Hey i've saved up some money to buy a rack but don't know much about them like what brands to go by or how much to spend on a certain thing. Can anybody list what they have in theirs and which parts are useful . Thanks it would be greatly appreciated
Do you have anything to put in it?
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
im asking what to put in it. I've heard alot of mixed rthings about what to put in it and want to know what kind of maximizers, compressers, and processors to put in.
Well, you can put what ever you want in it. So what do want or need or what ever?
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Definatley a power conditioner. That's the first thing I'd throw in a rack. Furman Power Conditioners.
do you still need a power or preamp?
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

Quote by thetearsibleed
do you still need a power or preamp?

That depends if you're going to use your current head and jsut have the rack for effects and such or if you want to have your entire rig consisting of rack stuff
rule number 1:

DONT THROW A CRAPLOAD OF PROCESSORS IN YOUR RACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It kills tone like nothing. The more wiring and processing your tone goes through, the more it's drained.

If you want a rack for everything, get something with the following:

- A preamp that's versatile
- A poweramp that's loud enough (hell a 20/20 will be fine) and reliable and not TOO heavy
- A power conditioner
- If you like effects, an effects processor and a MIDI controller for it.
- Cables. GET GOOD CABLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There. that's all you need. no maximizers, no EQs, no compressors (unless it's in that 1 space processor). those are all usually made for full range PA systems and they just kill guitar sound.

In my rack I have:

-Furman Power Conditioner
-ENGL 530 Preamp (SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOD!!!)
-Peavey Classic 60/60 (can get a bit fizzy sometimes...probablly gonna trade for either a VHT or a Mesa 20/20 soon)
-Art Multiverb III. (i dont like it. I'm not an effects guy at all. i'm selling this with my MIDI floorboard soon and just snagging a PODxT Live to run in stereo with my ENGL)
so if i already have a head ( i do ) i dont need to buy a preamp like your ENGL 530? Sorry i dont really know much about this but i gotta learn sometime
Quote by TheDarkestNight
so if i already have a head ( i do ) i dont need to buy a preamp like your ENGL 530? Sorry i dont really know much about this but i gotta learn sometime

Nope. if you're going just for effects all you really need is about a 2 space rack (conditioner + effects module)

On the other hand if you dont like your head you can get awesome preamps for cheap

As for effects, these are all wonderful processors:

Rocktron Intellifex
Rocktron Replifex
TC Electronic G Major
TC Electronic G Force

There's a lexicon model but i dont know the name of it that does great guitar effects. Also TC Electronic has a newer one coming out that's more knob-based than menu based like the G Major/G Force and might be a little cheaper.
Alright thanks. I've been looking into an ENGL preamp like the one you have ( other people on differnet forums have said very good things about it aswell) becase my head isnt all that great and i see ENGL preamps like yours for 5-800 dollars on ebay.

Thanks for your help
So you want to run a rack pre-amp through your head?

And don't get a 2-space. You're going to want more stuff in the future. Also, I don't know why SeraphSlaughter is so against more things in racks - there are plenty of people with 10 or more units in their rack, and it sounds killer. Sure, if you're not rich, and you're running a whole bunch of crappy rack mounts, it won't sound good. . .
Quote by Mascot
So you want to run a rack pre-amp through your head?

And don't get a 2-space. You're going to want more stuff in the future. Also, I don't know why SeraphSlaughter is so against more things in racks - there are plenty of people with 10 or more units in their rack, and it sounds killer. Sure, if you're not rich, and you're running a whole bunch of crappy rack mounts, it won't sound good. . .

I was wondering the same thing. They make compressors, limiters, maximizers, gates and EQ's to make your tone sound BETTER. I understand running too much stuff will drain your tone, but some things are better to have than to not have. I think a compressor and gate are essential. They clean up your sound so much. I can't stand to hear guys playing cranked half stacks with the gain on 10 plugged straight into the head. The peaks and feedback just get annoying way too fast.
Guitars
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Fender Standard Strat (w SD JB Humbucker in bridge)
Squire Strat
Amps
Marshall TSL 60 Head
1960A Cab
Line 6 Spider II 112
Rack
Korg DT-1 Tuner
DBX Compressor
BBE Sonic Maximizer
so what types of things would you guys ( people dissagreing with slaughter) suggest to put in a rack. ex : noisegates, maximizers, Eq's and other stuff.

and whats the purpose of a power conditioner?
i run a few rack items, conditioner, lexicon proccesor, feedback destroyer, compressor, and a tuner, i like it, o yea we also have all our bands wireless systems on it, long cables are a good idea if your going to be stupid like us, but i use alot of planet waves cables on it and that wasnt cheap
Racks are the ultimate answer to a custom and personalized sound. There's so much you can do with it.

There's a few different ways you can "work" a rack...

*Have rack for processors, etc... run into amp head.
*Have rack for preamps, processors, etc... run into amp head.
*Have rack for preamps, processors, etc... run into racked poweramp.
*Have rack for preamps... run into racked poweramp.

