo ucoudl look into one of those gagets they use on seatbelts, like retractable wire?
thats an awesome idea for a bassist.

I'll have to remember that for a buddy of mine.
sounds interesting

and as ofr the re tractable wire thing you could probably sutomize on of those smalle knife retrtactors- so you dont drop it into the lake, to hold your sire or soemthing like that

but that would lead to wound wires- and possibly pickup up unwated frequencies
^Just use shielded wiring, no problem.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
it could be on slides, locked in place with a tiny nut and bolt.
but not movable between songs.

and beat it TU^
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Should be able to.. you could do something like this:

just have a pair of metal "L" shape kinda bars, route a channel through it (<no idea about that< milling machine right?) screw one side onto the guitar body, and attach it to the pickup with a nut/bolt type thing... it'd still take awhile to move it though...

i'll see if i can figure out a way to make it move easier... got me thinkin about it now

EDIT:
Quote by jj1565
it could be on slides, locked in place with a tiny nut and bolt.
but not movable between songs.

and beat it TU^

what he said...
......... because here at mcdonald's our special ingredient is our people...
don't dan armstrong guitars (the plexiglass ones) have something like that?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?