Page 1 of 12
bobjewell87
Cause = time
874 IQ
what are these guys like? not sure whether i should check them out
EmO_RuleZ!!
I cry in the corner
276 IQ
They're pretty much amazing. In the Aeroplane Under The Sea is an amazing album.
Quote by emomints
Green day have to be one of the biggest emo bands in the world (and I still love them). Which do you lot think is there most emo song 'coz me and my friend can't decide lol
i_strum_i_drum
398 IQ
Original and enjoyable. NMH is pretty difficult to describe, so I'd suggest snatching one of their many mp3's they have floating around (i.e. "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" or "Holland 1945").
slinks
Bastard in a Basket
443 IQ
They're a really good band that I've heard too little from. I've never picked up In an Aeroplane Over the Sea and I really should.
Neil Aran
145 IQ
In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is absolutely amazing. I can't get enough of it. I haven't listened to much of their other stuff, but "Song Against Sex" is also excellent.
we have sound
Saint
1,623 IQ

"Oh Comely" = best NMH song I've heard.

Just because the freaking lyrics are so beautiful.

love is a dog from hell.

pumpkins_rule
UG's Rap crusader
1,404 IQ
That entire album is perfect. Not a single bad song on it. I've heard a few songs off of Avery Island and they're really good too.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

public_witness
Banned
190 IQ
Quote by GuitarSlinger
They're pretty much amazing. In the Aeroplane Under The Sea is an amazing album.

that ones ok, submarine over the sky is better.
on a more serious note, aeroplane is the only one i have, and its cool. i havent spent enough time with. folk and noise is a clever combo. (and then a horns section! these guys are crazy!)
Doctor Robert
21 IQ
I think In the Aeroplane Under The Sea is kinda overrated, but I still like it.

My favourite track would probably be The King of Carrot Flowers part 1.
Nefro
43 IQ
Don't get single songs.

Get the entire album of In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
Alarming Carrot
21 IQ
I have two of their albums. Anybody else wondering how people on an indie forum not know who Neutral Milk Hotel is? WTF? Two-Headed Boy is their best, by the way.
Zeke5000
UG Board King
271 IQ
In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is definately one of the greatest albums ever. Every song is great, my favorites are the title track, two headed boy, and communist daughter.
I felt like a monster reincarnation of Horatio Alger......a man on the move and just sick enough to be totally confident.

Quote by Hexagram
Oh and Zeke, i find you to be over-rated
v-e-l-o-u-r-i-a
10 IQ
Another vote for two headed boy... Though i've only really listened to in an aeroplane.
No Cheap Thrill!
sydbarrettsaves
love is simple
281 IQ
neutral milk hotel is only one of the most influential indie bands ever. when are we going to start discussing more contemporary artists? everything is always old, old, old, old, old, old news.
music...

get your head out from those mags
and websites who try to shape your style
take a risk just for yourself
and wade into the deep end of the ocean
public_witness
Banned
190 IQ
Quote by sydbarrettsaves
neutral milk hotel is only one of the most influential indie bands ever. when are we going to start discussing more contemporary artists? everything is always old, old, old, old, old, old news.

theres plenty of threads on the arctic monkeys and subways.
jk.
Jonte_T
UG's Polarbears Spokesman
309 IQ
In the Aeroplane.. is absolutely one of my favs. Just started listening to Avery Island and I think I'll be able to appreciate that one to after some practice
Yeah I got busted so I used my one phonecall to dedicate a song for you on the radio - Jens Lekman
ando3300
246 IQ
I'd best describe Neutral Milk Hotel as a punk-folk band drawing heavily from both spectrums. In the Aeroplane Over the Sea is a magnificent album full of acoustic strumming, nostalgic lyrics, and a concept based upon the diary of Anne Frank. Seriously, it's amazing.
John Frusciante Club Member #7
I had an ex who used to listen to them all the time. They're pretty good but for a listen but nothing more than that.
YoungPilgrim
UG's Photographer
44 IQ
The Decemberists covered "Communist Daughter" when I saw them. Just saying. The Decemberists take a lot of pages from the NMH playbook.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
anti
Turn On/Tune In/Drop Out
1,049 IQ
i think neutral milk hotel are amazing.
the album aeroplane over the sea is one of the most adicting albums.
peace & chemicals
*Truly Ninja*
it's yours
1,648 IQ
not to be an indie snob, (well, actually, yes I am) but their rarities and unreleased songs are their very best. There are 3 essential ones:

