hey i have a few questions on 2 amps.

Marshall dsl 100- what gereres (sp?) is it good/made for? does the distorsion get muddy when cranked. is it versitile?

mesa dual recto- wht generes is it good/made for? is it hard to dial in a good sound because of the features. are the knobs sensitive? so an itty bitty turn on the gain knob could radically change your sound? is it versitile.

i will end up getting one of the amps by the end of summer. it's ether the dsl 100 with 1960 a cab and maybe a pedal or 2. or the dual rectifier with the maching mesa 4x12 cab (straight one)
Quote by geobarzac
hey i have a few questions on 2 amps.

Marshall dsl 100- what gereres (sp?) is it good/made for? does the distorsion get muddy when cranked. is it versitile?

mesa dual recto- wht generes is it good/made for? is it hard to dial in a good sound because of the features. are the knobs sensitive? so an itty bitty turn on the gain knob could radically change your sound? is it versitile.

i will end up getting one of the amps by the end of summer. it's ether the dsl 100 with 1960 a cab and maybe a pedal or 2. or the dual rectifier with the maching mesa 4x12 cab (straight one)

theyre actually made for any kind of music. they do all music very well.

the DSL probly does classic rock better. and the Dual does high gain madness really well.

but in the end. theyre COMPLETELY different amps. play both of them A LOT to be sure which sound is best for you.

IMO the Marshall's mids/high mids cut through a lot. and the Mesa's low end cuts through a lot. both have INSANE amounts of gain. more then you will ever need.

the Mesa's EQ is active. so its way different o dial in and get used to.

the Marshall is obviously going to sound best cranked. the distortion doesnt muddy up at all. i actually found the sound gets tighter as its cranked.

Some people are convinced that the Rectos sound muddy and too bassy. Uh hello...learn to EQ an amp retards!

I could go on for awhile about these amps. Theyre basically the "same things" but with completely different sounds.
which would be better for my chemical romance, avenged sevenfold, metallica, from first to last, yngiwe malmsteen, turbonegro, slipknot?
Quote by geobarzac
which would be better for my chemical romance, avenged sevenfold, metallica, from first to last, yngiwe malmsteen, turbonegro, slipknot?

Holy effin Hell lol

the Marshall. IMO

i LOVE the Dual Recto *as im getting one this summer*. but for those bands i say the Marshall.

FFTL kicks ass...and they use Orange amps. FYI. lol
Well man I am no expert on Marshall amps but I have a good history with their cabs, from what I understand (as with almost anything now) they were way better back in the day. Now I do own a dual recto and it is lovely. The EQ is wierd at first but once you figure out how the amp reacts to things then you can dial in some great tones. As far as versatility goes it is probably all you will really need. Clean tone isnt all that great but based off the bands you listed I doubt that is all that important. So I say go Recto but I suggest you get a Marshall 1960 AV cab to go with. Sounds much better than with the Recto cab, and cheaper too.
i didn't get a long time to try them and i can't fer a while. cause i live in wisconsin and i don't have anywhere to try these amps. but i went to new york and tried them. the gain on the marshall sounded unholey (in a good way.) and i herad some guy play unholey confessions on a tsl ( which i think is close to a dsl.)

one thisn i like on the mesa was the solo knob. i thought that was cool.

right now i'm leanin twards the marshall. i can get the dsl 100 with the 1960a cab for 1850. and maybe buy a pedal or two, or maybe even rplace the pickups. i know this fer shur

MCR-jcm 900
Metallica-dual recto or roadking
fftl-ornage
HIM-laney
avenged sevenfold-bogner
malmsteen-marshall.

so i'm pretty much lookin for an amp that can do it all.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
theyre actually made for any kind of music. they do all music very well.

the DSL probly does classic rock better. and the Dual does high gain madness really well.

but in the end. theyre COMPLETELY different amps. play both of them A LOT to be sure which sound is best for you.

IMO the Marshall's mids/high mids cut through a lot. and the Mesa's low end cuts through a lot. both have INSANE amounts of gain. more then you will ever need.

the Mesa's EQ is active. so its way different o dial in and get used to.

the Marshall is obviously going to sound best cranked. the distortion doesnt muddy up at all. i actually found the sound gets tighter as its cranked.

Some people are convinced that the Rectos sound muddy and too bassy. Uh hello...learn to EQ an amp retards!

