I've had my starter guitar for around 2 years now (a cheap stratocaster copy) and I'm really looking for a way to improve the sound on it, but I don't have enough money to buy a new guitar. I was wondering if there are many ways I could improve the sound on it, or whether it's always doomed to be a bad guitar. All I can think of is installing new pickups, but is there anything else? thanks
Get a good distortion pedal and it will make it sound great. I'd reccomend an MT-2 because that made my cheap strat copy sound really good.
My Gear:
Epiphone SG
Vintage SG
Stagg Strat (With replaced hardware and a Duncan Invader )
Hohner Strat
No name Acoustic
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Boss DS-1
Roland Cube 60
Wires and patch cords and stuff..
My amp is a marshall mg30dfx, I've heard they are absolute crap from many forums on here, so would getting a new one really solve the problem of the tinny sound of my strat copy?

PS. I already have a Boss DS-2 distortion pedal
Its a strat copy so its not gonna sound great whatever amp you have. How much money do u have to spend?
My Gear:
Epiphone SG
Vintage SG
Hohner Strat
No name Acoustic
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Boss DS-1
Roland Cube 60
well Somewhere in the region of 100-200 GBP would probably be ideal. Would buying a new amp AND installing new pickups raise the bar enough for me to be pleased with the sound, I'm not proffessional so it doesn't need to be absolutely perfect.
for £200 u cud just get a new guitar! Vintage VS6.
My Gear:
Epiphone SG
Vintage SG
Hohner Strat
No name Acoustic
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Boss DS-1
Roland Cube 60
well first off you say you dont have the movie for a new guitar. and then you go straight into wanting a new amp AND pickups? keep what you got for now, and save up. first, get a decent guitar. and then save for a better amp.

thats what id do at least.
Keep in mind that a good amp can make a bad guitar sound ok .. and a bad amp can make your dream guitar sound bad.

If you're going on tone alone I would recommend getting a new amp first. If you get a new guitar first you will be all excited you got this new instruments it's gonna sound great etc. etc. and then you bring it home and plug it into your little practice amp and it doesn't sound much better than your old guitar.

Of course .. as a guitar teacher, and from a learning point of view .. a bad instrument can lead to bad habits. I hate seeing kids learning to play on really bottom of the line cheap instruments if they can afford something better. The action is usually set poorly with no way of adjusting it, the frets wear down very quickly, the tuners are cheap so they don't hold the strings very well and they're always coming out of tune, there's fret buzz so the student tends to avoid playing certain notes etc.

So figure out which is more important to you .. sound or playability .. and go from there. For sound get a new amp first, for playability / learning .. get a better instrument.