Hey

So I'm getting a half-stack for my birthday, and I'm wondering how many watts and ohms would be best for the head and the head.

I think it's best if the cab is 2x as many watts as the head, so as to give "head room"... but I'm not sure.

Also, what if they're different ohms. I saw a good deal on a marshall head, which was 8 ohms, and it was on top of a 4 ohm cab. I think it's likely that that arrangement was meant to be a full stack.

Thanks

edit: i tihnk it's the other way around... more wattage in the head than in teh cab. I have no clue, though.

Can't hit me!

www.myspace.com/captaincoffin
Last edited by joebeta at May 9, 2006,
Hey Bob, lol.

You probably want a cab that has a wattage rating equal to or higher than the head. If you intend to blast it really really loud, get a cab with a higher wattage rating. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.

Amps always have a minimum impedance load. Heads will usually say "minimum 4 ohms." So if you had a 250W head, and it had a minimum load of 4 ohms, you can either buy a 4 ohm cab or an 8 ohm cab. 4 ohm cabs offer least resistance, so you get more wattage.

You should know this boy, I've explained it to you multiple times.
Oh crap!
Now try and explain with use of the word power instead of wattage love you really

Which marshall is it? if it's an MG or an AVT then get something else...don't buy stuff just 'cause it says marshall on, they sound reeeeeaallly bad - i had one
id sig you but i have no room lol. so ill just bow down to your username

deg0ey
Member of UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
It seems like he wants a Marshall MG or something, honestly, don't get it man, or at least compare it to loads of decent valve amps, then decide if you still want it (you shouldn't do)
And is there really any need for you to get a half stack?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30