Alright, I think not only 3 weeks ago did I buy a pack of Super Slinky ernie ball's and they're great and everything but last night I was playing and my e string snapped (1st). Anyone know how this happened? I haven't been going crazy on my guitar or anything lately, and I guess it just might be that I don't clean my strings and maybe I got them more dirty then usual this time?
Gear:
Black Ibanez RG170
Line 6 Spider II 112
Genius Mind
Where did they break? At the bridge? at the nut? at the tuners? somewhere over the frets? or somewhere over the pickups
Been away, am back
3 weeks, ernie balls, i'd say maybe they just broke from use, considering it was the e string.

or maybe there's some sharp edge on the bridge.
Breaking from bridge = Sharp saddle
Breaking from above pickups = Heavy pick attack
Breaking from above frets = General wear and tear (sometimes sharp fret)
Breaking from Nut: sharp nut or strings to tense
Breaking from tuners: strings to tense.
Of course, it can always be there too old.
Been away, am back
Looks like it broke at the bridge... I've got an RG170, do they have sharp "saddles"? And if so what can I do about preventing strings from breaking due to that in the future?
Gear:
Black Ibanez RG170
Line 6 Spider II 112
Genius Mind
I used have this problem with my RG 170 too. Sand the saddles where the strings touch. It's just a jagged edge or something. Or if you don't have a file small enough, you can take a small piece of paper, roll it up and make a little pillow for the string. I've done that before but it's a pain in the ass.
Can you buy singles of any kind of string? And how much do they usually cost?
Gear:
Black Ibanez RG170
Line 6 Spider II 112
Genius Mind