ok so for thumb or index finger mutes when your playing lets say a power chord with a root on the a string, how "well muted" should they sound? I seem to try as hard as i might in many different positions and angles but if you hit the e string there is still some kind of sound coming through....is that normal? But the thing is i can handle the little sounds on a low volume but it seems on high volumes you can really hear a muffled e string well...is that a big problem? The thing is i try not to hit it when strumming but if i do by accident it sounds really bad...
My old sig sucked
Just practice more. Start out slow and be sure to not hit the Low E string. Gradually increase your speed and you'll have no problem.

I used to do it as well, but as I've practiced more I find that I do it rarely now.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^its not that i do it a lot, its not that frequent....but im saying when it does happen the e string still sounds just kinda muffled....so is there really a point to muting other than the difference of a string ringing or being muffled since i guess it wont sound as long?
My old sig sucked
You just need to mute it a bit more. Then, if you hit it at all, it will just be an unnoticeable "thud" that's gone without causing much harm.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar