heya... first post in the musician talk forum? maybe im too bass-addicted, whatever..

The basic question (as in the thread-topic) i need some hints for arranging songs for only 3 people.. means: whats the best way to "reduce" 2 guitars to one? (thats the most common problem.. to many guitars). Maybe play the Bass with the Rythm-Guitar-Rythm or play the Root-Chord-Notes of the rythm guitar with the Bass (if the 2nd guitar is doing some solo stuff).

In one row: tell me how! we wanna start of with some covers, if we would write something our own the lyrics would maybe be decent but the music would suck (power chord acrobatics.. yay)

greetz
i love it when you hate the world ~ Zuko
for too many guitars...tkae the rhythem, then add a few key lead notes for the rhythem guitarist to play overtop. just make sure he can play the song a little bit faster than normal and he should be fine
but you cant tell the guitarist to play the rythm while playing (even a simple) solo wich does not even fit with the rythm beat... the best way should be to rise the bass tone and make it to sound more like a low-tuned rythm guitar... i'll have to try and look through some theory..
^That would be a good idea. But it would still sound kind of empty. I think you should either play songs by bands with 3 members, or just find yourself a 2nd guitarist.

The only 3 band member band I can think of right now is Creed. And some Van Halen solos don't have rhythm accompiament (sp?).
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

or Die Ärzte (i like german punk). but its true, if they play live, some songs sound "emptier" than on the album, but it seems like they just ignore the bass...
what you need is a way to mix the rhythm and lead parts. it really depends on the song you are playing, but you can try to figure out which one is more important in each part of the song. lets say the intro has a recognizable lead lick, obviously you play that and leave out the basic rhythm part that accompanies it. when the lyrics come in the lead guitar doesnt seem to do much important as the vocals are the focus, so you can play the rhythm part there. then maybe the chorus has a lead that goes well with the vocals, so you might play that. for some songs letting the notes of the lead ring can make it sound fuller and add some of the full chord aspects of rhythm to your playing. you can also pick single chord notes in the rhythm part to get it to sound more like a lead.

your idea with the bassist also is a good one. if you can get your bassist to maybe play double stops with what he is supposed to be playing and the root note of the rhythm chord, that would add some fullness to the sound. the thing is, it really depends on the song as to how you would arrange it for one guitar. just look at the song and see what you can do to cut parts out and add parts together so it still sounds like the original song.