Ok. I've been playing for almost three years now, and I'm an average player. I don't suck, but I'm no visionary. I don't really learn new songs a lot anymore, I just sit there and screw around. I feel like I'm stuck in a rut. My guitar teacher shows me scales and stuff, but what else can I work on so that I improve as both a player and a riff-writer?
Member #7 of the "...Still Waiting for the Zombie Holocaust" club. PM Smokey Amp to join.

Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all
Radiate, recognize one silent call
As we all form one dark flame...
Incinerate!
learn to play songs that are almost too difficult for you to play, then once you master it youve obviously improved. going from not physically capable of playing a song to having it mastered means you progressed thats what im doing right now. first i was like ok master of puppets sounds pretty hard ( ive only been playing for like 1.5 years) so i learned the whole thing ( sans solo) at 85% speed, then increased it gradually, now i can play through it sitting down, now my next step is to be able to play it standing up ( kinda hard for me idk why) then finally im gonna learn the solo
MY GEAR :
2000 Jackson SL-3 Soloist
Roland Cube 60
Boss Metal Zone
Dunlop 535q Wah
Shitty DS-1 (AKA Teh Pap3rWeIgHt)

Quote by Nole07
i have like 30 bucks to spend. and i wanna know from first hand experience does it make pp's huge? thanks
Sounds good. Oh, and is learning the solo in Stairway to Heaven really all it's cracked up to be? I mean, I learned the first two licks last night but I wonder if I should keep going.
Member #7 of the "...Still Waiting for the Zombie Holocaust" club. PM Smokey Amp to join.

Incinerate!
Do you learn full songs or just licks and solos?

There's nothing gonna' frustrate you more than only being able to play licks. Yeah learn something challenging and more importantly learn something you like. There's nothing like finally being able to nail a good tune.
Quote by jimtaka
i'd say your guitar is out of tune, or you are accidentally muting strings that you aren't trying to, or your right hand isn't strumming at the same time that your left hand is fretting, or you could be reading the tab upside down...
Actually, I usually only learn the main riff of a song, but when I really love a song, I learn it in it's entirety... Iron Man, Girl's Not Grey, & Welcome Home are the most recent songs that I learned completely. But I should stop only focusing on riffs, I guess

Incinerate!
For practice i don't play scale that much. Instead i play solos (rythym of lead) that have the techniques that i want to improve. At the end of the day, i learn the solo and improve a little those techniques, both in one lick.
i listen to bands that i like and figure out what they are doing. once i figure it out, i just try to incorporate it into my playing...whether it be a weird rhythm or note pattern, i take from that and do my own thing.

and sometimes its fun to take a riff you like and change up the notes/rhythm/pattern and see what you get. add some galloping or ska rhythm or palm muting or slides or hammer-on/pull-offs. you have a lot of techniques right at your finger tips, literally.
if i cut off your arms and legs
and wrap you in some fucked-up cocoon,
would you still look at me and say
"you can't catch what you can't see"
well i caught you honey,
like the clap sugar.
what do you think of that?
Quote by Jackson > you
learn to play songs that are almost too difficult for you to play, then once you master it youve obviously improved. going from not physically capable of playing a song to having it mastered means you progressed

thats always a good way...plus learn a song from a foreign genre...(i dont mean like Middle eastern...altho that is always a good learn...) but like new musicians and artisits
you have writers block. Everyone is going to post here trying to tell you how you need to speed up your playing with a metronome-- I mean thats ok but you really need to free play if you are learning only theory at the moment. Guitarists tend to get writers block after they learn alot of theory are once.

you should check out marty friendmen of megadeath... he has a video out maybe you should get it off kazaa because he talks about the writers block and scaling etc.

the truth is, if you can master the scales, you can master any song.