"My Dreamgirl Don't Exist"
"Engine"
"Glue" (originally by the gerbils)

and some more awesome ones:
"Little Birds" (live, never released)
"Love you more than life"
"sailing through"
"everything is"

I think this stuff totally eclipses their admittedly stellar albums.
bobjewell87
Cause = time
874 IQ
Quote by bobjewell87
what are these guys like? not sure whether i should check them out

god i must have posted this a while a go.

really like Aeroplane Under The Sea, two headed boy part 2 = brilliant
phobos
Ed
327 IQ
much in the Elephant Six collective are amazing...NMH included. i need to relisten to a In an Aeroplane Over the Sea again.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)

Misfits and AC/DC Covers + original recordings (jazz/punk, hardcore, "shredish").
http://advancederror.dmusic.com
inner sense
The Bells Greeted Them
65 IQ
yeah jeff mangum and this band are awesome. mangum also did a live show which was released on cd titled live at jittery joes. it is all neutral milk songs and is really worth listening to if you are a fan. check out a live video of the band playing song against sex on you tube...man they are great.
The best song will never get sung
The best life never leaves your lungs
So good, you won't ever know
I never hear it on the radio
Can't hear it on the radio
loopdeloop
I'm a loser baby
465 IQ
oh comely and sailing through yeah
So turn off the lights cause it's night on the Sun....

if anything i say comes acrosss as pretentious, tell me what an asshole i am.
sufjanstheman11
10 IQ
Neutral Milk Hotels Amazin I love them theyre lyrics in "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" are amazing. like Holland 1945 "The only girl ive ever loved was born with roses in her eyes but then they buried her alive one evening nineteen fourty five." thats not just music, it's poetry.
2xG
Live it.
392 IQ
ITAOTS is one of my favourite albums ever.

What I never understood was why people complain about Mangum's voice. It's one of the most passionate and beautiful voices in music. NMH is all about his voice, and without it, the songs lose all their magic. Like that Mountain Goats cover of Two-headed boy(I think). Nobody should ever cover that song.
imburningstar4
73 IQ
Quote by *Truly Ninja*
not to be an indie snob, (well, actually, yes I am) but their rarities and unreleased songs are their very best. There are 3 essential ones:

"My Dreamgirl Don't Exist"
"Engine"
"Glue" (originally by the gerbils)

and some more awesome ones:
"Little Birds" (live, never released)
"Love you more than life"
"sailing through"
"everything is"

I think this stuff totally eclipses their admittedly stellar albums.

what about "she did a lot of acid?"
Quote by sonixon
I'll say.
They were originally going make Claudio a part of Mount Rushmore, but the material was not tough enough to sculpt his hair out of.

Quote by thefinalcut
"St. Anger" was done in Drop Z tuning, they were trying to "out heavy" Slipknot.
Godzilla1969
UG's Pretentious Asshole
546 IQ
In the Aeroplane Over the Sea is one of the saddest albums I've ever heard, in a good, brilliant way. One of my fav albums of all time.
Patches McGee
UG Fanatic
42 IQ
Tremendous band.

Aeroplane has been getting a lot of paly lately.

Dunno why, but I like it.

IndigoBanana
Daydreamer
18 IQ
what an album In the Aeroplane Over the Sea is. the lyrics, especially those of the title track, are just unbelievably good. they are so cathartic and honest and oh, just pretty incredible in general.
Look into his eyes and you will see
Why everything is quiet
And nothing's free
VoodooChild15
Day-Man
1,673 IQ
Aeroplane is one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard in my life. Jeff Mangum is one of the best lyricists ever.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Knife2aGunFight
Good Morning Captain
761 IQ
I love NMH so much.
Jesse Wants To Die Just As Much As You Want Him Dead