I'd like to know how most of you go about writing your songs?

Do you like to get the lyrics down first without a melody?

Maybe some cool chord progressions before the words or melody?

Do you just sit down when you have that 'feeling' and do both at the same time (working through it as you go).

I know there's no right or wrong way and I imagine I'm going to see that lots of people say 'whatevers works at the time'....

For me, I started with some words and a little melody I was humming. I kept the words and ditched the melody when I tried putting it to chords.
-Red 1990 Fender Strat with maple neck
-Cream colored Strat. GFS Premium II pickups.
-Line6 spider 210 and Fender Pinceton Chorus amps
-Zoom G2
Last edited by recklessftw at May 8, 2006,
Chord progressions first, usually get there by messing with rhythms and then finding something I like, then fitting the chords to the rhythm. Then I work from there.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
I usually just sit and jam.. and suddenly im like "ohh.. that sounds cool" and i start to work with it, then add lyrics. i find if i do lyrics first, i cant get the guitar rythm to be complex enough for my linking.. ill just end up with some standard G,D,C rythm you know:P
I'm in a thrashy/ metal band, and we just bash it out for a couple of hours until we get something we like.
also, i play drums. What I'm planning on doing is going to the studio and laying down some drum tracks, with no guitar in mind. then I'll show it to the rest of the band and we'll make some metal over it. I don't know if you're in a band or not though. if you are, you could try something like that.
Nirvana
Good Charlotte, Simple Plan
I was messing around with my guitar this weekend and found some cool chord patterns that I like. I found it wasn't hard to put a decent melody on top of that once I had a few progressions I liked.
-Zoom G2
Usually music first, lyrics later (if it needs lyrics). Occasionally if I get a lyrical idea that doesn't work with the music I currently have, I'll write out the lyrics and build music around it.
Sometimes lyrics come first, sometimes a melody comes first. If I come up with some good lyrics, I try to figure out a melody for them and go from there to build the rest of the song. If I come up with a melody, then I just fill it in with some words that usually just easily come to me and again, go from there.
Gear:
Black Ibanez RG170
Line 6 Spider II 112
Genius Mind
I don't write any of the lyrics for my band, but I do write all the music. Usually, when I'm feeling in the zone, I'll noodle around with some ideas that I've stumbled into while practicing on other days, then show them to the band.
just about every way you can think of here, sometimes i'll just be jamming and it'll sound cool so i'll remember it and usually end up splicing it w/ another riff that would go well w/ it.... sometimes i'll lay down a nice fast stompin beat and just jam some stuff over it till i find something i like then go from there and sometimes i just sit down and hear music in my head and pick out the chords and start from there.
I write my guitar and lyrics completely separately of each other, at any given time. Then, I mix and match, trying to get the mood, until something good comes out of it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I write out the basic scale on paper of what i'm going to choose as my 'key' sort of.

Then I pick out a set of chords that sound decent and put those as my rhythem, then use maybe 1 of those chords i picked out and 2 of the others that i didn't use before, to make a seperate 'break rhythem' portion.

Then I come up with a strum / single note picking type of sequence part.

Then I record myself just playing those rhythmes for 10 minutes or something long enough.

Then I pick some scales and record myself improving/messing around with riff ideas for lead parts. Pick out what I like, and utilize those.

Then I repeate the improving process again, except this time for a solo, trying to work out what I think sounds best.

Then I slap it all together...problem is i've never had a bass player/drummer before, so from that point i'm done, heh.
I usually hear it in my head, work it out until it sounds good and then figure out what key im in. then ill think of other parts to go along with it. the lyrics always come last for me
Mr. Allan wrote:
This is like saying you're not allowed to jerk off over the girl next door unless you have a license and written permission from her. Which, of course, is bullsh*t
Usually, I'm just fiddling around with chords and I'm like "Hey, that sounds cool."
Or I'm just soloing around and I'm like "Hey, that sounds cool."

I don't even mess with lyrics.
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
Quote by Sweetbabyjezuz
I write out the basic scale on paper of what i'm going to choose as my 'key' sort of.

Then I pick out a set of chords that sound decent and put those as my rhythem, then use maybe 1 of those chords i picked out and 2 of the others that i didn't use before, to make a seperate 'break rhythem' portion.

Then I come up with a strum / single note picking type of sequence part.

Then I record myself just playing those rhythmes for 10 minutes or something long enough.

Then I pick some scales and record myself improving/messing around with riff ideas for lead parts. Pick out what I like, and utilize those.

Then I repeate the improving process again, except this time for a solo, trying to work out what I think sounds best.

Then I slap it all together...problem is i've never had a bass player/drummer before, so from that point i'm done, heh.

Nice method, seems pretty time consuming and automated though. But it seems like it would work which I'm sure it does.
Gear:
Black Ibanez RG170
Line 6 Spider II 112
Genius Mind
usually for me it starts off with an idea of some sort, and then i start to envision the song as a whole. I makeup lyrics melodies and everything at the same time, allthewhile trying to think of other instruments/tracks whatever to fit in. then once ive got something solid down sometimes i play around with it, addthings to it, change stuff around, add new sounds, think up a bridge/solo etc. and jsut go with it.
what i do now is just sit down and play around with diffrent chords{ and it hep to know all you key and what are in them}. like last noght i made a rifff thing with the chords E D A and i turned then into barre chords ans it sound better. so just mess about
I usually start with a simple riff or something, then I'll get out a pen and paper, write the progression down, pick a scale, and pick a key. I'll experiment with the progression a bit, perhaps adding a b7, or removing a 3, or whatever.
So then all those little cool riffs or chord progressions I have may be of use after all.... right on.

Sounds like there's a good variety of ways to do it, awesome.
-Zoom G2