Page 15 of 15
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
I finally downloaded the album. I like it a lot.
ArcticDude
May Contain Nuts.
586 IQ
Not too keen on the new album. He doesn't sound as Mancunian, and it's a little too Mumford & Sons for my liking
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
It's a lot better than the steaming pile of shit that was Humbug. It reminds me a bit of Blur and The Smiths, so it's coo.
andyscoot
UG Senior Member
1,744 IQ
Quote by ArcticDude
Not too keen on the new album. He doesn't sound as Mancunian, and it's a little too Mumford & Sons for my liking

1. He isn't Manchunian to start with
2. Wat?
stef123
2 wrongs make a fight
1,375 IQ
Quote by ArcticDude

He's from Yorkshire

And this sounds NOTHING like M&S. It's quite poppy, but it sure ain't Folk!

I have just heard the new album. It's pretty good. Much better than Humbug. The first album is still my favourite though.
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
lildudenikki
This DJ rocks your ass
467 IQ
break a mirror.
roll the dice,
run with scissors.
through a chip pan firefight.
go into business with a grizzly bear
but just dont sit down cause i moved your chair.

the album. suck it and see. rocks
mikenaza
98 IQ
Quote by kryptonite22
I don't see why this should be fans only? Surely anyone who has an opinin on them should be allowed to post, so long as its vaguely intelligible.

I'm going to be the first to openly say I dislike them. As a band, there's nothing majorly wrong with them, but I don't like the hype - let's be honest, it's highly unjustified - over what is really just YET another indie/garage/folk/rock band. Do we need one more? The lyrics aren't as fantastic as everyone says they are. I read some article in a tabloid where they were like "Arctic Monkeys lyrics are better than Morrissey, he could never have come up with a gem like__________" (the so-called 'gem' was actually pretty cringeworthy and not really that clever/witty/intelligent/worthwhile). But if you like them I guess you like them and that's your opinin. It just seems like too many people love them because the NME says so.

And I certianly don't agree that a) they're so high on the Reading/Leeds bill (after one majorly overrated album - this is worse than the time The Darkness headlined above The Offspring), and b) they moaned because they wanted to be headlining. How arrogant.

Does NME really have that big of an influence on our taste? I mean I got into the Arctic Monkeys when I was like 16 because my friend introduced me to them. I keep up with music and where a band is going but I have never read an NME article or review.
turncoat60%
Errday i'm Russellin'
234 IQ
actually the lyrics on their debut are pretty damn good. its cool if you dont like them but i dont see the point of bitching about how they are overhyped
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
Quote by turncoat60%
actually the lyrics on their debut are pretty damn good. its cool if you dont like them but i dont see the point of bitching about how they are overhyped
Seriously, I love the lyrics to the debut.

Upon further inspection of this band, the debut is actually the only album I like. It's the only one that has stuck with me all this time. It's damn good, though.
turncoat60%
Errday i'm Russellin'
234 IQ
Whatever People Say... is ****in awesome. i like Favorite Worst Nightmare as well but humbug was lame. at least their latest is an improvement.
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
Favourite Worst Nightmare certainly isn't bad, but Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not is damn good.
barden1069
UG's ONLY Guitarist
1,083 IQ
I feel like I may be the only person who wants another Humbug. By far my favorite album of theirs.
Le Gear
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Ibanez AM93
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange AD30
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H
'72 Fender Vibrosonic Reverb

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
coolinboard
276 IQ
I liked the idea of Humbug but i don't think it was executed right. A lot of energy was lost as well as just raw emotion... I understand they were going for a darker sound but the whole album seemed really monotone to me.

Nothing will ever beat their first album in my opinion
coolinboard
276 IQ
Quote by turncoat60%
holy shit these guys are actually coming to pittsburgh!

No way! i live in pittsburgh too, I'm definitely gonna try to score tickets
87Stang
322 IQ
"Bigger boys..." is my jam i cant wait to see them august 2nd!!!
I hope they play their old stuff not sure how i feel about the new stuff havent bought the album yet.
breadstick
Stop that. Now.
2,150 IQ
I just came into this thread for the first time after borrowing Humbug from a friend. I don't see the reason for the hate around it on this last page. I think it's a great album.

Pretty Visitors, Dangerous Animals, Potion Approaching, Crying Lightening and My propeller are all ace songs in my opinion.

I'm exploring their previous albums atm.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
turncoat60%
Errday i'm Russellin'
234 IQ
Quote by 87Stang
"Bigger boys..." is my jam i cant wait to see them august 2nd!!!
I hope they play their old stuff not sure how i feel about the new stuff havent bought the album yet.

ive been hearing that theyre playing a good mix of new and old
eazy-c
Angus McHighlands
559 IQ
When I saw them earlier this month the setlist was pretty spot on. Wouldn't have changed anything.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
youeyehat
Comfortable Liar
21 IQ
Quote by barden1069
I feel like I may be the only person who wants another Humbug. By far my favorite album of theirs.

ditto
Call me old fashioned but I prefer 'rock music' that has electric guitars.
Sladey
Another Bedroom Guitarist
507 IQ
Yeah their setlists are a good mix of the albums - they don't play much of Humbug live, I guess they realise it didn't go down so well with their existing fans, although it may have earned them some new ones.

Nothing will ever beat From the Ritz to the Rubble. Brilliant track.
'93
1,110 IQ
i just bought favourite worst nightmare, and listening made me appreciate suck it and see more
howlinwolf
Banned
11 IQ
Quote by '93
i just bought favourite worst nightmare, and listening made me appreciate suck it and see more

I'm like this as well. Although I enjoy their first two albums I feel like the later two will be lifetime listens while the earlier stuff will seep through the cracks as my youth fades
turncoat60%
Errday i'm Russellin'
234 IQ
these guys put on a great show tonight. alex looking ****in sexy with his elvis haircut and they played pretty much everything i wanted to hear, except mardy bum and conerstone. smith westerns were lame as hell tho. so boring and had the stage presence of a high school band.

/shitty bb pics
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
That's cool that you got to see them. I've not seen Alex with his Elvis haircut.

Just looked it up. Meh, I don't like it as much as some of his other hair. It looks like his hairstyles have decreased in quality at the same right as his music. BA-ZING!

How'd the new songs sound live?
turncoat60%
Errday i'm Russellin'
234 IQ
elvisturner/SIAS>grungeturner/humbug

i would say black treacle was the best of the new songs. not a fan of brick by brick but it was actually really really good live. the others sounded good too but all of the whatever songs were pretty much the highlight of the set, as expected.