Hey, i've been playing a while and i've been watching various guitar players and the thumb position varies.

Sometimes they are positioned on the back off the neck veritcally, sometimes they are on the back of the neck diagonally and sometimes they are on the top or hanging over towards the strings, how do you know where to position your thumb when playing?
its a natural thing you get used to,everyone has their own way of playing.
i usually have my in the back of the neck unless im doing bends then its over the neck or if im doing some long stretch then its more diagonally.
Just do what ever feels comfortable mate...doesnt matter how other people play....just how you play and what feels correct to you
When playing anything with power chords I generally keep my thumb behind the neck to give it some support. When soloing my thumb comes up around the neck on the left side because it's not very useful in most applications. It's still good if you need to hit a note on the E string.
I use a few different positions. When playing most open chords, its more around the fretboard, and when barring chords, its usually in the middle for more support.
Quote by just_playmad!03
Just do what ever feels comfortable mate...doesnt matter how other people play....just how you play and what feels correct to you

That's just plain wrong and bad advice.

There's a good reason why you see 2 different thumb positions. Behind the neck
gives your fingers better reach and leverage. Probably you should use this position
for the most part, but it depends on what you're playing.

Thumb around the neck is generally used to support bends. If you see someone
with the thumb like this, they're generally doing a lot bends.