Page 4 of 15
I just bought their album last month. One of the main reasons is that i avoid hypes like the plague, but i think it was also because in an early article in a magazine i subscribe to, they were being compared to the Kaiser Chiefs... which i don't like at all.

But it turns out they sound nothing like the Kaiser Chiefs and they're actually pretty awesome. Some of the songs sound a bit similar, but there isn't a single bad song on the album and highlights like Mardy Bum and When The Sun Goes Down really surprised me. They're catchy, well-written songs and unlike the guy above me i think their singer has a very pleasant vocal timbre.
Quote by LKW
I just bought their album last month. One of the main reasons is that i avoid hypes like the plague, but i think it was also because in an early article in a magazine i subscribe to, they were being compared to the Kaiser Chiefs... which i don't like at all.

But it turns out they sound nothing like the Kaiser Chiefs and they're actually pretty awesome. Some of the songs sound a bit similar, but there isn't a single bad song on the album and highlights like Mardy Bum and When The Sun Goes Down really surprised me. They're catchy, well-written songs and unlike the guy above me i think their singer has a very pleasant vocal timbre.

Make sure you give every song your full attention, beautys like Still Take You Home, You Probably Couldn't See For The Lights... and Red Light Indicates Doors are Secure etc.. don't get the praise they deserve, ad their so funt to play on guitar as well
MIA 1979 Fender Strat
Epi LP Standard
Squier Strat

Tanglewood

Laney TF300
Fender Frontman 15G

Zoom G1
Quote by NOFX182
Make sure you give every song your full attention, beautys like Still Take You Home, You Probably Couldn't See For The Lights... and Red Light Indicates Doors are Secure etc.. don't get the praise they deserve, ad their so funt to play on guitar as well

Yup. Totally agree. The Monkeys are great. xD

EDIT: Btw, NOFX182, and anyone here who likes them, check out my sig.
Got too deep but - how deep is too deep?

FOUNDER OF THE ARCTIC MONKEYS FAN CLUB PM me to join.
please don't call me that, it was a 12 year old mistake.

Topher will do

Which AM fan club are you founder of? The main one or what? lol
MIA 1979 Fender Strat
Epi LP Standard
Squier Strat

Tanglewood

Laney TF300
Fender Frontman 15G

Zoom G1
Quote by NOFX182
please don't call me that, it was a 12 year old mistake.

Topher will do

Which AM fan club are you founder of? The main one or what? lol

Lol, no problem, Topher it is then.
Well, I dunno if it's the main AM club, it's the only one I know about, lol. We have the very pathetic number of 2 members in total. So, for the Arctics' sake, someone please join.

hmm, sounds appealing lol
MIA 1979 Fender Strat
Epi LP Standard
Squier Strat

Tanglewood

Laney TF300
Fender Frontman 15G

Zoom G1
aye there amazing i would have to say a certain romance or mardy bum and i bet you look actually there all amazing mabey space invaders
ma gitar playin has effectud ma typin
Are they working on anything new?
I don't even care to shake these zipper blues...
^i hope
Quote by zippidyduda
Damn, you are the only august 06'er I know that has a brain! Congratulations!

Quote by SpedGangster
Ohgosh I have to agree with your sig. you really are the august 06er with a brain!

what can i say?

I'm the 100th Spartan
Their new album comes out in the new year unfortunately.

I say unfortunately because they will burn out at this rate and they haven't had enough time to write a good follow up to WPSIATWIN. Writing a second album is hard and should never be rushed.
MIA 1979 Fender Strat
Epi LP Standard
Squier Strat

Tanglewood

Laney TF300
Fender Frontman 15G

Zoom G1
I think some of their songs are catchy and fun but I really don't understand what's so unique/ great about them. To me they just sound like a more laddish verison of the libertines. They aren't doing anything that hasn't been done before them by The Strokes/ Libertines/ The Jam. Anyway, that's just my opinion. They're still a fun band.
i just like them because they are so catchy and fun. if i wanna listen to something weird or different i'll listen to muse or the mars volta. but if i wanna listen to catchy fun songs i'll stick with AM

plus their lyrics are pretty decent
Quote by zippidyduda
Damn, you are the only august 06'er I know that has a brain! Congratulations!

Quote by SpedGangster
Ohgosh I have to agree with your sig. you really are the august 06er with a brain!

what can i say?

I'm the 100th Spartan
View from the afternoon, im sorry it has to be it describes my life (which yeah is quite sad)
And i agree with catchy and fun, thats a great thing for a band to be if they can!
Anyone hear that Matt has said the new album is nearly done? Anyone else excited and looking forward to hearing some new material?

Who thinks it's going to be better than their debut? Why?
Looking forward to the next album (actually I cant wait)...but if its better than the first one...I would be surprised cause the first one is a CLASSIC.
I liked them at first, but I don't know if I overplayed them or what, but I'm not that bothered about them anymore.
"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"
Well here in Canada they recevie nearly no radio play, but I absolutley love them. I'm expecting the new album to be great, but it probably won't be as good as the debut.