I could go on for awhile about these amps. Theyre basically the "same things" but with completely different sounds.

enjoy.
o sorry. forgot about that. thanxs. how is the mesas eq different?

roght now i'm leanin towards the dsl 100 with 1960b cab. (i prefer straight cabs). but then again the 3rd channel may be helpful, along witht the solo knob

don't trivium use dsl's and the used 2
Last edited by geobarzac at May 8, 2006,
Quote by geobarzac
o sorry. forgot about that. thanxs

haha no problaimo. if theres anythin else you might need to know just holler.
ya there is. i was considering upgrading my guitar from a les pauil custom to the eliteist les paul custom. i'm not shur if theres much of a difference, if not then just ignore this.

but if i upgrade to a different i wiuld have to buy a cheper amp. maybe the dsl 401. the problem 1 speker and 40 watts. will that be enough to get over a drummer?

cause i was thinkin the dsl 401 fer 1100 then ether buy a 2x12 or 4x12 cab for it. will that help to get the sound louder? or should i just buy new pickups fer my guitar i have now?
Quote by geobarzac
ya there is. i was considering upgrading my guitar from a les pauil custom to the eliteist les paul custom. i'm not shur if theres much of a difference, if not then just ignore this.

but if i upgrade to a different i wiuld have to buy a cheper amp. maybe the dsl 401. the problem 1 speker and 40 watts. will that be enough to get over a drummer?

cause i was thinkin the dsl 401 fer 1100 then ether buy a 2x12 or 4x12 cab for it. will that help to get the sound louder? or should i just buy new pickups fer my guitar i have now?

i take it you have a Epi LP Custom. well, keep it, and go for the amp. the amp is what gives you 99% of your sound. a guitar is a minor footnote on these kind of amps.

you would be going from a good guitar and a KICKASS amp to a slightly better guitar and a pretty decent amp.

all IMO btw.
ok forget that, i think i will just replace the pickups. and get the half stack version. but i'm stuck between the dual rectifier and dsl. i wish i could try them more but can't. so i'm gonna have to bass them on review,s but from what i've heard.

the dsl- more distorsion then i'll ever need, clean wasn't all that great, almost sounded muddy.

mesa-loud as f**k. gave a sweet feed back wwhen my hand was off the strings. if i had more time i'm shur i could get some nice sounds outta ir. but i'm afraid that i woon't be able to get MCR, or fftl out of it. i know for a fact metallica outta it.

if i were to get the boogie what cab would i get for it?
^ i would either get a Mesa Traditional Recto cab or a Marshall 1960AV. both are loaded with V30 speakers so theyll both get basically the same sound. but from there on...its all personal preference.
if i got a cab fer the boogie 'd prolly go a mesa 4x12 straight cabnent.

what about a marshall jcm 900?

or how bought this whats the best halfstack fer punk/emo, hard rock, some metal. so the bands i listed. the price around 2500 american dollars but no more that 3000. so any amp below that price is fair game.
Quote by geobarzac
if i got a cab fer the boogie 'd prolly go a mesa 4x12 straight cabnent.

what about a marshall jcm 900?

or how bought this whats the best halfstack fer punk/emo, hard rock, some metal. so the bands i listed. the price around 2500 american dollars but no more that 3000. so any amp below that price is fair game.

why a straight cab for a halfstack??

i have a JCM900. its very similar to the 800.

anyways, heres the thing... the top/best half stacks for punk/emo, hard rock, and some metal are the Mesa Dual Recto/Traditional Recto cab and the Marshall DSL100/1960a cab.

we here cant really tell you much more because anything said would only be personall opinion...so try checkin out some sound samples or something...
just the look. i like the look of a straight cab better. but it's not nessecari. umm were can i get the soundclips from?
Quote by geobarzac
just the look. i like the look of a straight cab better. but it's not nessecari. umm were can i get the soundclips from?

the slant cab will sound MUCH better in a half stack.

idk where to find clips...im too lazy to look. google it?
so it's ethier a mesa dual recto with maching slant cab.
or dsl 100 with 1960av cab, 30 foot monster cable, seymour duncan hotrodded humbucker set with gold covers.

both come out to be about the same price.

so if the dsl will give me what i want i will go with that. but if it's the mesa i'll go wit dat. if it helps here are the songs i play so here the tones i will neeed.

MCR-helena,i'm not okay, ghost of you, you don't know what the do to guys like us in prison.

metallica- die die my darling, whiskey in the jar, so what, seek and destroy, sanitarium

fftl-note to self, the latest plague

and then some trivium, turbonegro, cluch
so far heres what i've come up with. dsl-mcr,trivium,turbonegro,metallica. yngwie. mesa-a7x,metallica,fftl.

so right now i'm leanin toards the dsl
ya, if i go dsl will the dsl 50 be enough? or should i go for the 100. i don't play gigs yet but will be soon (like next year or two)
go with the 50. it has to be unbelievably loud for a 100 to overdrive.
Quote by Tiamat
dont buy an amp, amps are just stupid.

Quote by t2russo
oiled... i like the feel of oiled wood in my hands... wow, that was homosexual...