Page 4 of 12
Quote by larry jones
Wow, talk about a haunting voice.

Mangum is one of the most talented indie personalitites of alltime.

At the end of "Oh Comely", you can hear one of the band members shout "SH*T" after Mangum performs the whole song on the first take, first attempt.

I think it was Apples in the Stereo's frontman, and he yells "Holy ****"
Quote by julio1987
I think it was Apples in the Stereo's frontman, and he yells "Holy ****"

I noticed that once at night. I would have too.
Jizz is where it is
I wonder if the horns were done at the same time, but judging by some live shows, they probably weren't
Jizz is where it is
To the previous couple posts (I know this reply is rather late):

Apparently when Jeff stepped in the rest of the guys in the studio just thought he was doing a mic check - but he sang the entire song in one go and then the guy yells "Holy ****!" at the end from the other room. As far as I know the horns were done on a second take over the one take of the guitar and vocals.

On Friday night our band played a show and we covered King of Carrot Flowers (Pts. 1, 2 and 3) and it actually turned out alright (not anywhere near even half as good as when Jeff does it, but seeing as that is impossible...).

I still have not found a single copy of On Avery Island in any store that I've checked and I'm rather desperate to find (and own) a copy. Also, my valiant attempts to spread NMH to my friends is a rather tedious process but I ahve infected a few of them.
Quote by Tsunoyukami

I still have not found a single copy of On Avery Island in any store that I've checked and I'm rather desperate to find (and own) a copy. Also, my valiant attempts to spread NMH to my friends is a rather tedious process but I ahve infected a few of them.

Amazon has one I believe. Unless you don't have a debit card or anything.

But Neutral Milk Hotel rules.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator
Amazon has one I believe. Unless you don't have a debit card or anything.

But Neutral Milk Hotel rules.

I know that some online places have copies but, unfortunately, I don't have a credit card. Even more unfortunately, neither of my parents have credit cards.

However, I will agree that Neutral Milk Hotel rules.
Before she went to uni she used to talk about NMH all thetime but i never really took much notice and i never actually listened to them (i was too busy being blown away by Let Go by Nada Surf, which my sister also showed me actually) but i found ITAOTS on my itunes and started listening to it and i was truly amazed.
ITAOTS has to be one of the best albums i've ever heard and the song In The Aeoroplane Over the Sea one of the best songs i've ever heard. I haven't heard anything from On Avery Island but i might get it soon.

Anyway, NMH FTW!
Who's she? And I've been oppsessed with NMH as of late.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
What do you guys think of Jeff's voice? I personally think it could use some work, especially on the high notes, it sounds like his trying to sing out of his range on a few songs and it makes it seems like he's out of tune, ex: two headed boy pt. 1 (the catching signals part).
oh and dont get me wrong, i love NMH, one of my main inspirations actually
Last edited by cubs at Feb 21, 2008,
Personally I think Jeff's voice is absolutely amazing. How good a singer is isn't solely determined by singing technique. His voice is unique and (like UMadeMeRealise pointed out) he puts a lot of emotion and passion into his singing, which more than makes up for his technical flaws.
Quote by cubs
What do you guys think of Jeff's voice? I personally think it could use some work, especially on the high notes, it sounds like his trying to sing out of his range on a few songs and it makes it seems like he's out of tune, ex: two headed boy pt. 1 (the catching signals part).
oh and dont get me wrong, i love NMH, one of my main inspirations actually

I think Jeff's voice is absolutely amazing. I know what you mean about the high notes, but the way he sings those high notes is one of the key elements to Neutral Milk Hotels absolutely amazing sound.
I agree completeley..
I don't know many other singers with a voice similar...Theres just something warm about his voice to me..without it there songs would be ruined.
Quote by Seány
I agree completeley..
I don't know many other singers with a voice similar...Theres just something warm about his voice to me..without it there songs would be ruined.

actually, I heard a band recently where his voice was strangely similar but I can't remember the name of the band.
Hmm... don't know. Conor Oberst's voice is pretty crappy, but he manages to pull it off. His excellent lyrics help as well. Jeff on the other hand... lyrics are still great, but his voice gets annoying, especially the high notes.
Oh, I'll break them down, no mercy shown,
Heaven knows, it's got to be this time,
Watching her, these things she said,
The times she cried,
Too frail to wake this time.
I agree that Conor Oberst can not really "sing" properly or anything, but he does make it sound good. However, I still don't have anything wrong with hearing Jeff sing the high notes. The way he sings those notes just has such intensity and emotion that it does work.

