Page 5 of 12
love the two-headed boy songs, that whole CD is actually great. don't know the word to describe it, very effervescent.
i love covering nmh songs. the past 2 open mics i played at i had 3 of my friends take the corner with me and we hammered out some ITAOTS
Quote by cubs
What do you guys think of Jeff's voice? I personally think it could use some work, especially on the high notes, it sounds like his trying to sing out of his range on a few songs and it makes it seems like he's out of tune, ex: two headed boy pt. 1 (the catching signals part).
oh and dont get me wrong, i love NMH, one of my main inspirations actually

That part on Two Headed Boy Pt. 1 is actually what I like about it the most. It's raw and reminds me that you don't have to be perfect to be amazing.

But I FINALLY got my copy of ITAOTS a couple days ago and it's awesome.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Brilliant, brilliant band.

If you can get hold of it, download the May 5th 1997 show. Best NMH show I've heard (early versions of Oh Comely, In The Aeroplane etc. + Gardenhead, Naomi and the not-on-any-studio-records Engine).
So I listened to On Avery Island after months of it just sitting there and I loved it.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
i just downloaded hype city soundtrack.
definitely the best demo, i think its right up there with the albums.
Jizz is where it is
Quote by newyorkdolls138
i just downloaded hype city soundtrack.
definitely the best demo, i think its right up there with the albums.

The version of Gardenhead/Leave Me Alone from there is really cool. Soooo fuzzy.
Oh Comely has always been one of my favorite NMH tracks, sends a chill down the spine. Then the trumpet comes in like some kind of Mexican standoff or something.
my rig:
fender telecaster
mxr phase 90
fender frontman 25r
I really cant stand oh comely, it makes me feel uncomfortable for some reason, its a good song, but I dont know, theres this weird vibe it has, it sends shivers down my spine. I actually liked it a lot a while back but know I cant listen to it. Its a good song though.
Quote by cubs
I really cant stand oh comely, it makes me feel uncomfortable for some reason, its a good song, but I dont know, theres this weird vibe it has, it sends shivers down my spine. I actually liked it a lot a while back but know I cant listen to it. Its a good song though.

i love when a song makes you uncomfortable. it is such an amazing and awkward feeling.
I love Oh Comely.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Oh Comely remains my favourite Neutral Milk Hotel tune.

My friend found a copy of On Avery Island and I borrowed it. My favourite tracks are "A Baby for Pree" and "Naomi". I can't really choose which one I like more. The rest of the album is also excellent but those two tracks stood out for me.

Also, to Bmm36, I enjoyed your cover of King of Carrot Flowers quite a bit. It had a nice relaxing sound to it. Good stuff.
Oh Comely is great. But Two Headed Boy Part 2 is amazing. My favourite, but i absolutely adore all their songs. I'm completely obsessed with the album, and their live performances. There's something haunting about Aeroplane, especially if you listen to it enough times. The lyrics are dark, and sad, and quick and witty, almost self contradictory in style, but they always dodge crashing at the last second, keeping me at the edge of the seat. I sometimes think about going to watch a movie, but i always end up sitting listening straight through "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" Ever since i've seen 'Into The Wild" every other movie has seemed trivial, and personally makes me feel hypocritical. So now i just listen through Aeroplane, over and over! I adore Neutral Milk Hotel. They're barely a band, they where hardly one to start with. They're like, physical manifestation of idealism.
I have grown to much prefer NMH's fuller stuff, for instance, my favorite tracks off of aeroplane would have to be Holland and Ghost. Avery Island is good, and their live shows are just fantastic.

(and anything that involves a synth or someone playing saw is ungodly awesome)
I used to think that NMH wre incredibly overrated due to my only album being On Avery Island. I was wrong.