(obviously there's probably more combinations, but those are probably the most commonly used configurations)

I prefer a fully racked system. In one rack case, you can have more than one preamp, more than one poweramp, and a variety of processors (IE, EQs, compressors, noise gates, effects, etc). Basically everything but your cab is one unit... much easier for transport (except racks tend to weigh a lot, well over 100 lbs & such).

As to what to get and look into... you need to decide what you're looking to do with your setup. If you don't like your current amp, you may mind it worthwhile to pursue a rack preamp & poweramp.

Anyway... some worthwhile products to consider for racks...

Preamps
*Mesa Boogie Tri-Axis
*Mesa Boogie Recto Pre
*Engl E-530
*Engl E-580
*Bogner Fish
*Soldano (there are many models)

Poweramps
*Mesa Boogie

Processors

I have to head back to school, lol... I'll finish this up and add more info later.
well it depends how much money you have

i would try to stay away from G Major, they kill tone and are unreliable as crap (bad build quality), not matter how popular they are (although i like most TC things, especially the 2290 and 1210)

intellifex and replifex are good, but for reverbs and delays intelliverb takes them both out, but not as easy to find

and for those who say too much in the rack can kill tone, you CAN be right

1. it depends what you have in it
2. if all the gear is beautiful and beautiful sounding and treats tone well, then get a buffer smart ass

mesa boogie poweramps get very hot (especially the 20/20, but all do get somewhat hot), but the 20/20 gets so hot you'd need to leave space above and below for cooling purposes

a power conditioner makes sure all your equipment is under proper power regulation (safety and performance wise) and makes sure that under the power circumstances you dont lose tone because of crappy power - unless you have probably 4-8 grounded outlets all in one place (power strips are a no-no for major rack equipment)

furman or carvin for sure (carvin is GREAT for the money, and has some extra features like the led flashlight on the back for looking at all your stuff)

www.rocksolidamps.com

for the e530, 480 dollars new - excellent preamp

for less money a used ADA can go as little as 150 to as much as 250 for all tube preamp with tons of features and VERY, VERY decent tone (especially considering)

a good poweramp could run you back atleast a grand, but if you go used (old Peavey Classic poweramps come cheap), or the carvin all tube guitar preamp (500 dollars new, sounds beautiful) you could get a much better bang for your buck

those rocktron processors can go for as little as 150 and as much as 250 on ebay n such, which is great for an all pro effect rack application, also look into the Roland RSP550, great for your cashs' sake

you can always get a rack used or at GC or whatever, just look for the best deal on a sturdy platform, and dont settle to a 2 space or a 4 space, 4 space would be the smallest to ever get really considering you'll always have something to put in it really

i mean, you could have 5 empty spaces and use it to store your cables or something, or put a shelf in or drawers (like a pedal drawer or storage drawer)

i mean, racks can do anything - if you want a new amp and sound, get rid of your old head and get a pre/power amp and some effects, maybe the ISP rack noise kill, power conditioner, put your pedals up in a pedal drawer, if you want to use midi then get a floorboard and an interface and get cracking - a rack is a never ending growth

im not a fan of mesa products, but they are fine - the e530 is a good buy, but comparitively i was a little upset with the bogner fish preamp (compared to their amps and other preamps) - the CAE 3+ or 3+/SE would make a nice preamp (especially through a VHT power section), as would any soldano preamp

im going to go ahead and say that the best quality poweramp are probably VHT, as they are mine and many others' favorites due to scalability, dependability, and sheer tone

whatever you need you could put it in a rack, it's good for anything

why dont you help US out a little and tell us what you want! (besides "i want a rack")

and yeah a lot of people put tuners in racks, their effects/processors, EQs, preamps, poweramps, small amps, wahs/whammys, midi interfaces, pedals, hell, pick holders, who cares? it's just a big...storage thingy...

do you want it just for effects? or do you want your whole rig up there? or just for a preamp? or just for a poweramp?

you could keep your old amp and put a new preamp in the return, or keep the preamp of the head and use a different poweramp from the send, all can be done in a rack

or you could throw all your effects up there, or just use it for storage, whatever
-Mike
Last edited by HopePoisoned at May 9, 2006,
read the entire thread.i'm thinking on starting my own rack.and since you seem to know much about it......i need advice....
i'm thinking on mesa as power amp 2:50 or 2:90 don't know the differences between them apart from power.....
as preamp...i'm really searching for info on engl preamps....read engl 530 sounds good....but only has one chan...i might need more...u know anything about models 580 and 570???...also i play mostly metal..death/trah/nu/alternative metal/grunge metal....thats why i think it will suit me...everyone says i has hell for disto....
effects and noise reducers/compressors...not yet thought about it....main purpose is getting great disto...
as cabs im thinking mesa...2 2x12.....not 4X12.......your thoughts about this are???
i got and ltd viper with active pickups.....

so......????............opinions........
Good advice from Hope Poisoned
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab