Ok I have a Peavey ValveKing 112 All Tube Combo and a Maxon OD9 and Boss GE7 EQ. I am running them through my ESP LTD F-250. I cannot get a good sound at all. I have screwed around with the settings and just cannot make it sound anywhere near heavy enough for Children of Bodom kind of stuff. I think part of the problem may be that tube amps don't sound as good until they are really cranked up but I really can't turn it up that loud because everyone complains when I do. So please, any advice at all is welcomed. I can change things up, send things back, etc.
Last edited by AWguitar at May 8, 2006,
firs off, the tube thing just kinda sucks in general, because you're right, they don't sound good unless it's cranked, and those suckers can get loud. I have two suggestions: go with a desktop processor or a small solid state combo for practicing and save the peavey 112 for gigging, or you can get a power attenuator, ahich is basically a box that runs from the amp to the speaker(im not sure if it will work with a combo though...). It allows you to crank up the levels on the tubes to get that great crunchy distortion without blowing out the windows.

PS: for a suggestion with the GE7 EQ, make sure you don't go scooped out mids. If you're looking for CHildren of Bodom thrash, make sure you have plenty of mids in ther for that ball rattling tone.
bee yatch
KISS: keep it simple stupid

forget the EQ as of now for a bit.

plug your guitar into your OD9 and your OD9 into your amp. EQ your amp for some metal EX) crank your highs and lows and back off the mids.

now on your OD9 set the Drive to about 2 or 3 (assuming the dials went to 10), the Tone at 5, and the Level all the way up.

make sure the gain on the amp is all the way up too. tweak the Tone on the OD9 for your liking. and if you really need to you might wanna push the Drive up on the OD9 to like 4 or 5. i wouldnt go any higher then that...

and thats basically how to boost a classic rockish amp into metal territory...
is a roland cube 60 the best solid state amp under $500? if not what is?
kurd, the only problem with your suggestion is that he runs into the whole volume issue again. using a tube amp (especially one that size) for just jamming out in your room usually isn't a good idea. and the roland cube series is the greatest thing to happen to guitars since electricity.
bee yatch
Quote by jpburns88
kurd, the only problem with your suggestion is that he runs into the whole volume issue again. using a tube amp (especially one that size) for just jamming out in your room usually isn't a good idea. and the roland cube series is the greatest thing to happen to guitars since electricity.

i know about pushing the tubes. but with the Drive cranked on his OD9 he wont have to crank the thing to get high gain sounds. im agreeing with you.

but "and the roland cube series is the greatest thing to happen to guitars since electricity."...? youre overexaggerating i hope. great amp but not THAT great.

and besides...wouldnt GUITARS be the greatest thing to happen to guitars since electricity?
Don't get a SS combo. Get a power attenuator for it. That'll give you a cranked tone at lower volumes.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)