Alex is an amazing lyricist. Agree?
It pisses me off when people say they hate them so much because they're overrated and NME loves them. That isn't a reason to dislike them. I personally got into them and saw them live before their album was released and I was totally unaware of how popular they were becoming. I think they've got some good songs and although it's potentially a back handed compliment I'll say it anyway: 'They're good at what they do'. By this I mean that their music isn't exactly ground breaking but they do it very well. As for favourite song, that's a tough one. I quite liked A Certain Romance, but I haven't heard the album for a while. I often play their songs though! They're good for a beginner guitarist to get into.
Quote by Shwa123
It pisses me off when people say they hate them so much because they're overrated and NME loves them. That isn't a reason to dislike them. I personally got into them and saw them live before their album was released and I was totally unaware of how popular they were becoming. I think they've got some good songs and although it's potentially a back handed compliment I'll say it anyway: 'They're good at what they do'. By this I mean that their music isn't exactly ground breaking but they do it very well. As for favourite song, that's a tough one. I quite liked A Certain Romance, but I haven't heard the album for a while. I often play their songs though! They're good for a beginner guitarist to get into.

Agreed, I think they aren't revolutionary or anything, but I do agree that they write amazing hooks and they're songs are incredibly catchy and danceable too. Alex's' (Alex possesive) lyrics defiantley suit the music and he makes some spectacular rhymes.

I also agree that they're a great band to learn from as a beginner guitarist (expecially because they use a lot of basic techniques that are necessary to master). However, sometimes I find beginners have difficulties with strumming patterns.
Quote by Tsunoyukami
Well here in Canada they recevie nearly no radio play, but I absolutley love them. I'm expecting the new album to be great, but it probably won't be as good as the debut.

Alex is an amazing lyricist. Agree?

Not really. Most of the time it resembles a mixture of the script from 'Grumpy Old Men' and a News of the World columnist.

Musically it's a bit drab too.
What has happened to them. They were everywhere now are no-where. If they do bring out a new album I dont think it will do half as well as their debut as the hype around them has faded and they will never get another gimic like what they had with myspace.
-----(\__/)-----
------(0--0)-----
-----=\0/=-----

FIGHT THE BAN

SAVE OUR LAMBS
I think their problem is that they are just to simple and obvious, and so interest fades quickly. It happened to most peope I know, we all listened to those demos loads, and hardly anyone I know bothered to get the album.
Quote by Lost_Rose
What has happened to them. They were everywhere now are no-where.

You are thinking that because you live in USA, the country where most people live in a huge bubble (I said MOST people, I'm not saying that you're all like that) and dont know anything about whats going on outside. The Arctic Monkeys are HUGE in England, their fame didnt go away as soon as they finished the American tour!

Quote by Lost_Rose
If they do bring out a new album I dont think it will do half as well as their debut as the hype around them has faded and they will never get another gimic like what they had with myspace.

In fact, their new album's coming out on March. They've already performed a bunch of gigs introducing their new songs and the general opinion is that they're REALLY good, maybe even better than the old ones!
And finally, they did NOT get their fame from MySpace. That's some stupid tale that journalists made up. Yes, their songs were indeed posted over the Internet, but that's not what made them succesful. Alex has always stated that they used to give copies of their demos for free after each gig, or even that they gave some to their friends, asking them to "accidentally" forget them on a bus seat, for example, so that people found them and listened to them. After that, what really made them famous was their music. They could have had a hundred songs posted all over MySpace, but if their music wasnt so good, their album would definetely not have been the best sold debut album in England.
Finished now.

Arctic Monkeys fame vanished for me the moment that all my mates in Sheffield said that Turner had vanished up his own arse, and he promptly kicked some of his mates out of the band if I remember rightly.

Way to stay grounded, douchebag.
Quote by Velvet_Craig
Not really. Most of the time it resembles a mixture of the script from 'Grumpy Old Men' and a News of the World columnist.

Have you actually read lyrics for "From the Ritz to the Rubble"? You can't possibly say that Al's not a good lyricist after that!

As for the metaphores, I really have no comments.

Tezhall, nobody really knows why Andy Nicholson left the band, so I don't know what your mates told you, but you can't accuse Al Turner of "promptly kicking him out"!

Quote by ArgentinianGirl
Have you actually read lyrics for "From the Ritz to the Rubble"? You can't possibly say that Al's not a good lyricist after that!

Tezhall, nobody really knows why Andy Nicholson left the band, so I don't know what your mates told you, but you can't accuse Al Turner of "promptly kicking him out"!

*applause*

Though I thoguht the new album was coming in April? But March? Even better!
Quote by Tsunoyukami
*applause*

Though I thoguht the new album was coming in April? But March? Even better!

My mistake! The album's coming out on April - the single, Brianstorm, is coming out on March!

Quote by ArgentinianGirl

He's not a good lyricist in my opinion. He's a good story teller, who then shoe-horns the story into a catchy riff. Not what I consider to be talented songsmithery.

