Page 2 of 12
holland, 1945 always makes me dance. i just love the intro as simple as it is.
Nowadays all the songs on the radio, all drive me crazy.
Quote by 2xG
ITAOTS is one of my favourite albums ever.

What I never understood was why people complain about Mangum's voice. It's one of the most passionate and beautiful voices in music. NMH is all about his voice, and without it, the songs lose all their magic. Like that Mountain Goats cover of Two-headed boy(I think). Nobody should ever cover that song.

i think jeff magnums voice is heavily heavily influenced my john darnielle of the mountain goats. not to say i don't like neutral milk hotel, i just think his voice is very similar.
Quote by *Truly Ninja*
So I just wrote an essay about the first time I heard "Holland, 1945."

Anybody care to read it?

Yeah, that was cool.

Everytime I hear "Holland, 1945" it takes me to a special place. That song's bridge is essentially magic in music form.
Neutral Milk Hotel rawks my sawks.

Everytime I hear The King of Carrot Flowers pt.1, my happyness increases tenfold.
Wade in the water, child.
so it's agreed then that "holland, 1945" rocks the panties off of nuns?
Nowadays all the songs on the radio, all drive me crazy.
"gardenhead/leave Me Alone" Is Amazing. It Is One The First Album, But To Really Experience The Song Listen To The Live At Jittery Joe's Version.
The best song will never get sung
The best life never leaves your lungs
So good, you won't ever know
I never hear it on the radio
Can't hear it on the radio
These guys are awesome. My friend is a sorta/hippie and got me into them. I love them, they're such a great alternative to metal and punk.
Get off my lawn.
Quote by HawkaLuigi
they're such a great alternative to metal and punk.

what isn't though?

Aeroplane is a cd that every dedicated music fan discovers at some point in his crate digging, and it always stands out. Pretty much perfect album
Quote by AWA
Neutral Milk Hotel rawks my sawks.

Everytime I hear The King of Carrot Flowers pt.1, my happyness increases tenfold.

everytime i hear it, it makes me sad but it has that two sided thing going, it's happy and sad at the same time, the whole album really, well that's what i make of it

Best album of the past decade.

Possibly in the history of music.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by inner sense
"gardenhead/leave Me Alone" Is Amazing. It Is One The First Album, But To Really Experience The Song Listen To The Live At Jittery Joe's Version.

+3
Quote by sonixon
I'll say.
They were originally going make Claudio a part of Mount Rushmore, but the material was not tough enough to sculpt his hair out of.

Quote by thefinalcut
"St. Anger" was done in Drop Z tuning, they were trying to "out heavy" Slipknot.
Was just thinking of posting a new thread, but saw this one and the other four locked ones and decided against it. :x

Anyway, I forgot how unbelievably amazing In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is. Like, I think a lot of albums are good but overrated...but this one deserves every last bit of credit it gets.
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join

last.fm
I guess by my name, it's pretty obvious what my favorite NMH song is.

Also, I went and saw Manchester Orchestra, Kevin Devine & the Goddamn Band, and Brand New last night. During Kevin's set EVERYONE came onstage and played Holland, 1945. It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen.
I think it's safe to say that every indie kid likes these people. It's, like, an unwritten rule.

And yes, for the record, I do like them. They're actually one of the semi-few folksy bands that I dig.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
I have previously heard good thigns about this band, but never listened to them until now and I must say that I quite enjoy what I've heard (on the myspace). I want to go out and pick up an album tommorrow, but I don't think I'll have the opportunity tomorrow - perhaps another day sometime soon I will though.

Which album do you recommend?
Quote by Tsunoyukami
I have previously heard good thigns about this band, but never listened to them until now and I must say that I quite enjoy what I've heard (on the myspace). I want to go out and pick up an album tommorrow, but I don't think I'll have the opportunity tomorrow - perhaps another day sometime soon I will though.

Which album do you recommend?

I suppose you could've gathered this by reading through the thread but it's obviously In an Aeroplane Over the Sea.

Jeff Mangum is probably the greatest songwriter ever, and I really mean that. I just can't see anyone who appreciates music disliking that album.

Edit:

Two-Headed Boy Pt. 2 is the best song off the album most definitely.
Last edited by NGD1313 at May 6, 2007,
I think pretty much every track on ITAOTS had a stint as my #1 track on the album.

Right now, I'm torn between Oh Comely, Two-Headed boy, and Two-Headed boy pt.2.

By the way anyone else notice the guy saying 'Holy s hit!' at the end of Oh Comely?
Fender F-25 / Yamaha Pacifica 112 / Cort MR-710F 12-string
Last.fm
Quote by NGD1313
I suppose you could've gathered this by reading through the thread but it's obviously In an Aeroplane Over the Sea.

