Hey... I've been playing the guitar for about 5 years, and I recently decided it was time to get a guitar that would last me for a long time. The thing is, I've never owned an expensive guitar, so what kind of setup do I want to get the best sound possible?

Im probably going to get http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=517844

So I guess my real question is... What kind of amp should I get and is there anything else that would make any difference in sound.

Thanks in advance
Well that depends on what kind of stuff you want to play (you won't get a Fender if you're trying to play death metal...) and how loud you want to play it.

What kind of amp? a tube amp

as for the Gibson, well if you like the feel and sound of Gibsons then go for it, that finish is sweet. In that kind of pricerange be sure to play the guitar before you buy it because you're going to hate yourself if you drop $2500 on something that you find less than amazing.
Last edited by seljer at May 8, 2006,
depends on what you want to play, but the amp makes up most of your tone so i suggest getting that 1st

pedals, pick ups, strings and even picks make a difference in sound but is all preference
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.

Quote by gunther_sucks
Hey you look kind of like me.

Except for the sexy man goatee, and kickass shades. And sweet guitar.

I'm jealous.
Im into the 'classic rock' sound.. Things like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, ect.

Whats the difference between a tube amp and a regular amp(sound wise)?

Right now I use 9 gauge Ernie Ball Hybird Slinkys, I just bought em one day and I've stuck with them ever since, any recommendations on strings would be cool

How do different picks affect the sound?

Thanks again
Quote by wongacaster
**** dude look around abit before you drop $2500 on a guitar, i dont think you should get it try out some other cheap guitars and then try some guitar in the $2000 market and yeah.
whoa i was thinking you where gunna get a like $1000 dollar guitar then i click the link and its a $2500 gibson whoa that surprised me.

I think I've spent the past two weeks browsing around. Its a birthday gift to myself. I just think its wise to dish out a large sum of cash now to get something that will last me instead of buying cheapish guitars
Quote by wongacaster
yes, just remeber to look around at other guitars price that much.
oh and what colour are you gunna have it?

Well it's still just a 'maybe' but if I do indeed get that I like the Midnight Burst finish
if your going to spend that much money i would go to a guitar shop and play everything, if you tell them how much your going to spend they will probally set it all up for you and kiss your ass while your at it
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.

Quote by gunther_sucks
Hey you look kind of like me.

Except for the sexy man goatee, and kickass shades. And sweet guitar.

I'm jealous.
Go with the les paul mate. I wont play anythin else. There awesome. Id get a second hand one and butcher it.......... I mean, customise it like i did mine!
Attachments:
1.jpg
What amp do you have? I have a Marshall JCM800, wich love and i have a Les Paul, id reccomend you to get an amp for 1000 (a Marshall JCM800,, tehy are great forclassic rock) and a Les Paul Studio or Classic.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009