Hey everyone, after watching a vid. of a bass solo by Stu Hamm and watching the vid. of Jaco playing Portrait of Tracy about 30 times i've decided to make a solo based on harmonics. Except mine is only harmonics and nothing else. As you can guess i'm limited to only so many notes. I was just wondering if anybody had any techniques or oppinions on how to bring out the most of my bass's harmonics. While messing with my practice amps settings (i didn't feeling like going out to the garage and setting up my Ashdown) I found that cranking the mids made the harmonics sound much more clear. That is all I've been able to do. If anybody has any advice i would really appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
What do you mean, "only so many notes"? You actually have more harmonics than fretted notes.
Bumper is 100% correct.
Learn how to do pinched harmonics (AKA artificial harmonics). Both Jaco and Stu use them.

By learning these, you will be able to pull a harmonic from any location on your bass.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Well, actually you have a natural harmonic anywhere on any string too, pulling it off is just the hard part. And After that you have pinch harmonics, tapped harmonics, and artificial harmonics.
I've tried pinch harmonics before and I just can't seem to do it right. Does anybody or could anybody put up a sound clip of one done correctly? Or give me a song where it's done so I can hear it? On my bass the clearest harmonics are on the 4th, 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th, 15th, 17th, 19th, 22nd and the 24th. Not really more then i have on my fretboard. Basically all others are too weak to hear.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
If you have a neck pickup, make sure it's all the way up, with the neck somewhat down. If you have a tone knob, make sure it is full. Try boosting your high-mids as well. Also, I find that adjusting your action can have a great effect on your bass' ability to pronouce artificial harmonics.

With this, you should be able to voice some nice harmonics like 3.2.
The important thing here is knowing where a shedload of harmonics are so the notes you want are all within reach.
Quote by Bumper
Well, actually you have a natural harmonic anywhere on any string too, pulling it off is just the hard part. And After that you have pinch harmonics, tapped harmonics, and artificial harmonics.

pinch harmonics = artificial harmonics

but other than that, yeah.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
^Not really, an artificial harmonic is where you fret the string, and then rest a finger on the string 12 frets up, then you pluck the string and produce the artificial harmonic. A pinch harmonic is when you pluck the string and then immediatly graze the string with a finger to mute the fundamental and the overtone and only let a harmonic ring out.
Quote by Bob_The_Moose
Pinch harmonics are artifical (or natural if on an open string) harmonics played over the pickups with the picking hand. Think about it, what you are physically doing is the same. If you pinch the string over the 36th fret (from whichever fret you're on) area then you still get a bell like tone. And likewise, if you gently touch the 3rd fret area (as a natural harmonic), you can still get squeals.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=353523&highlight=artificial+harmonic
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Well my damn.....first I said that Steve Harris uses a pick, and now I screw up harmonics.....it must be "ruin Bumpers credibility week" or something...lol.
By the way bumper, da=the mic=microphone and kill=killer.....I couldn't resist. Anyway thanks for all the input guys. How should my action set to achieve the maximum amount of harmonics? Because right now it's awful high, which suits my playing style, especially in my band.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10