Jeff Mangum is probably the greatest songwriter ever, and I really mean that. I just can't see anyone who appreciates music disliking that album.

Edit:

Two-Headed Boy Pt. 2 is the best song off the album most definitely.

Well how does On Avery Island compare to In the Airplane Over the Sea? Perhaps I'll purchase both (if I do have enough money at the time).

Also, are there any bands with similar music to Neutral Milk Hotel? I'm interested in checking out more now.
Quote by Tsunoyukami
Well how does On Avery Island compare to In the Airplane Over the Sea? Perhaps I'll purchase both (if I do have enough money at the time).

Also, are there any bands with similar music to Neutral Milk Hotel? I'm interested in checking out more now.

Avery Island is genius as well. I've found you can't really fail when it comes to NMH. Unfortunately, their genius is hard to emulate so I'm yet to find a band very similar to them.
Quote by 2xG
I think pretty much every track on ITAOTS had a stint as my #1 track on the album.

Right now, I'm torn between Oh Comely, Two-Headed boy, and Two-Headed boy pt.2.

By the way anyone else notice the guy saying 'Holy s hit!' at the end of Oh Comely?

yeah i noticed that too.

i was listening to ITAOTS last nite while driving and for the entire thing i was on the verge of crying
it was like damn
Quote by Tsunoyukami

i think they sound a lot like the mountain goats. but their both unique in their own ways. i'd have to say that i like neutral milk hotel more, even if the mountain goats were here first.
They're alright. In The Aeroplane is good for what it is I suppose. I just don't look as deeply into as everyone else is. Simple, quirky songs.

The number of 16 year old girl/boys who have gotten into them because of Jesse Lacey is staggering. Well, not neccesarily the band, just the one song he covered (Two Headed Boy). They don't give a shit about the album.

How long until this thread turns into a Jesse Lacey dick-suckathon? We'll see..........
Poor advice.
Quote by Doolittle
i hate Jesse Lacey
but i know people worship him, i will never know why

Kids worship him because he's the closest thing to an "Indie" figure that most kids have. And he's trying his hardest to gain all of this Indie cred in an attempt to bury his past as an "Emo" frontman by playing obscure covers.

But that's an entirely different subject. This thread is about Neutral Milk Hotel, so let's keep it that way....
Poor advice.
I love Brand New and I'm not an indie poseur at all. (well maybe a little...)
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Yeaaaah, definitely the only reason I downloaded this CD was cuz of Lacey... but the CD is great! my favourite song would have to be Communist Daughter at the moment... it's so abstract and calc... but probably also one of the saddest songs ever written. I don't think many other writers could pull off a trumpet solo so well. Jeff is a genius.
Oh, I'll break them down, no mercy shown,
Heaven knows, it's got to be this time,
Watching her, these things she said,
The times she cried,
Too frail to wake this time.
Hmmmmm.

All this talk about NMH inspired me to crack out the Aeroplane vinyl I have. Haven't listened to it in a year because of a large surface crack, but some how it's working fine right now.

This album was better than I remembered.
Poor advice.
uh oh
looks like the work of jesse lacey we have on our hands...

sort of on topic, i want nothing more than to start a fuzz folk band
Hmmmm. I have an acoustic set on the 26th and on further listen to NHM I think I'm going to play Holland 1945. It's insanely simple and catchy.

A good drinking song.
Poor advice.
Holland 1945 is a great song.

I love how rich and big In the Aeroplane... sounds, even though there's so little to it. It's just great.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by stellar_legs
Hmmmm. I have an acoustic set on the 26th and on further listen to NHM I think I'm going to play Holland 1945. It's insanely simple and catchy.

A good drinking song.

I'm thinking the drumming in that song is integral to it's greatness. But yeah pretty much all of their song are like that.

Speaking of that song, I notice when people cover it they use open chords, but it sounds alot more like he uses barre, and I think it sounds better that way..
Jesse Wants To Die Just As Much As You Want Him Dead
I think the synthy bits like in Communist Daughter and the end of King of Carrot Flowers Pt. 1 really add to the album.
Wade in the water, child.
Quote by Knife2aGunFight
I'm thinking the drumming in that song is integral to it's greatness. But yeah pretty much all of their song are like that.

The drumming on the whole album is really spectacular.

Stellar, I've come to the conclusion that you have some kind of personal vendetta against Lacey because he's turning the indie scene whores who drool all over him onto the bands you love.
Only heard In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, amazing album. My fave song is probobly King of Carrot Flowers Part 1, just think its fantastic.
The obligatory gear list: Gibson SG standard,Maverick F-1,Epiphone Sheraton,'68 reissuse Jap Strat, Orange Rocker 30 and various pedals.
Electro Harmonix Users Guild #30