Not much to say about them that hasn't already been said, except that I absoloutely love Two-Headed Boy and how the lo-fi recording slightly distorts the loud climaxes of the song. Fecking brilliant.
Yeah, the lo-fi recording adds a lot to the overall sound of Neutral Milk Hotel. I must say that I truly wish there was more live Neutral Milk Hotel on youtube. Yes, there are quite a few, but not enough to satisft my thirst to hear more.
I'm downloading the album right now. I heard a couple of songs last year and although I didn't really like Mangum's voice, the songwriting is just absolutely superb. One of the best I've heard so far.
Last edited by xxemo_kittyxx at Apr 27, 2008,
I did an open mic last night and ended with Two Headed Bot Pt. 2, which is my favorite song of all time.

I recieved a standing ovation. I also covered Fatalist Palmistry by Why? which helped me score the number of a very cute hipster girl.

Things are going well for the life of Randy, I tell ya...
Poor advice.
A few weeks ago my band was playing a small place and we stayed after our set to watch a few of the other bands to see what they were like. The band after us had a really good lead guitarist, but the songs were not very good as songs. The next band was a band that was really, really into Sum 41 and they wrote songs in a similar style to that of Simple Plan.

Luckily we suffered through those to acts to hear a girl and a guy play several indie songs. They played Two-Headed Boy, and admittedly, the boy was a terrible singer, but it made me happy that someone else in Toronto had even heard of Neutral Milk Hotel. They also played some other good indie tunes as well.

I'm not exactly sure how this relates to Neutral Milk Hotel. I just thought I'd like to say that it's awesome when you meet other people who know of (and enjoy) Neutral Milk Hotel.
Quote by stellar_legs
I did an open mic last night and ended with Two Headed Bot Pt. 2, which is my favorite song of all time.

I recieved a standing ovation. I also covered Fatalist Palmistry by Why? which helped me score the number of a very cute hipster girl.

Things are going well for the life of Randy, I tell ya...

fun fun.

what chords were you using for Fatalist Palmistry?
Quote by Leonheart
For your consideration:

Haha...what?

....I don't get it
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
I used to think that NMH wre incredibly overrated due to my only album being On Avery Island. I was wrong.

Not much to say about them that hasn't already been said, except that I absoloutely love Two-Headed Boy and how the lo-fi recording slightly distorts the loud climaxes of the song. Fecking brilliant.

hahahahaha. My irish friend came over last week, he cut his toe and he was shouting things like, "Holy Fecking Marry!" You guys curse cooler than anyone else in the entire world, with all your talk of Gob ****e! and up the nostrils and things of the sort. The real irish are fecking awesome.
Quote by uhh_me?
fun fun.

what chords were you using for Fatalist Palmistry?

Well, it was woodshedded out in about five minutes before I went on, and I'm terrible with chord names, but try:

B, A minor and G for the verses, and D, G, B and A minor for the Chorus.
I think that's what I did.
I could be wrong.
It was a drunken mistake anyway.
Poor advice.
So after some heavy listening to NMH tonight, I've decided that the album version of Gardenhead - Leave Me Alone needs to be sped up to the tempo they do it live for it to be the ultimate song
Quote by sre9981
So after some heavy listening to NMH tonight, I've decided that the album version of Gardenhead - Leave Me Alone needs to be sped up to the tempo they do it live for it to be the ultimate song

listen to the live at jittery joe's acoustic version. it is much better and faster tempo.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
Some of the full band live versions from the '98 tour kick ass. But often I think stuff from that tour is too heavy, too fast for the songs.
I'm collecting some of their early demos/b-sides right now. It's really amazing how even their b-sides are pure genius.
At the moment I'm currently tabbing out the horn parts to all the tunes on In the Aeroplane Over the Sea because it seems that UG is lacking the horn parts to all of their songs. I've done King of Carrot Flowers Pt. 1,2 and 3 and am going to work my way through the album.

I'll be submitting them, but I don't know whether or not they'll be accepted since their horn tabs.
I finally started my vinyl collection, and the first purchase was In the Aeroplane Over the Sea.