My mate told me that when at a house party in Sheffield, shortly after the release of IBTYLGOTD, that he was shouting off about how he was better than all the people who he used to go to school with etc, and how he was this big superstar. That irks me, and seems very indicative of someone who has lost touch with his roots. Also was fairly common knowledge amongst my mate's social circle that he booted his mates out of the band in an effort to improve the areas that they covered - I have to say that my utter lack of interest in the band provoked only passing interest in these two (admittedly hearsay) comments, but still, the indication is there that the man's a **** of the highest order to sit neatly alongside Brandon Flowers and Jonny Borrell.
I like them a lot. I really put off listening to them because I heard one of their songs a few months back and I didn't really like it plus they were so hyped up that I just figured they woulda be kinda boring and watered down like the majority of mainstream music these days but once I got their debut album I was blown away, really good stuff. I'm a huge fan of the lyrics and the extremely catchy riffs. I also find the singer's voice fairly pleasant. My favorite song of the album would probably be From The Ritz To The Rubble.
Quote by tezhall
He's not a good lyricist in my opinion. He's a good story teller, who then shoe-horns the story into a catchy riff. Not what I consider to be talented songsmithery.

My mate told me that when at a house party in Sheffield, shortly after the release of IBTYLGOTD, that he was shouting off about how he was better than all the people who he used to go to school with etc, and how he was this big superstar. That irks me, and seems very indicative of someone who has lost touch with his roots. Also was fairly common knowledge amongst my mate's social circle that he booted his mates out of the band in an effort to improve the areas that they covered - I have to say that my utter lack of interest in the band provoked only passing interest in these two (admittedly hearsay) comments, but still, the indication is there that the man's a **** of the highest order to sit neatly alongside Brandon Flowers and Jonny Borrell.

Well I've never heard of him being rude and cocky like that, but is he really is then my respect for him has diminished.

However, I still find him to be a good lyricist as well as story-teller. I think he puts the two together with great skill and the entire band as a whole can definatley craft catchy, danceable songs.

I'll admit he's not my favourite lyricist, and he isn't the most amazing guitarist but I still think he's a very talented young man and he still has time to grow and change his approach to these things.
And I was wrong again! The single is ALSO coming out on April, I checked the site lol.

As for Alex, I've seen most of the interviews and he's not cocky at all. They do say a lot of things just for the laugh, too! Maybe you shouldn't always believe all the rumours you hear.

...so let me get this right...when he's pissed up in a room with my mates, being a dick, I should not believe that as it may not be accurate...whe he's being interviewed on TV, thats "the real person".

Now, call me cynical, but....
Let me ask you, where are you from?

How come you've got so many mates in Sheffield knowing so much about what he does?

And, finally, let's get this right. Wtf does it matter if Alex is cocky or arrogant? They are a freaking band, not model citizens! If you're going to explain why you don't like them, then base your opinion on their music, not on what they do or what they say!

I live in Exeter now, but I used to live in Yorkshire up until August last year. My friends in Sheffield stem from the fact that of the people I went to college with, about 4 went to uni in Sheffield, and then my ex-girlfriends friends all lived in Sheffield as well, I guess all in I know about 10 people who live there. And because some of them were college students in and around Sheffield, and some of them were uni students in and around Sheffield, working in venues like the Roundhouse and the Leadmill, they often ended up at after parties and suchlike with bands. And at one such after party was the afore mentioned dickheadedness, which was relayed to me the following week.

My opinion does not need to be based on how you make decisions. I'm not asking you to change your thoughts on them, simply defending my own right to dislike them, and in the same way as you are stating why you are a fan (which is fine), I am stating the reasons why I am not (which is also fine).

Personally, my opinion of a band is not just about the music, it's about their attitude to the fans, to the media, to the public, to the other band members, and to other bands within the industry. There's a lot more to it before I start giving them praise. And for me personally, the Arctic Monkeys don't tick a lot of boxes on that list.
I never said that I don't respect your opinion, it's totally fine by me if you don't like them. But I am saying that you are basing your opinion on accusations of which you don't have any proof at all. And I will also add that Arctic Monkeys does not equal Al Turner, there are four members in the band. So even IF what your mates told you about him was true, it still doesn't give you the right to criticize "their attitude", as if they were all one person.
The end, I'm sick of this.

Quote by tezhall
Personally, my opinion of a band is not just about the music, it's about their attitude to the fans, to the media, to the public, to the other band members, and to other bands within the industry. There's a lot more to it before I start giving them praise. And for me personally, the Arctic Monkeys don't tick a lot of boxes on that list.

That's fair enough to me, and I can see why you dislike them and such. I just ask you remember that everyone can be a little pissy sometimes, so perhaps the event you are speaking of was one of his 'cranky' days or summat.

It matters not though, cause Im still excited that there's a new album out soon.

I thought the single was in March though? Maybe it was pushed back to April...

I hope the album is early April >.<
The album's coming out on April 23rd =(, the single on April 16th.
http://www.arcticmonkeys.com/news-040207-album-single-details.html

For me it's even worse, 'cause over here it won't be coming out until three months later or something, and my parents are not exactly pro-Internet so they probably won't let me buy it online *rolls eyes*. Ah well, that's life =(

Have you heard the new songs? They're sooooooooo cool!

...what? Where's Argentina (I'm terrible at geography >.<? I'm in Canada and I believe that the new album comes out the day after the Europe release here.

And no, I haven't heard any of the new songs.