Well i just replaced my strings, its something i've never attempted before, always got someone else to, but i figured i should work it out one day.. its a 5 string bass, replaced the bottom string (b) it looks a bit unconventional but the string is taught, but i'm getting a terrible sound out of it, kind of rattly and tinny i guess is the word, is it something i've done or could it be cheap strings? if i haven't given enough info please ask, got some playing to do later and going to be ****ed if it isn't done by then... cheers
Quote by MastaBassist10
Bloke is very right. Gooooo Bloke!

god i hate asking stupid questions but... what is fret buzz and how can it be fixed? as for if there heavier guage i don't think so, but to be honest i don't know what gauge i used last time, if its thicker its not by much..
Quote by MastaBassist10

Dont forget to stretch in your strings first to avoid getting fret buzz even after you've raised the action.
Been away, am back
alright cheers for the advice, i'm pretty sure the strings aren't hitting any of the frets and am 99% sure its the same gauge as before, which were fine, could it just be a case of wearing them in? i mean the sound is absolutely terrible at the moment, but could that be it?
Quote by MastaBassist10

Yes, the tinny noise is normal, just give it a day and it will go away.
Yep, if it's sort of a twang! noise you are hearing, it is just the new strings getting "broken in" give it a while and/or stretch them.

cheers, completely restrung it, i'll give it a day and see what happens, sound a bit better since i played some stuff on it, so hopefully thats all it is, cheers for the help
Quote by MastaBassist10