Can someone explain to me what the difference is between the Gibson Les Paul Standard and the Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded?

I did a search and some say it's just about the finish, the faded is given a more vintage look but other say the quality control and stuff is worse?
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Squire Stratocaster
Roland Cube 30
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.

Quote by gunther_sucks
Hey you look kind of like me.

Except for the sexy man goatee, and kickass shades. And sweet guitar.

I'm jealous.
I prefer the Faded LP. The feel so SO much better. You can feel the mahogany when you run your hand up the neck. It just feels like quality. IMHO, it feels way better than the regular glossy LP neck. Although I wish the top would still be glossy.

I've played both the Standard and the Faded and there was no difference in quality. They were both superb.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Actully a Faded is just a regualr Standard wich is sanded down.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
The finish is pretty much the only difference. A lot of people seem to equate the Faded series guitars as being 'lower' Gibsons because of their price. In reality, they're cheaper because their rough finish doesn't cost as much as the 'real thing'.

That being said, the best-sounding Les Paul I've heard in years was a Faded LP Std that our local shop had last fall. If I would have had the cash, it would have come home with me, despite my less-than-enamoured with its rough neck finish.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
most les paul standards have the fatter neck...while i think they sell the faded with the 60's slim taper neck. they do sell regular standards in a 60's neck version too. other then that and the finish theres no difference.
Standard faded is the same as Standard, quality-wise. It's the Specials you gotta look out for.
Quote by Gabel

Wouldn't that make them more expensive?

The faded has fewer coats of laquer, making it less time-consuming.
Quote by Gabel

Not at all. The wood on the Faded is much rougher and LESS sanded if anything. And the finishing coats aren't über-buffed and polished smooth like a regular Gibson.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

^Well i asked in a store about Faded Standrdsn (Gibson sites also state the following): They are a regular Standard, with teh color sanded down.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Well, if you've ever actually held and played one, you'd know that isn't the case. That would be retarded - take a $2000 guitar, sand down the finish, and sell if for $1300. That certainly makes no sense to me. Trust me, Gibson are not in the habit of makign extra work for themselves without charging a LARGE premium for it. Christ, if they could find a way to do it, they'd probably charge more if the luthier farted on the guitar while polishing it.

Last edited by Crunchmeister at May 8, 2006,
^I'm thinking that too.
But I absolutely adore the faded Standards, they look amazing, I like it how it doesn't have as much shine to them, and they look more "vintage".
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^We have one at my local store that I refer to as "CheetosBurst". Maybe we got a bad one?
Well i havent seen one in real life (a shame i think they are amazing in looks), sicne no stores ive been to stocks them.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Danno13
^We have one at my local store that I refer to as "CheetosBurst". Maybe we got a bad one?

Haha, maybe it's a bad one, maybe they just rubbed some cheetos on it? To make it look hardcore.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Well fadeds are like the real thing except that it doesn't have a carved maple top and the finish is much much cheaper. This makes it like less than half the price of the real thing.

But it has the same pickups and electronics so it sounds as good if not better.

I mean the finish and maple top cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars. You really save a ton of money with the fadeds.
Quote by Ihearthetfield
Well fadeds are like the real thing except that it doesn't have a carved maple top and the finish is much much cheaper. This makes it like less than half the price of the real thing.

But it has the same pickups and electronics so it sounds as good if not better.

I mean the finish and maple top cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars. You really save a ton of money with the fadeds.

From the Gibson website:

"Top Species: Carved AA maple"
^^^^ woah that's awesome I didn't know that

now I wish I would have gotten a faded instead of the studio plus
Quote by Ihearthetfield
^^^^ woah that's awesome I didn't know that

now I wish I would have gotten a faded instead of the studio plus

there not half the price either. they are still almost 2 grand new just like the standards. i love the way they have a shine to them but its not overly done and they are so clean looking. i'm trying to nab one for 1100 right now from a guy on ebay. hopefully it works out.
The LP Standards sell for $2200 at our local shop. The Faded Standard sells for $1500.

Hmm. I don't dislike the Faded, but if I were to have a worn down guitar, I'd much better like to wear down the Standard I already have, not pre-worn down. Guitars worn in the factory don't appeal to me.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
It's not really a worn / distressed finish. You really have to see it to be able to understand it.

I have seen it. I liked the Standard better.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Well, no arguing that. I like the regular standard better.

Quote by Crunchmeister
The LP Standards sell for $2200 at our local shop. The Faded Standard sells for $1500.

man thats cheap. on musicians friend the faded's are still 1999....unbelievable how they are ripping people off. right now i'm trying to pick one up off of ebay for 1100. if i like it i'll keep it...if not i'll resell it for a few hundred more.