Wanted to find some new stuff to try to play on my classical and I know the JB back to bedlam album fairly well so thought I'd try a few from here.

Thing is I see tabs for 'Goodbye my Lover' but it is played with a piano so how am I supposed to get the guitar chords to fit? I tried listening to the song and I can hear the heavy chord as played on the piano, but then it sounds like what would be a finger picked section on the guitar between chord changes, but obviously you are supposed to strum them?? Do I make sense!! Is there a guitar version of this track?
Just play it however you think it sounds best. The song was written on piano, I don't see any reason why James Blunt would play it on guitar, so I don't think there is a guitar version.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
I find it amusing that it is the exact same chord sequence as "Octopus's Garden".
Psycho Killer,
Qu'est-ce que c'est?
Fa fa fa faa fa fa fa fa-fa faa

Quote by Paul Brannigan
Pie is like bread, but just with more pie in it
yo james blunt is gay but check out my album tabs i tabbed both the albums, under _BaXteR_ and _futurerockstar, ver2 is better

peace out
I'm not bothered whether he is gay or straight - just wanted to try playing some of his songs
I'll strum along and see how I get on
I actually think James Blunt is pretty good...it actually takes awhile before you want to admit it...but Im not embarrassed about it anymore hahaha...His songs are pretty simple so they are fun to just sideride and work on your singing...
Ventura Acoustic
Ibanez AES20EBK
ESP LTD M-155
15 watt Behringer V-Tone
19 watt Epiphone Studio 105 ($15 off of craigslist)
Boss DS-1

Member #7 of UGPSA PM AK Guitarist to join.
Quote by ClassicRockJeff
I actually think James Blunt is pretty good...it actually takes awhile before you want to admit it...but Im not embarrassed about it anymore hahaha...His songs are pretty simple so they are fun to just sideride and work on your singing...

I wouldn't go that far, but I have to agree to an extent. People diss him so hard when he really doesn't deserve it. I read an interview with him and his explanation for why he gets such a hard time is that his music has "real emotion, something that scares most people" (or words to that effect).

Oh and threadstarter: why not try your own unique take on the song? I generally don't like to stick to the EXACT strumming pattern for most songs. Fingerpick it, or give the song a more rhythmic "vibe" or something (lol sorry for the vagueness I just woke up). Carbon copies of songs are never that interesting IMO.
Guitars
"Dakota" - Fender Splatter Strat
"Jacqueline" - Maton CW80
Last edited by jase_connor at May 20, 2006,
Quote by jase_connor
I wouldn't go that far, but I have to agree to an extent. People diss him so hard when he really doesn't deserve it. I read an interview with him and his explanation for why he gets such a hard time is that his music has "real emotion, something that scares most people" (or words to that effect).

When musicians say things like that, it just pisses me off. It's so pretentious, like... "oh wow, I'm God's gift to radio." Some commercial for the Raconteurs has them being compared to huge milestones in the music business, and that's just idiocy. To say something like that is to really invite comparison with bands that actually HAVE "real emotion," and he just doesn't stand up. Sorry!

James Blunt would be okay if he had a completely different voice and a completely different, less asshole-ish, less holier-than-thou attitude. But as a songwriter he's just barely above average for the radio, which isn't saying a hell of a lot. But I applaud any semi-good songwriter who can bust into the mainstream.

I still maintain that he ripped the general sound directly off Ryan Adams' "La Cienega Just Smiled" for his hit. Guitar parts are similar, voicing of the rhythm guitar is similar... only thing that's different is that Ryan Adams is simply one of the best songwriters ever and James Blunt is just mediocre in my mind. He even stated in his iTunes playlist that "Cienega" was "an inspiration." I'm not sure where he makes the jump between "inspiration" and "basically stolen," but whatever.

So, yes, he's crappy. But he's not "Simple Plan" crappy... and to compare him to that is more than insulting to anyone who can write average music.
Last edited by pratt121 at May 20, 2006,
He asked something about whether or not to strum the chords, right?? I would say to pluck them, as in jazz style. Anyone else agree??