I just need some advice on how to practice.

I have a metronome and wana learn to shred. I've been playing a year now.

What should I do? Just play chromatics up and down to the metronome?
Play scales and learn them, I'd start with the minor penatonic, minor, major and all of its modes, Harmonic minor, and some exotic ones.
go get the steve vai 10 hour workout from the tab section and use some of those exercises and some you make yourself to create a daily routine.......practice slow with a metronome making every note perfect
Quote by Freepower
Well, what do you want to improve? Find out the perfect way to do that, and practice that.

And check out the speed building thread in the archives.

Well I want to learn to shred. So I guess I start by getting good at legato? I can already alt pick

Btw, is blues a good place to start? I've learned the blues minor scale all over the fretboard and I'm playing along to a backing track with it.
Practice Paganini's 5th Caprice, it's a pretty cool song that a lot of neo-classical guitarists play (Steve Vai, Yngwie, Jason Becker, etc.) There was an old Guitar World colum that had Yngwie teaching how to play it in A minor. It starts up at the bottom of the fret board and has a bunch of big stretches that will help to build up your finger strength.

Download "Eugene's Trick Bag" by Steve Vai, the bulk of that song is actually made up of the 5th caprice.

Might as well label Slayer and At The Gates as "metalcore" while you're at it...
Quote by Megatallica
Well I want to learn to shred. So I guess I start by getting good at legato? I can already alt pick

Btw, is blues a good place to start? I've learned the blues minor scale all over the fretboard and I'm playing along to a backing track with it.

You can play "shred" style in pretty much any genre, so learn whatever you like. "shred" just means to play fast, you can incorporate into whatever you want. So if you like the blues, go for it.
Yea i guess so!

IS it true though, that practing scales etc. slow to a metronome at say 112 bpm is good for shred? Like it gets ur coordination and dexterity better?
Quote by Megatallica
Yea i guess so!

IS it true though, that practing scales etc. slow to a metronome at say 112 bpm is good for shred? Like it gets ur coordination and dexterity better?

Like 40bpm (crotchets or minims), if at any tempo at all. You have to be able to program PERFECT technique into your hands. Can you really pay attention to everything, being absolutely perfect, at 112bpm? I cant...
Books you should get:

1) Guitar Principles www.guitarprinciples.com This one is mandatory.
2) Speed Mechanics for lead guitar. Good isolation exercices for left and right hands
3) Shred Guitar. Good source of riffs with some theory and nice appendix of scales
4) Sheets of Sound. Monster exercises that can be used to expand your riffage.

Don't think you just need to "master" some advanced techniques in order to
"shred". It all starts with knowing how to practice and "mastering" your
fundamentals.
Anyone ever find that they can descend (from high e to low E) much cleaner and faster than ascend the fretboard?

I do, and it's really annoying.
Quote by Megatallica
Anyone ever find that they can descend (from high e to low E) much cleaner and faster than ascend the fretboard?

I have that problem too, could be because I'm used to doing hammer-ons when running from low E to high E.

Might as well label Slayer and At The Gates as "metalcore" while you're at it...
Ive been playing new rock, classic rock and blues and now i want to take a gander in shred. Can someone please tell me where to get some shred licks.

James :P
I have a (probably pretty stupid) question ... say I practice a certain sixteenth-note run (say a scale) and can get them up to a respectable speed, can I play any sixteenth note run that way, or do I have to practice the other sixteenth-note run the same way I practiced the scale?
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
aprescott_27:
Not quite as stupid of a question as you might think... maybe just a little

If you can get the one run you're practicing up to speed, you will of course have to practice others as well, but the more of those runs you perfect, the easier it will be to master the others, because you will have built up a bit more strength and control in your hands.

foxrider:
if you're looking for shred licks, try checking out Vai's 10-hour lesson. i believe it's in the tabs section of the site. also worth checking out: Petrucci's Rock Discipline. that's got some monster licks as well.

edit: and i ascend much quicker than i descend. my pull-offs aren't nearly as strong as my hammer-ons
Quote by aprescott_27
I have a (probably pretty stupid) question ... say I practice a certain sixteenth-note run (say a scale) and can get them up to a respectable speed, can I play any sixteenth note run that way, or do I have to practice the other sixteenth-note run the same way I practiced the scale?

The rhythm will be exactly the same, but the fingering and picking may be different.

But if your fundamentals (the basic building blocks of your playing) are good enough, then it shouldnt be too hard to change between relatively simple 16th note runs.
Quote by Megatallica

Practise descending more, then