Another singer who can't really "sing" but still manages to sound amazing is Win Butler. All three of these guys sound great when they sing even though they aren't very good singers per say.

I think that Jeff's lyrics are absolutely enthralling. They are full of thought-provoking images and flavourful language.
I introduce my friend to NMH over the weekend, he loves em
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
i have always love this band
but ive been listening to them more latley
and everytime listen i can't stop thinking how smart these guys are
it blows my mind
These guys have a song or two that appeal to me. I think they're "On an Aeroplane" and "Two Headed Boy". Apart from that, I find these guys vastly overrated. Everyone talks about how amazing their second album is, and when I listened I just didn't hear it. It sounded like someones acoustic demos with badly recorded guitars over the top.

I really don't get it. One mediocre album and they're seen as gods? Really?
Quote by gallagher2006
These guys have a song or two that appeal to me. I think they're "On an Aeroplane" and "Two Headed Boy". Apart from that, I find these guys vastly overrated. Everyone talks about how amazing their second album is, and when I listened I just didn't hear it. It sounded like someones acoustic demos with badly recorded guitars over the top.

I really don't get it. One mediocre album and they're seen as gods? Really?

I really, really like In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, but if you don't like it that's cool. I agree that it may just sound like someones acoustic demos at times, but they are all terrific songs.

Maybe you need to give them another couple listens, or maybe you just don't like them. Either way, it's all cool.

On another note, I have nearly memorized all the words to Oh Comely. I am terrible at memorizing lyrics so for me this is a great feat.
Got my hands on "On Avery Island" finally...

Not nearly as good, but still has some great songs.
Ibanez SZ720FM
Ibanez GSZ120
VOX AD50VT
BOSS DF-2 Super Distortion & Feedbacker
Quote by Tsunoyukami
On another note, I have nearly memorized all the words to Oh Comely. I am terrible at memorizing lyrics so for me this is a great feat.

Funny story about that song.

I covered it once at an acoustic set I did at a bar in Chicago.
I was drunk out of my fucking head, more so than usual, and I played a few of my own songs, then launched into Oh Comely.
I've only dabbled with the song, trying to memorize lyrics, but when I played it that time I nailed every lyric and it was this great moment of drunken connection with the song.

Before I played it I think I yelled something like, "This is a song about being a teenager at Bayside High." Along those lines.

Jesus....alcohol.
Poor advice.
Neutral Milk Hotel would be my favorite band of all time if they did more than 2 real LPs.

Anyone have Magnum's solo/live CD? I do, but totally wouldn't if I didn't work at a record store.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by Bmm386
I just found a cover of Two Headed Boy by The Mountain Goats.

Awesome.

Holy crap. That seems like it would be excellent. (I mean, if John Darnielle can make "The Sign" sound awesome, I wouldn't think he'd have much trouble with Two Headed Boy)
The Two Headed Boy Cover by John Darnielle is just awesome, he's one of the few people that could do at least some justice to a NMH cover. But then again, I'm a huge fan of TMG so my opinion is biased...

And Live at Jittery Joe's is an awesome album, it has tons of my NMH favorites. Engine, Naomi, I Will Bury You in Time, A Baby for Pree, pretty much the entire album is great. I highly recommend obtaining it.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Is it possible for anyone to have a NMH conversation without Jesse popping up?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but it's always inevitable.
Poor advice.
Quote by stellar_legs
Is it possible for anyone to have a NMH conversation without Jesse popping up?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but it's always inevitable.
I know, but I had never heard any of his NMH covers
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Eh, forgiveable I guess.

I honestly don't think they're great.
And his covers of "Trailer Trash" are terrible. He puts nothing into it.
Poor advice.
Quote by sre9981
The Two Headed Boy Cover by John Darnielle is just awesome, he's one of the few people that could do at least some justice to a NMH cover. But then again, I'm a huge fan of TMG so my opinion is biased...

And Live at Jittery Joe's is an awesome album, it has tons of my NMH favorites. Engine, Naomi, I Will Bury You in Time, A Baby for Pree, pretty much the entire album is great. I highly recommend obtaining it.

I found another live album pressed by my local record store. I'd assume it's just as good.