I was just wondering if it is posible to put a humbucking in the bridge possition of a strat???? and also wonuld it be much work and would t be easy to get a pickguard for it???????? as thia would be my first moding project?? below is a pic of what i wanna do,
Jesus had long hair, and he was all like For those about to rock, I salute you.

Corporate Rock Sell Outs

Member # 24 of Metallica Mensa

President of the Daron Malakian is God Club
pm me to join
Hey there!!
It's probably not the mod I would suggest for a first experience. You can get the pickguard routed for an HSS configuration, but if you want to keep the other two single coil pickups, you'll have to solder the new humbucker in yourself. There are companies out there that sell the whole pickguard, wired with configuration you want also.
The other consideration would be routing the body for the humbucker. You'll need a template and a router. It doesn't have to be pretty and keep in mind that the pickguard will cover the bigger hole that you have to put in the body anyway. It's also reassuring that the pickups are secured to the pickguard instead of the body. That way, you don't have to be as technical with your cutting.
I thought routing shouldn't be a problem as modern strats are generally routed with a long universal pool-shaped route for all 3 pickups beneath the pickguard?

I'm pretty sure of this, but can someone confirm for me if this is correct as I'd like to get a strat and do a similar mod.
OK then so this mod would be to hard fo rme so whta would be a good firtsrt ime mod for a beginer???????????? just in mind i dont hav that much cash but im open to all ideas just tell what to do and what it would improve ok

Corporate Rock Sell Outs

pm me to join
Ignore these n00bs.

You have a Squier Strat, so it has a HB rout already in the bridge position. Go buy a new pickguard, there are plenty of places to get them. Now take off your strings, pickguard, etc. and desolder the bridge pickup. Solder in your new one and put all the parts on the new pickguard, and restring! All done!

It's very easy, and a PERFECT first modding project!

I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Two things to make sure of if you do buy that bridge humbucker:

1. Make sure it's F-spaced;
2. Make sure it has four conductor wires (it should if it's F-spaced, but you never know).
ohh so i could just buy the pickguard with humbuck in bridge postion and unsolder the oringal and solder in the one

does any one know i good easy first project easyer then this one?????

Corporate Rock Sell Outs

pm me to join
Hmm, I heard changing strings is a great mod for any guitar.

Really, putting a hum in is about as simple as they get.
ok so putting ina hum is easy what kind off humm sould i buy i have a prise range of bout $170AUD i play grungy metal stuff so what u think sould i get????????? what what diff it would make?

Corporate Rock Sell Outs

pm me to join
Quote by ban rap
Two things to make sure of if you do buy that bridge humbucker:

1. Make sure it's F-spaced;
2. Make sure it has four conductor wires (it should if it's F-spaced, but you never know).

F spaced isn't a must, but its better.

And 4 conductor wiring isn't essential at all, unless you want to split it.

And threadstarter, type intelligently, its painfully bad.
so that im kinder a noob but i just would hate to buy the wrong one

Corporate Rock Sell Outs

pm me to join
Quote by nirvana_freak01
so that im kinder a noob but i just would hate to buy the wrong one

Do you mean to say "Sorry that I'm kind of a noob, but I just would hate to buy the wrong one."

If thats what you mean to say, type it like that.

As for your pickup choice, I've actually had pretty good results with an SD Pearly Gates...sounds really grungy with the right amp settings.

What sort of amp do you have?
Ohh ok how are thosse would u think in australiain dollars i own a ****ty little 10 watt squire amp but upgrading to a marshall Mg15CDR
sorry bout the thing above
"sorry i am kind of a noob i just would hate to buy the wrong one"
ill check out the SD Pearly Gates

Corporate Rock Sell Outs

pm me to join
Please don't buy the MG, it won't be much of an upgrade from your squire. I will probably get flamed to all hell for this but i'll do it anyway. I had a quick play with an SP-10 at school (by quick i mean like 5-10 minutes) I actually liked the distortion channel on it, more than the schools MG100FX. Seriously, just save up some more money and get a better amp.

As for the modding front, the first thing i ever modded on my guitar was put in a killswitch, almost the simplest thing ever to do. You might want to look into that if you don't feel confident with expensive pickups yet.
Quote by chillininfl
dude, you don't even deserve her. women deserve respect. not rights, but respect. =]
Quote by GiantRaven
Having absolutely no body hair streamlines you. Means you can play guitar faster

iwishiwasafish..>

realy the MG is ****????? i quite like the distortion on my sp10 aswel very nice and nice but i got a DS-2 so yeh i play it mosty on a behringer 120 watt at school so what amp u reacon good for about 200-250 AUD ????????

Corporate Rock Sell Outs

pm me to join
Quote by nirvana_freak01
iwishiwasafish..>

realy the MG is ****????? i quite like the distortion on my sp10 aswel very nice and nice but i got a DS-2 so yeh i play it mosty on a behringer 120 watt at school so what amp u reacon good for about 200-250 AUD ????????

What sort of sound are you after? If i had that to spend i'd probably get one of these.
http://www.musicianswarehouse.com.au/default.aspx?Pg=21&ProductCode=EPAIBKJR
or a roland cube 15.
dave293...>

im after a kind of metaly/grungy sound but i also liek nice clean tones alswel im a noob so plz advice me in what i could get i will go up to about 320 my top amount ok

Corporate Rock Sell Outs

pm me to join
To be honest, I really don't know what all the hype for the cube is all about. My school recently got about 4 or 5 Cube30's and a couple of Bass Cube60's. I've been playing around with them for a while and i can't really find something that suits how I play. I do however love the bass cubes (Mind you I don't know that much about bass).

I'd definately look into the Epi amp posted above, I played one of these recently in my local store and absolutely loved the tone. I'm not sure how it would do for metal, but with your DS2 you should be allright. You should also look into an equalizer pedal, for cheap I recommend the Behringer one, not the best but it gets the job done.

http://www.musicianswarehouse.com.au/default.aspx?Pg=21&ProductCode=EPAIBKJR
Quote by chillininfl
dude, you don't even deserve her. women deserve respect. not rights, but respect. =]
Quote by GiantRaven
Having absolutely no body hair streamlines you. Means you can play guitar faster

nah i dont liek that epi it probly realy good but im looking for a 15watt or liek a 20 or 30 maybe teh biggest bang for my buck imafter alrite im whiling to spend $320AUD

Corporate Rock Sell Outs

pm me to join
^ The epi is 5 watt tube so it will be louder than a 5 watt solid state, if thats what your thinking. The cube is more suited too metal though.
like said,
ive got the 5 w epi head. its really loud. but ull need to buy pedals for heavy stuff.

the micro cube is nice because its got good tone and has several usable effects in a high gain amp.

also, like said, look under the pickguard see if u have space to fit a humbucker.
if u do, then buy a humbucker that best suits ur music tastes.

grunge? i dont know, i didnt see what u play.

and lastly, buy a good amp BEFORE u swap pickups. or u wont even notice the change.
amps and effect pedals offer the most noticable change.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Pick up suggestion: Something with about 16k in resistance. I think the Pearly Gates wouldn't be that great with the Squier amp.

Amp Suggestion: Vox AD15VT, AD30VT, or Roland Micro Cube. The Cube 15 isn't as great as you would think, the real shiners in the Cube family are the Micro, 30, and 60. The Vox's will do metal (with the right pedals, the DS-2 should do fine) and grunge.