Wow, I'm surprised there aren't any threads like this.

Anyway, I need new strings. I don't know what kind or what gauge to get. I'm currently using .045-.105 gauges. I'm learning how to slap n' pop, but I also like to play a smooth, groovy bassline. So, any suggestions for any overall good strings?
Oh crap!
DR's are very good, although pricey. I would recommend Elixirs nanoweb strings, they have a thin coating of goretex which is invisible and only just felt. They last a lot longer than average strings, I find about 4 times longer in keeping a bright new sounding tone. The only thing is they cost about twice as much as average. I get them for £30 but I dunno what they would be in the US.

But here are some other cheaper strings I find are pretty good:

Ernie Ball
D'Addario
Elites
Rotosound (very rough feel though but they sound good)
Elixirs. Expensive, but worth it.

BB
x
Gear Lists Are For Boys Who Masturbate Too Much.
I'm a Rotosound fan myself. They have a really bright tone. All 5 of my basses including electroacoustic and 5 string headless are strung with them

Though the only other bass string manufacture I've played are Warwick and Ernie Ball. I'm planning to experiment with more string manufacturers this summer. My next buy is going to be GHS boomers. After that, Elixers and DR's are on my list. So I shall be very interested in other people's comments and recommendations.
DR Color Black Beauties.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Quote by katana_manatee
DR's are very good, although pricey. I would recommend Elixirs nanoweb strings, they have a thin coating of goretex which is invisible and only just felt. They last a lot longer than average strings, I find about 4 times longer in keeping a bright new sounding tone. The only thing is they cost about twice as much as average. I get them for £30 but I dunno what they would be in the US.

But here are some other cheaper strings I find are pretty good:

Ernie Ball
D'Addario
Elites
Rotosound (very rough feel though but they sound good)

Aren't Elixirs a lot more then DR's? I've seen them cost almost $40 USD and DR's cost as low as $20 USD. I've also heard Elixirs are just D'Addario's covered in a glue like substance. In other words, not worth it. I juse Dean Markley Blue Steels .50-1.05 and i like them a lot. they great for more rock/metal playing. for slapping i'd get a light guage ernie balls or "soft" guage D'addarios. Whats nice abotut the D'addarios is they tell what kind of sound you'll get on the box, whether its bright or mellow, etc..
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Ernie Ball Slinky strings. More expensive in the UK than in the US because of import tax etc. I found that their medium gauge were great when I was learning how to slap and pop. I've never yet found a better string to be honest.
Currently using EBS Classic Medium strings... Sound pretty good, not too expensive... Now let's see how long they keep their tone... But I'm probably going back to D'Addario when these wear off... Also the .045 to .105.
Heard great things about the GHS Boomers, but never tried them myself (hard to come by over here... D'Addario is pretty much the only thing you can get...)
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
Quote by Felkara
Ernie Ball Slinky strings. More expensive in the UK than in the US because of import tax etc. I found that their medium gauge were great when I was learning how to slap and pop. I've never yet found a better string to be honest.

I like Ernie Balls, but they dullen too quickly IMO. That's why I prefer stainless steel over nickels. Longer life and more brighter too. I wouldn't mind having a go at their stainless steel range.
Get yourself some Ernie Ball Normal Slinkys. They are awesome. Best strings i've tried yet, but haven't tried Elixers yet so, and I've heard good things about them... but Ernie Ball Slinkys are nice. Both would suit your style.
Fender Jazz Bass
Squire Stratocaster
Yamaha RBX 170(Custom Paint)
Yamaha MagicStomp
Dunlop MXR Distortion +
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Peavey Basic 112
Quote by shut_up_you_***
I like Ernie Balls, but they dullen too quickly IMO. That's why I prefer stainless steel over nickels. Longer life and more brighter too. I wouldn't mind having a go at their stainless steel range.

All true.

I love it to death, but sometimes, it sucks having a six string, because the stainless steel sets for it are either:

-Bloody expensive
-Nonexistent

-_-
Member #8 of the "I Love Waterbears" club!! PM Phantom lord363 to join

Member #2 of the "I love Mexican food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join.

Machine-gun tappist of the Bass Militia. PM Duff_McGee or IndieMetalhead to join.

LOL @ RABBIT
Quote by Riryoku
All true.

I love it to death, but sometimes, it sucks having a six string, because the stainless steel sets for it are either:

-Bloody expensive
-Nonexistent

-_-

Tell me about it. Got some stainless steel 5 string double end string for my headless bass a while back. My wallet was not happy I can tell you!
ernie ball slinkies sound extremely bright and lively when you buy em but after a (short) while of playing them they sound so dead you wont even want to pick up your bass...I havent touched my 6 string for about a week

I plan on getting some elixirs off ebay because I've played them on some of the basses at my local music store and they sound great...Plus they have a long life I'm told...At my local store these go for about 70 dollars for a six string set but on ebay I could get a set of 6 for about 50 US dollars w/ shipping...and a 4 string set for like 35-40 dollars w/ shipping...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."