I was planning on buying the ESP LTD EX-400BD guitar and noticed it has an 81 in the neck and a 60 in the bridge. I play lead guitar and like to shred will the 81 and 60 deliver the kind of sound I need?
They should, haven't played them recently though.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
yea the emg 81 is a great pickup for dirty sounds, and the 60 is great for clean leads. Im bad at explaining sounds of pickups but theyre great i have that combo to.
Actually, on that guitar the 81 is in the bridge and the 60 is in the neck. Yes, those pick-ups will do fine for what you do.
Quote by blmstng7
I was planning on buying the ESP LTD EX-400BD guitar and noticed it has an 81 in the neck and a 60 in the bridge. I play lead guitar and like to shred will the 81 and 60 deliver the kind of sound I need?

you may want to re-check where your pickups are as theres supposed to be a 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck
That's the setup most people want who have both 81's like Me.
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
It's 81/60 which means 81b/60n

60 is a great neck pup, good cleans and a nice distorted tone

81 is a good really tight bridge pickup, very high output.

I prefer the 85/60 pickup combo, but the the 81/60 is amazing.
haha
Quote by blmstng7

I have that same guitar.

Like the others have mentioned, its 81 bridge and its really high output. The 81 has more of scooped mids tone than the 85, so if you're a mid*****, you might be better off with an 85. You can always boost your mids on your amp or EQ pedal and even that out a little. Either way, its great for anything metal, distorted, and heavy. Cleans are meh. A little too bright and trebly for me, but thats what the 60 is for.

The 60 is the neck and produces bright, sparkling cleans and with a mild overdrive can get a great single coil-esque bluesy tone. I love using this with massive amounts of gain for sweep picking. So smooth. Like butter.

The guitar itself (EX-400BD) is very well make and surprisingly light. Mine weighs in right at 7lb 9oz, just a few ounces more than my Strat. The neck is slightly heavy (common with Explorer style guitars), but with a decent strap, you shouldn't even notice. I highly reccomend this guitar. Just watch it when bumping the corners. Sharp points chip easily on any guitar.
Founder of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM me to join.
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
ak guitarist doesn't dress in the morning. he kills throughout the day and attires himself appropriately

Just listen to Metallica and listen to James Hetfield play. He has the 81/60 set up in his ESP explorer too! =) It's such an awesome combo! I'm getting those pickups installed soooon.
Got METAL?

Quote by metacarpi
However, if we're being all grown up about this (in the pit?) walkingonspikes is dead on
yeah the 60 is a very bassy tone (great cleans)
81 is just about everyone EMG bridge pup

(Though i use and 85 for my Scooped heavy Death metal didstion)
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3